Joomla Install Help -- :)

FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
edited October 2009 in Internet & Media
Hi Guy's and Gals.. I'm not sure if anyone is savvy with Joomla and hosting, etc but I've posted this on the actual Joomla forums and wondered if anyone here would also be able to provide any assistance?

Hi,

I've installed Joomla 1.5 on a previous hosting (Streamline) before now without any problems.

Now I have hosting with QiQ and I have uploaded all of the files and followed the guide word for word.. I then tried to initiate the install by going to the directory where I have uploaded the files to the server. I should get the first step in the install however, I get an error message (see below)

#######

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, <!-- e -->[EMAIL="webmaster@website"]webmaster@website[/EMAIL]and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.63 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at <!-- w -->www.princessnails.co.uk<!-- w --> Port 80

########

I have been in touch with the hosting support who has advised me that they do not have any problems with Joomla as they offer it with a 'better' package to which I declined as I do not need to go on a better package simply to install it when Joomla is a very easy package to install.

I do not have the versions of PHP, etc on the hosting as I am in work at present but if they are needed I will get them later. I do know that they are very current.

Can anyone help shed some light on this pain in the backside situation with the hosting?

Many thanks in advance for any help received. icon_biggrin.gificon_cheesygrin.gif

Thanks!!

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    My first guess? Permissions problem. Try setting all the Joomla stuff to 777 temporarily to see if that fixes it and work from there.
  • FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
    edited October 2009
    Ah, sorry.. Forgot to mention I already tried that and got the same thing.

If push comes to shove I will go back to my old hosting.. It's slightly more expensive but it worked first time. lol
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    If you are on shared hosting (and it sounds to me like you are) then they are probably running suphp. If anything is world writeable, it will throw a 500 error. This is a security measure in suphp. Make sure all your stuff has the minimum necessary permissions and is not world writeable then try again. If it still fails, see if you are able to read the apache error log (provided you have shell access to the box). It's usually located in either /var/log/apache/error_log or /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log. grep for the name of your script.
    edited October 2009
    I've tried changing the permissions on the install file and I still get the internal error on some combinations and other combinations I get "Restricted Access" which makes sense.

I'm not sure why it isn't working.. I'm going to upload the files when I get home from work to my Streamline hosting and see if it lets me load the initial page and decide from there what is best to do.
    edited October 2009
    it's not just the install file, if any directory from the web root to the file has world write enabled, suphp will throw a 500 error. This is why I'd suggest seeing if you can read the error log, that or contacting their support and asking them to provide you with the section of error log as to why the install script is dying. oh, depending on the setup it may be in suphp_error_log instead of just error_log
    edited October 2009
    Thanks for the info, after leaving it and then going back to the installation/install.php it somehow wanted to magically work.. i don't know if it just wanted to wait for the ftp permissions to update or what but it's now working.. will let you know the outcome once I update the site fully.

Thanks again
    edited October 2009
    All permissions take effect immediately. It's more likely that something was broken on the server and your hosting company fixed it. That or (if it's a CPanel server) the nightly upcp ran and one of their scripts fixed whatever problem you were having.
    edited October 2009
    It is a cpnal server to what i can see so I presume you are right and it got sorted.

Thanks again