If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Dead 8800 GTX scienced to undeath by oven, mad owner

Comments

• UPSLynxUPSLynx The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited Nov 2009
    I see what you guys are doing here.

I'll run some numbers when I get the chance. Probably not until after the weekend.
  • photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member
    edited Nov 2009
    Just learned a friend's husband tried this with a dead Xbox360 after I posted it to facebook, result an undead Xbox360 with a nice toasty smell. I really look forward to doing this with my old laptop.
  • edited Nov 2009
    It works!

Fantastic solution. Best fix ever. Both cards now work and I've tested them with WIC and Left for dead 2 for 8+ hours on each and they are going strong.
  • QCHQCH Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited Nov 2009
    More satisfied customers. Good work Bobby!!! :thumbsup:
  • edited Nov 2009
    Believe it or not, people also restore old audio and video tapes by baking them.

After decades of storage, the stuff that binds the oxide to the mylar base can start to break down, resulting in poor playback quality at best, and sometimes in irreversable damage to the source material. Baking the tape is a way to firm up the binder long enough get a digital transfer. The "recipe" is different for tapes than for PC boards, though :-) Lower temperature, but longer bake time, and you're supposed to flip them periodically, like pancakes...

I've never tried it myself, but http://www.tangible-technology.com/tape/baking1.html describes the process.

Wendy Carlos had to bake the masters for "Switched-On Bach" and her other early albums, when she wanted to release them on CD.
  • edited Dec 2009
    7800 GTX from a Dell xps, worked like a charm! Put it in the oven while heatup, kept it there for five minutes i full heat, then let it stay in the oven with the hatch open to let it slowly cool of.
    WHY didn't I see this a year ago?? The laptop's been laying around as a fancy paper weight for a year...
  • ardichokeardichoke Buttes Master B Lansing, MI Icrontian
    edited Dec 2009
    Preliminary reports suggest that this just saved my 8600GTS as well. Will know for sure after work.

<3 Lynx for bringing this to my attention.
    edited Dec 2009
    we're all bakin' fools. I love it!
  • GargoyleGargoyle Illinois Icrontian
    edited Dec 2009
    When I was in Detroit last weekend, Thrax and I baked GQ's old 7900GT and his old 8800GTS (Prime has photos). I didn't have much time when I got home before I had to catch my flight out for the holidays, but a quick test with the 7900 suggests it's still borked. It's driving me nuts that I didn't get a chance to test the 8800, though. I'm hoping it worked for that one.
  • edited Dec 2009
    Just tried this last night with an old ATI 9000 in a dell Inspiron 8200. Seems to have worked. However need some help on the thermal compound. There's some blue putty foam(?) stuff on the GPU, appears to connect to heat sink on bottom of Keyboard (it is a laptop). Can I re-use this stuff? If I use Arctic Silver will I just be gluing the keyboard to the GPU preventing me from getting my computer apart in the future? Help!
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited Dec 2009
    If you buy regular Arctic silver, no. If you buy Arctic silver adhesive, yes.

Regular AS5 will do just fine :)
  • edited Dec 2009
    edited Dec 2009
    UPSLynx wrote:
    I see what you guys are doing here.

I'll run some numbers when I get the chance. Probably not until after the weekend.

still interested in the unbaked vs baked benchmarks.....:bigggrin:
    edited Dec 2009
    yikes, thanks for the reminder!

I'll put it on the list.
  • edited Dec 2009
    Could it possibly help a 9600GT that seems to not be working very well and randomly loses signal to the monitor. The card may also be one of the ones with bad bumps on it.
    edited Dec 2009
    Hard to say, but if the problem is intermittent, I'm not sure if baking is the solution for you. You're at a higher risk of losing the card if it still works... my card was completely dead, so I had nothing to lose.

But who knows, there's only one way to find out.
    edited Jan 2010
    OK, so I benchmarked my post-baked 8800GTX. I found very minor changes in test numbers. Spec Viewperf in 3DS Max showed a loss of 2 points, which isn't a really big deal. Viewperf Maya on the other hand actually showed a slight increase in performance. Cinebench R10 had the same results...

So uhh.... yep.

Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch Slut Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited Jan 2010
    Summary: No change. These numbers fall within a range that is less than what could be considered the margin of error.
    edited Jan 2010
    photodude wrote:
    Did it restore function at the same specs, or could baking cause a performance hit even though it restored function?
    I would expect it functions normally, but you never know...
    Thrax wrote:
    Summary: No change. These numbers fall within a range that is less than what could be considered the margin of error.
    UPSLynx wrote:
    OK, so I benchmarked my post-baked 8800GTX. I found very minor changes in test numbers. Spec Viewperf in 3DS Max showed a loss of 2 points, which isn't a really big deal. Viewperf Maya on the other hand actually showed a slight increase in performance. Cinebench R10 had the same results...

