Gastric Bypass - My road to becoming healthy

Comments

• AlidraAlidra Metro Detroit Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Thanks so much. Everyone!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Really incredible progress, Amanda. Looking fantastic!
  • ZenModeZenMode Royal Oak, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    I'm so proud of you, honey :)
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    I've been lurking in this thread for a while now, but wanted to say that your progress is nothing less than amazing. You're an inspiration for many people who have issues shedding the pounds. Congratulations and keep up the good work.
    edited December 2009
    Here is a 1 year side-by-side.
    l_c69de6ecc3fa494484e5fd27bfad78a0.jpg
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Man... what a huge difference. I've never met you but you deserve a hug. This years EPIC, I owe you. Hopefully my wife can get the lap band... did you do any research on the lap band option?
    edited December 2009
    I did, and it does have its advantages and disadvantages.

Pro:
    No dumping syndrome
    Can be removed
    Loosing weight more slowly and the effects on the skin

Con:
    Filling.
    Port for filling.
    Loosing weight more slowly.

Pros and Cons will be different for everyone. For me, it was needing to have the port right under the skin so that the ban could be filled, and the band needing tightening and all kinds of maintenance that was the deterrence. Whereas the RNY Bypass there is no maintenance. And my personal want for the weight loss to be done mostly after the first year was a big influence on my decision. I was a great candidate for the actual bypass where not everyone else may be.
    And thank you!! I will hold you to that hug!! <3
    edited December 2009
    I like big hugs... be warned. ;)

We'll see what my wife's doc says. She's already been approved to start the 1 year study/ prep. Add in knee pain, back pain, and so tired.
  • poofiepoofie Baltimore, MD Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    trufax about finding the right gym. for a year, i belonged to a gym that many Ravens cheerleaders frequented, and it just made me hate the gym. i hated going and using the treadmill or the circuit training stuff next to these girls whose job was to be skinny and cute and perky. mrgh.

the gym i belong to now is very basic, and everyone i see there has the same sort of no-nonsense, mind-your-business attitude that suits me and my leave-me-the-fuck-alone-when-i'm-this-sweaty-and-gross-feeling towards the gym.
    edited December 2009
    I think we've decided to switch gyms. This means I can do what I want and Zen can lifts weights with Thrax... I just can't wrap my head around lifting weights... Hopefully the change of scenery will help.
    edited December 2009
    Well... we found out this weekend that my wife has some liver problems and that may very well be the proof we need for the lap-band procedure. I've been telling her about your progress and she is encouraged and hope she can have similar results.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    I personally think that lifting weights is way easier and more fun than doing cardio which you've already been doing. If going to the gym for me was just weights, I'd have far less problems with making my big butt go. (God I hate cardio).
    edited December 2009
    QCH wrote:
    Well... we found out this weekend that my wife has some liver problems and that may very well be the proof we need for the lap-band procedure. I've been telling her about your progress and she is encouraged and hope she can have similar results.

Yeah, the more you have wrong the easier it is to get approved... a little backwards IMO, but both good and bad news for your wife... I'm sorry to hear about her liver problems, but glad it's just another point towards getting fully approved.

I'm on forums at Obesity Help. I've learned the most about others at that site... they have forums specifically for lap and RNY. It's been encouraging there.
    edited December 2009
    I personally think that lifting weights is way easier and more fun than doing cardio which you've already been doing. If going to the gym for me was just weights, I'd have far less problems with making my big butt go. (God I hate cardio).

It's just a self confidence and self image deal. I have zero self confidence and it's a rough struggle right now. I know things will change and I'm positive about it. I just hope the change of scenery will help.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    That's a confident person I see in your recent photos, Alidra. Keep up the good work, and I do hope switching gyms has a positive impact on your workout morale.
    edited December 2009
    I cannot wait for this damned holiday season to be over! So much focus is put on food and eating durring this season. If I see another cookie or pie I may just have to be sick!

Now, prior to surgery, my downfall was sweets. Cookies, cakes, chocolate, ice cream. They all had my number, and I loved each one fully, and without prejudice. They were my comfort in times of stress or sadness. They were my friend, and always there.

No matter what they tell you about not being able to tolerate sugar, (especially with the RNY bypass) everyone is different. Each body reacts differently to sugar, and as your healing progresses and you are further into your recovery, the more your body will tolerate. Sugar included.

