The goal: FSB>475MHz

lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
edited August 2009 in Hardware
Last night, I was playing with some settings in the BIOS, and was successfully able to get my PC to POST and run memtest86+ at FSB speeds of up to 510MHz. The problem is, as soon as I start trying to actually boot windows, I get lockups above 475. Just need to figure out what's getting unstable!

Comments

• ThraxThrax ๐ŸŒ Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    What have you done with your NB voltage or GTL reference voltage?
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2009
    Have played with MCH voltages between 1.24 and 1.32V, can't get it windows-stable above 475MHz, although it seems to be memtest-stable at 510MHz with 1.28v MCH core.

I'm actually not quite sure what GTL reference voltage is.

Edit - I think it's actually named differently in the Gigabyte BIOS. What you refer to as GTL reference is probably CPU reference or northbridge reference or something like that. There are options for reference voltages for 3 or 4 different things in the MIT settings.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited August 2009
    http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40747

A good read and some good links in the writeup. IMO, your at the stage where you'll have to start tweaking the reference voltages. If it's the rig listed in your profile, I don't think the 8 gigs of ram are doing you any favors.

You could also drop the multi of the CPU, and see if you hit a roadblock upping just the fsb.
    edited August 2009
    TL;DR version (yes, really) of the GTL Reference Voltage:

Intel chipsets use a type of voltage signaling called A/GTL+, or Assisted Gunning Transceiver Logic+. A/GTL+ is a set of reference voltage levels that the CPU uses to determine whether a signal is high (binary 1) or low (binary 0).

Precise circuitry on every Intel motherboard regulates this reference voltage as a percentage of the vTT, or what systems with BIOS vTT control often call the "FSB termination voltage" or "vTerm."

The standard A/GTL+ voltage swing is between 0.4v and 1.2v, with the reference voltage pegged at 0.8v. If the signal rises above 0.8v and falls within or above the rising noise margin (รขโ€ฐยฅ0.9v), it's a binary 1. If it ducks below 0.8v and falls within or below the falling noise margin (roughly รขโ€ฐยค0.7v), it's a 0.

agtl.png

NOTE: The noise margin is an arbitrary voltage threshold that's supposed to filter out ringback.

Now we need to discuss that ringback phenomenon. When the FSB's signal is rising from low voltage to high voltage, or falling from high to low, we can say that it is rising to the pull-up voltage or falling to the pull-down voltage, respectively.

In the case of rising to the pull-up: The FSB signal has a tendency to overshoot its target voltage and then strongly dip back under the target before resting in the settling limit. This strong dip under the target is ringback.

In the case of falling to the pull-down: The FSB signal can overshoot the target voltage (counter-intuitively called undershoot, even though it's going over), and then bounce back up above the target before eventually settling out. This jump over the target is also called ringback.

Now, if a signal has ringback that crosses into the noise margins, or <i>especially</i> beyond the noise floor/ceiling, the A/GTL+ circuit could mistakenly interpret that as a 1 or 0: This will corrupt data on the bus by introducing data that didn't come from the input. Hello bluescreen! Hello boot failures! Hello hard locks!

agtl2.png

Let's establish a few things:
    1. The CPU and the northbridge operate on split power planes, which means that each voltage has its own GTLREFv multiplier.
    2. The CPU's GTLREFv multiplier is usually 0.67x, or 2/3 the vTT.
    3. The typical GTLREFv is 0.8v.
    4. If the CPU reference threshold is 0.8v and that is 2/3 of the vTT, the default vTT must be 1.2v (it is).
    5. The northbridge GTLREFv multiplier is usually 0.61x or 0.63x, or 61% and 63% of the vTT.
    6. Using the same maths, we can then decipher that the MCH uses areference voltage of 0.75v or 0.73v.
    7. Intel specifies a maximum vTT of 1.55v.

BASIC ADVICE:
    Rising to the pullup target of 1.2v is harder for the signal to do than cutting power to the pulldown target. Ringback on a rising signal is usually the culprit of the blue screens, crashing and freezing people see when overclocking a quad into 500MHz territory.

Lowering the CPU & MCH Reference Voltages ever so slightly can keep the strong rising ringbacks on a high FSB from plunging beneath the noise floor to create false data on the bus.

agtl3.png
    The rising FSB clock has ringback below the noise floor at 0.8v GTFLREFv

agtl4.png
    Lowering the noise floor to 0.73v (GTFREFv 0.61x) keeps the strong ringback within tolerances

Always tweak the GTLREFv before touching the VTT. Because the VTT sets the high voltage point for the core components in the system, raising the VTT will make everything work harder to hit a higher voltage which means more heat and reduce component longevity. Also, raising the VTT without adjusting the GTL Reference multiplier will raise the reference voltage instead of lowering it as is often necessary.

