If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

I really need opinions on this...

TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
edited Aug 2009 in The Pub
I am going to school to get an Associates degree as a System Administrator.
I just started last year, I took a bunch of math and English and stuff.

Well this fall semester I signed up for the first required networking class. (Networking 1). In my campus book there is no pre-req for this class. Today was my first day in this class. It seemed really cool. I liked it. Until my professor told me that I should not take this class without taking "CT 209, computer repair". He told me it would teach me about computer hardware and how to take a computer apart.

Well I already know how to do all that. I already know about the hardware. And it was not even required in my course guide. The Professor kind of shot me down, without even asking me how much I knew. (maybe it is because I look so young)

I took two classes at my city's career center. Certified Internet Webmaster, and Linux System Administrator. I learned A LOT about networking in these classes.

I have a outline here, of what the Networking 1 class would go over,
Week one says: Introduction to Windows vista
Week two says: Installing Windows Vista
Week three says: Using System Utilities
Week four says: Managing disks
And so on
Networking doesn't even come until week 8. Then remote access. Non of this seems new to me. I learned about remote access and a decent amount of networking at my career center.

This kind of stuff is easy to me. I have installed Operating systems on many computers. Right now, I am dual booting Vista and Fedora.

Basically I CAN stay in this class if I want, but the professor is telling me that I SHOULD take the other class first. Now, normally I would listen. The man is clearly a lot wiser than me. But unfortunately I am really bad on money right now. I don't want to pay for a class that is gonna teach me a bunch of stuff that I already know. Especially if it is not even a requirement. The prof. just says that I SHOULD.

BUT, I would feel really stupid if in the middle of the semester I got completely lost.

What do you guys/gals think I should do? You think I should suck it up and take the other class first even if its a waist of money. Or, should I just stick with this networking 1?

I would like to hear all your opinions please. :)

EDIT:
The reason I put this in the pub, instead of Networking is because it is more about school.

Comments

• RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited Aug 2009
    I would make an appointment to see your tutor outside of class so that you can discuss your ability and what your requirements are.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited Aug 2009
    RichD wrote:
    I would make an appointment to see your tutor outside of class so that you can discuss your ability and what your requirements are.

I would check with a counselor. Let them know what the Prof. said and explain your situation to him/her. Your counselor will communicate with your Professor for you if need be. Last thing you want to do it call out a teacher and get on their bad side.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited Aug 2009
    If you can build a computer from scratch; understand what the parts of a computer are by sight; if you can do general trouble shooting on a computer; if you know the differences between intel, AMD, DDR1-DDR3, STA vs SCSI vs IDE; if you are confident enough on installing an OS, repairing an OS, dual booting between OS's and actually know the real names of parts.

You are fine to skip that course. I'd still suggest talking to a counselor and/or a TA would be worth while, also see if you can talk to any other students that have taken that class and see what they say.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited Aug 2009
    Second the School councilor... Talk to them about you life experience and that the instructor suggested take a prep class. Let them know that you are more than able to keep up in the networking class and feel the building a PC class would not gain you much.

Aside from that... keep going to the Networking class. ;)
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited Aug 2009
    You should also ask at a counseling center if there is an opportunity to test out of the class, if they say you need to take it.

Often, schools don't care if you already know how to do something...because what matters is what's on your transcript. It's also a way to get more money out of you. But who knows, maybe you would learn more than what you already know from taking apart computers.
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited Aug 2009
    Alright
    Thanks a lot for the replies! :)
    I am going to try to see counselor today. Hopefully I will get this all sorted out.