Good to see that the expected results are as expected, baking restored function at the same specs....within the margin of error
    edited Jan 2010
    I'm thinking that my 8600 may not have come out of the bake quite as well as everyone else's 8800s did. I'm not getting graphic glitches anymore, but gpu folding also doesn't appear to be working. Seems that it always ends up EUE erroring on me now. Haven't tried playing any games since baking my card yet... been too busy with the move.
  • cwcw
    edited Feb 2010
    It works,ive tried it myself..
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited Mar 2010
    Thanks Lynx, great article. I don't think we've crossed paths but you saved my 8800GTX in addition to your own :)
    edited Mar 2010
    Glad to hear it! I saved my cousin's 8800GT last weekend as well. I'm surprised at how broad the problem seems to be (an how successful the solution has been!)
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited Apr 2010
    Hey UPS I had a few friends that I directed to this thread & lets just say they are enjoying their baked cards :) I tried it with a 6600 with no luck :(
    edited Apr 2010
    that's great they recovered their cards! (sucks yours didn't make it though :/ ) I'm really surprised at how effective this has been. I haven't heard of many failed bakes since I did mine. Yours and a card that Prime has are the only two I can think of. Who knew?
  • edited Apr 2010
    I have 2 MSI 8800GTX's OC with the weird lines and stuff. Have been using them as paperweights for about 6 months now. Gonna try baking them this week, will post results :)

Is yours still working ?
    edited Apr 2010
    My 8800GTX is still working, and I use it quite regularly. No issues at all so far!
  • edited Apr 2010
    I baked the 2 8800GTX's this weekend, got to try them today, they're both up and running :)
    I have another one so i'll try and get a 780i mobo so I can use them all hehe
  • edited May 2010
    I have seen this method in a couple of places. Your post says to put the gpu facing up some others say the opposite. Facing the gpu down actually makes sense as the solder is on the bottom. Can anyone verify which way they baked thier cards. I have 3 dead 8800 gtx's I would love to bring back to life.
    edited May 2010
    Facing the GPU down can also cause it to <i>fall off</i> when the solider is weak. The GPU is not light on this video card.
    edited May 2010
    Thrax is right, that is the exact reason why you should face the GPU up.
  • edited May 2010
    Thanks for your responses guys. That makes more sense. Will give it a shot and post back.
  • WingaWinga South Africa Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Maybe my math is out. Maybe time moves slower in the Southern Hemisphere?
    385F = 196C.... Check
    10minutes northern = 10 minutes southern.... Check

I just baked a dead 8800gtx and 8 or so minutes into the bake, had electronic components going off like rockets inside the oven.
    One valueble thing I did learn from it though. If you want to harvest a bunch of components off a PC board, overbaking it is the way to go. They pop off with the pins all clean and shiny.

Im off to scratch in my spares bin to see if I can find another GPU to experiment on.....
    edited May 2010
    Are you sure your oven is 100% accurate when you set the temperature?

Dozens of people have performed this successfully with 385F @ 10 minutes, so it sounds like temperature is to blame.
  • MJOMJO Denmark
    edited May 2010
    Yes it does sound strange?
    I have baked my card twice, without any problems.
    Even the plastic connectors are unharmed by the heat. :)
    edited May 2010
    I actually went out and bought an oven thermometer when I did mine. Good thing too, I Found out my oven at the time ran about 20 degrees hot.
  • WingaWinga South Africa Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I'm sure I messed something up. I found another card I can try it on. An old AGP X800. Will see how that one makes out. Will have to wait until the week-end though.
  • edited May 2010
    Im going to try this today
    edited Jul 2010
    Regression! My 8800GTX is showing the same issues it did when I decided to bake it. Should I bake it again guys? Anyone else had to re-bake?
    edited Jul 2010
    Shouldn't hurt to re-bake it... but each time you reflow the solder it's likely not going to bond as well so the fix will last shorter and shorter periods of time. Or at least my limited knowledge of electrical engineering would suggest that to me. You might want to start saving for a new card.
    edited Jul 2010
    Well, so far so good 1 day after after re-baking. We'll see how long it lasts. Thanks ardichoke.
  • NZYNZY
    edited Aug 2010
    I did this with my dead 8800 gts i did not work
    200ºc 10 min.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! SoCal Icrontian
    edited Aug 2010
    EVGA 8800 GTS has arisen from certain rage!

Thank you UPSLynx for OP and Thank you again along with Thrax for the advice on TIM.

I updated my sig ;)

-Digi
  • NemikanNemikan Icrontian
    edited Aug 2010
    Epix win. You sir get no noob cakes tonight!
  • edited Nov 2010
    I just did this with my own 8800GTX that I thought was dead forever and i'm using it right now, awesome stuff. I went and bought a crappy $40 video card today to temporarily replace it after it died, found this solution, and swapped it back out. At least i've got a spare if it dies again
  • edited Nov 2010
    Oh yeah and also I don't know why you say to leave it overnight after it comes out of the oven, mine was cooled down, put back together and running in 45 minutes.
    edited Nov 2010
    Because it's the safest way to make sure that the solder is completely cooled.
  • edited Nov 2010
    Definately works, thanks!

My Geforce 8800 gtx had died whilst I was on YouTube - the pc would switch on afterwards but I was getting no display.
  • edited Jan 2011
    Bobby, baked two 8800 ultras i used to run in SLI mode tonight. 10 min as instructed golden brown and crisp to the touch. 30 minutes later, reassembled after cooldown. Carefully tested both and got a post. Set them in SLI mode, what a beauty it was to see them purring again. I dont post on websites...unless warranted. CHEERS !
    edited Jan 2011
    :D

Glad we could help!