I hope this has given you the appropriate insight on the issue.
    edited August 2009
    That definitely helps my understanding of what the reference multipliers do. I'm going to check the bios and see what settings I have available to this effect.

Edit: I have CPU Reference, MCH Reference, and MCH/DRAM reference. Problem is, all of them seem to be expressed as actual voltages, not ratios. I tried messing with the CPU term voltage, but any setting other than "Normal" seems to cause a no-post at 500MHz FSB.

Second edit. Meant CPU REFERENCE voltage, not term voltage. I need a coffee, just got up.
    edited August 2009
    The default CPU reference is 0.8v.
    The default MCH reference is around 0.73v.

You'll want to bring those down to around, say 0.73v (CPU) and 0.71v (MCH), if not slightly lower.

Also make sure that your FSB is using the 333 or 400MHz strap, and that you've boosted the vMCH to somewhere +0.15 or +0.2v range. I forget the default vMCH so I cannot give precise values for that.

Also loosen up your timings on the DRAM as far as they will go and use 2.1v for that.
    edited August 2009
    I've given up on it, after playing with different FSB termination / MCH reference combinations for about 2 hours. Best I could do was to get windows to boot and at least start prime95, with cores 1 and 2 immediately dying with rounding errors.

Maybe I just don't have the patience for it. The intel matrix storage manager has been starting to detect errors on the raid1 boot array as well, meaning I'm gradually corrupting things on the drive with this experimentation.
    edited August 2009
    Update - through some more tweaking and use of the 7x multiplier, I've managed to stabilize my system @ 490MHz FSB. Unfortunately, I also seem to have passed a breakpoint at that level where running the 8x multiplier for 3.92GHz, my CPU requires more voltage. Realtemp indicates during the 8k FFTs test that my delta to Tj Max is only about 12-15C, so unless I switch to water cooling, I don't think I can run my PC at that speed.

I have determined my system to be absolutely stable @ 466MHz FSB (3.72GHz CPU) with 8GB of ram installed and very modest voltages. I've decided this is where I'll keep it, it should be my best bet for performance without killing the PC too quickly.
    edited August 2009
    Oh, you have 8GB of memory? You'd most likely be at 500 if you didn't.
    edited August 2009
    I did actually try pulling two sticks out and testing it like that for a while... curiously, the board still didn't cooperate that well at speeds above 475MHz. Maybe there's a setting I'm missing, maybe I've just got a weird board...

I dunno. In any case, as I mentioned I have to give my CPU too much voltage for my current cooling setup above 475, so I'm sticking with my 466 24/7 OC with 8GB ram. :)
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    What does your computer do?
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/memory/2008/07/08/is-more-memory-better/6
    If its not a server, you would probley benefit from the extra fsb/clock speed over the extra 4gigs of ram that more than likely sit unused most of the time.
    edited August 2009
    It's a gaming system, so yes, it would benefit more from being clocked to 3.92 than it would having 3.72 and 8GB of ram. The problem is, as I mentioned above, the amount of voltage I have to feed the CPU to keep it stable @ 3.92 is a bit too high... I come within 12C of TjMax running 8k FFTs. At my current setting I only come within 25C.
    edited August 2009
    What kind of core temp under full load? I don't think in thermal deltas. ;)
    edited August 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    What kind of core temp under full load? I don't think in thermal deltas. ;)

Yorkfield quads have a TjMax of 100C, I believe, so that would be load temp of 88C. 25C from TjMax is hot (75C) but within tolerable limits, as Tcase has not passed intel's spec max (70C) although it is probably close.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited August 2009
    Just curious, how much voltage?
    I know above 3.8 my q9550's were starting to take quite a bit more voltage for stability (and a bunch of tweaking) The only one I have left is sitting at 8.5x472 on a UD3R. I was pulling for you to hit 475fsb.

Do you have a fan blowing onto the NB and ram? It might help you some.
    When my load temps hit the 65c range, I quit pushing and went water.

FWIW, I'm at 1.35volts +/- for 4.0, I believe it was 1.27 for 3.8
    edited August 2009
    I'm at 1.35 w/vdroop enabled for 466... I believe it holds at 475, however I start having to give the NB extra voltage beyond my comfort range at that point (it's passively cooled and I have it at 1.24v already). The CPU has a Thermaltake Big Typhoon on it, and the case is a Cooler Master HAF 932, so there's plenty of airflow. At 490MHz, I had to feed the CPU 1.4v to get it stable, and combined with the higher FSB termination voltage it was taking, the CPU was getting far too hot (load temp 88C).