Speaker to computers buzzer

edited October 2009 in Hardware
Hi,

I want to know if there is a way to connect a simple speaker to the computers buzzer.

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2009
    Buy a cheap pair of speakers that you can plug into a headphone jack. Then cut the headphone jack connector off and splice the two wires to the headphone jack to the two wires for the computer speaker and it should work in theory.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    You could also get a new little buzzer with the actual mother board pin-sockets attached. Looks like this:
    buzzer.jpg

but why? Is something wrong with the buzzer that you already have connected to the motherboard? Do you want it to do something differently?

Personally, I only ever even attach the buzzer if something is wrong, and I need to hear the post-codes.
  • edited October 2009
    Well lets jut put it this way. a program outputs its error sounds through the computers buzzer (dont ask why, there is a reason to it). But as the machine is in a crowded place, when an error occurs or warning, the user cannot hear it. So i want to connect a small speaker where the buzzer is for louder output.
    edited October 2009
    Well, simply connecting a speaker to the pins instead of a buzzer wont actually make any noise because of the signal type. The buzzer pins on the motherboard are simply an on/off circuit. They send electricity to the little piezo buzzer to make it buzz. Simply sending a current through a normal speaker wont produce a real sound of any kind because there is no information in the signal.

Would it work for the user if you hooked up an LED instead? I'm not sure what the power output is on the Motherboard buzzer pins (maybe someone else could chime in on that), but it should be enough to power a small diode. You could use a long wire, and put the light up on the desk, next to the monitor, so that he/she could see the error instead of listening for it.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Those 2 pins are also meant to connect the case speaker to, so yes you can attached something bigger.

Many cases come with a 1-2 inch diameter speaker, so yes it will handle something like that.

Good suggestion by CB as well.
    edited October 2009
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Many cases come with a 1-2 inch diameter speaker, so yes it will handle something like that.

I was under the impression that current motherboards only support a simple piezoelectric buzzer, and that they don't send any real sound information. Have you actually seen a real case speaker recently? I don't think I've had a case with a speaker in it since the 90's. (not trying to be snarky, just looking for confirmation)
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    I have a speaker from an old case that I use so I can hear beep codes on motherboards. I have attached this to many recent motherboards "speaker" header and it works fine.

I have boards here that have the speaker built on them and some also have the speaker pins for an external speaker, some don't.

I am making the assumption that the OP has a board with pins to connect a speaker to, yes.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    CB wrote:
    I was under the impression that current motherboards only support a simple piezoelectric buzzer, and that they don't send any real sound information. Have you actually seen a real case speaker recently? I don't think I've had a case with a speaker in it since the 90's. (not trying to be snarky, just looking for confirmation)

A piezoelectric speaker is the same as a mechanical speaker CB. An electric current causes a crystal to buzz in a piezo speaker, in a mechanical one the current causes two magnets to repel moving the cone producing noise. Any source that will drive a piezo speaker will drive a mechanical speaker as well. In fact, many home theater speakers now use piezoelectric tweeters in combination with mechanical mid ranges, woofers and/or subwoofers. They are completely interchangeable.