For my first bout with sugar was with a protein cereal about 10 weeks or so after surgery. It ended poorly, and I was in excruciating pain for hours. 1/2c of this cereal... I think it was 9g or 11g of sugar per serving. Coupled with the sugar from my Silk (as I found I wasn't as dairy tolerant as I thought I was). It was a disaster.

Further on it got easier. I was able to tolerate the natural sugars, honey... fruit sugars, and eventually refined sugar. Cookies, pies, chocolate and ice cream... my friends were finally back in town.

I found that the stress or sadness I experienced had never left, and that I was able to tolerate my comforters again. I found that it was easy to derail yourself... one cookie at a time. Not to mention I looove to bake, and that my mum's business is "Angie's Sweet Treats". Not that it's an excuse, but it is defiantly a contributor. <O:p

So for the summary to all of this nonsense, I have a resolution for the new year. To get my dumb ass back on track and stop lollygagging about, and screwing up my goals. Refined sugar, to hell with you. New gym, at least twice a week (now that I have school in the evenings again).

I'm 5 months post op and have only lost 70 pounds. I'm proud of where I am, but I know I can do better. And my streamlining my nutritional intake (again) I hope to regain a loss of 10-15 pounds a month for the next 6 or 7 months.

So here's to the chicken fatoosh salad, and unsweetened ice tea I'm having for lunch.

Time to get myself in gear.

XX
    edited December 2009
    Goal

So, today I realized I'm only 70# away from goal... In the new year I'm going to kick ass!! I'm giving my self to my 1 year mark to loose that 70#. So... 7 months, 70#... loose 10# a month... I think that's reasonable.
    edited January 2010
    Several years ago I made a New Years Resolution. My resolution was to be a size 16 by the end of the year. The end of the year came and I was still not in that size 16. I was crestfallen, but life went on. When I began this journey I was in a size 24 pants. 24 pushing 26 to be honest.

Today I went to ICHQ. I went there wearing a pair of low rise size 16 jeans. It's my first weight related accomplishment in 2010. It may be 3 years to late, but I've finally achieved that goal.

Humility aside, I'm proud of myself.
    edited January 2010
    And you look great, Amanda :) Very inspiring.
    edited January 2010
    And you look great, Amanda :) Very inspiring.

Thank you! You mentioning me "melting away" made me stop and really take a look. It's been a month or so since I've last updated... I just stopped looking.
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    You look fantastic and you are gorgeous.

It's amazing to see how happier you look too, in your progress photographs! :)

Rock on, girl! <3
    edited January 2010
    Awesome!!! The weight is only one part, being healthier and feeling better about yourself are important too. From what you'd written, you have all three. ;)
  • LeahVoiceLeahVoice Hobgoblin of Good Grooming Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Amanda, looking at your "before" photos I can't beleive that it's the same person I saw at ICHQ. You look mah-va-lous, Darling!
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I never knew this thread existed. Wow, how did I miss it?

Congratulations on your progress so far. I will show my good lady this thread to encourage her with her weight loss (she has Krohns and was on steroids for years but finally had gall bladder surgery so she is off them and losing weight).

Inspiring.
    edited February 2010
    That's wonderful! My gallbladder surgery was so bad. Very painful! I hope hers went much better!

I know I've been slacking with updating. I'm going to post new photos soon. I'm down to 230 pounds, and in a size 16. I'm only 7 months into my journey! I have so far yet to go <3 I wish her the best of luck in her journey!
    edited March 2010
    Here's a photo update for you. Photos are taken about 9 months apart.

side+by+side.jpg
    edited March 2010
    WOW :wow:
    edited March 2010
    QCH wrote:
    WOW :wow:
    Hehe. Thanks. How is your wife's process coming along?
    edited March 2010
    I just saw Amanda today and it looks as if she's melting away :D
    edited March 2010
    She has some other issues to correct... hormones and chemical imbalances to get straightened up first. Odds are they are part of the problem with her gaining the weight and not being able to shed it. However, weight gain can cause the hormone and chemical imbalances. Catch-22. Either way, they correct them they may not be enough to allow her to drop the weight fast enough (ie, years and years to lose) so the normal issues (Fatty liver, knees, back, etc) will drive the insurance to OK the lap band or bypass.

She is so tired of the weight... Seeing how far you have come has helped solidify her resolve to be healthier and thus, weigh less.