Options

Anti Virus Pro, Malwarebytes, and now endless reboot loop

Hi. This is a long story. 1. I got Anti Virus Pro malware on my computer.
2. I had Malwarebytes, ran a quick scan, found the dangerous files, and did as malwarebytes suggested and removed those files. Then, it said changes will take effect after you reboot, so I did.
3. My computer, Emachines with Windows XP, doesn't reach the log in screen . Before that, it shows a black screen with the white code letters, saying that something has happened and do i want to start windows normally or with previous settings. I said start it normally and pressed enter. It goes ahaed, and for a split second I see a bright blue screen(death) but it goes away and my computer completely reboots again, prompting again how I want to start windows. I've done all the options- start windows normally, start with previous settings, safe mode, etc.
4. Why is this happening when malwarebytes removed my dangerous files? It didin't remove somethign important to the computer itslef, did it? It is a reputable antivirus program.
5. I can't even get to the log in screen....sob...

Comments

• edited November 2009
    I just want to add that I am having the exact same issue, but with Malwarebytes and the 'System Defender' virus.

Endless reboot cycle at the windows start up screen.
  • edited November 2009
    I think you both should contact MalwareBytes and tell what has happened. And yes, malwarebytes is a legitimate one, but not the best and blue screen of death was obviously caused by this program.
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    AntiVirus Pro and others nasties are now dropping the Backdoor.TDSS into "atapi.sys".

After a partial cleaning, you'll get an endless reboot of Stop 0X0A in normal mode and 0X7E in safe mode...

Pull down a Dr.Web live CD, burn it, boot it, and clean up your machine.
    http://www.freedrweb.com/livecd/

Good Luck!
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    aktive wrote:
    I think you both should contact MalwareBytes and tell what has happened. And yes, malwarebytes is a legitimate one, but not the best and blue screen of death was obviously caused by this program.

Caused by MalwareBytes.... Hardly... :shakehead