Why does XP want to run checkdisk every time PC is rebooted?

Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member
edited October 2009 in Science & Tech
The issue is that XP wants to run checkdisk every time my Dad reboots his PC. It only wants to check his d: drive which is a partition that he has a backup of his My Documents folder on. I have noticed when I show hidden files that he has a RECYCLER folder and System Information Volume on it (which is empty) so wasn't sure if these were the cause. I have deleted the RECYCLER folser and all other folders except the System Info Volume folder and that hasn't rectified the problem.

Basically my question is - if XP wants to run checkdisk on his secondary drive (partition) every time he reboots, is there an underlying problem with his HDD and therefore should I upgrade his HDD for him and do a clean install?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Recycler and System Information Volume are system folders that shouldn't be deleted. Also, are you letting the checkdisk run all the way through or is it being canceled?
  • Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member
    edited October 2009
    He has been letting it run all the way through on every occasion since the problem started a few weeks ago.

The RECYCLER folder and Sys Info Vol folder seem to have been copied across when he first backed up his info. When I go into into the properties of his Recycle Bin it has two Bins that you can manage either simultaneously or independently. I asked Windows to let me manage them independently and then it allowed me to get rid of the one on the d: partition. Reason being was that I initially just wanted to format the partition to see if that rectified the situation. We have backed up the data from the partition to an external HDD so no probs if we need to wipe it or format it, I just don't wanna muck around to much if the problem is with the actual physical components of the hard drive.

Should I just bite the bullet and get him a new HDD and clone his old one across?

BTW - thanks for such a speedy response!!!
    edited October 2009
    OK - all done. HDD is healthy so just forced the format and now all good. Still would love to know why Windows decided to insist on a checkdisk being run on every boot up though?!?!?!
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    edited October 2009
    Cool - thanks for that. Those links have some handy info too.
    Cheers.