DOTA reborn: Three games inspired by the legendary WC3 mod

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    And with that, I'd like to also congratulate Nemikan on his first published piece with IC Gaming. Welcome to it! :)
  • waxwax the neroberg Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    wonder where the idea for this article came from... :D... good work nemikan
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited September 2009
    Really enjoyed this article, thank you.
  • GattsuGattsu Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    This article is Gattsu approved. Well done Nemi.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited September 2009
    Damn nice article! Very thorough!
  • edited October 2009
    You should probably also mention that League of Legends will be free on release. The 29.99 Collector's Edition only gets you access to some 20 champions right away that are simply unlocked by playing the game and some riot store points although they have stated that nothing in the Riot Store will affect gameplay. Its all cosmetic stuff or unlocking champions earlier.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Thanks for the tip, anon :)
  • edited October 2009
    you forgot to mention that DOTA even has better variety of items and also every version is something new
  • NemikanNemikan Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    mk36 wrote:
    you forgot to mention that DOTA even has better variety of items and also every version is something new

Variety of item depends on how you look at them. Dota has a lot of items, but they have been created over the years. For a game just starting out, you have to assume it won't have as many.

As for something new every version, that would be every patch, which LoL and HoN do as well. Sometimes the patches are hotfixes or improvements to the game, so just because it doesn't have a new hero or new items every version doesn't mean it isn't a valuable patch.
  • edited August 2010
    Good reviews, i play both hon and lol, demigod seems like "meh"..... there is no others like these 2 games though ?
  • edited January 2011
    yeah i ve played dota hon and lol .. i think that HoN is the best. why ? there is no problem with patching HoN but if u want play LoL after patching u cannot beacouse patch make problem with downloading. thats why u must download stand alone game every tiem when they make patch. sad isnt it ? with HoN there is no such a problem.
    edited January 2011
    Kwaskoman wrote:
    yeah i ve played dota hon and lol .. i think that HoN is the best. why ? there is no problem with patching HoN but if u want play LoL after patching u cannot beacouse patch make problem with downloading. thats why u must download stand alone game every tiem when they make patch. sad isnt it ? with HoN there is no such a problem.

There isn't a problem with league of legends either... It takes approximately the same time to patch league of legends and HoN, except that League of legends has a regular cycle where it releases a new hero about every 3 weeks. Why do you think they are making you download the full game every time...?
    edited January 2011
    On another note... as of now I have taken my preference with League of Legends. Since the initial launch, I have been happily amazed with their ability as a company to create a much better community than that of Dota and HoN. They are continually releasing new content (as I said in my above post a new hero about every three weeks), all for a cost of... free. They are constantly balancing the game to the point where no hero is unplayable, and even the "worst" of heroes I've seen dominate in a game. They have made the learning curve much easier than HoN or Dota ever wa by adding a guided battle system to teach new players which includes teaching positioning to avoid being ganked. Riot Games continues to surprise me with their dedication to the community and improving it all while making a solid game that has been a ton of fun for me and my friends to play. I applaud your efforts Riot Games.

HoN on the other hand has realised that LoL has been successful, and due to their success they created a new version of HoN named HoN 2.0 which includes a new mode "casual mode" which is roughly the same mechanics as league of legends. This alone tells me a lot...
  • Lol
    edited June 2011
    I wanted to add that LoL has got a terrible community as well. The game is great, I really like it; but the community is seriously bad. A bunch of kids cursing at you everytime something goes wrong. You die, your team starts swearing at you. One of your teammembers die, then it is your fault as well - get your b*tching. You kill someone, they throw some curse words at you. They kill you, youre a noob and they insult you as well. And I am a good player! Poor guys that dont do well.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Great article man! I must admit, I do play a DOTA mod in SC2 occasionally, and I greatly enjoy it. XD
  • edited July 2011
    naa, i have played HoN and LoL and i think that LoL is better, cuz league of legends is mor like a happy game with colors and more but HoN is more a darker and a harder game to under stand. this is a video that i recomend 4 the diffrence of the games: