Help needed to uninstall 2 programs completely

edited November 2009 in Science & Tech
Hi. I need help completely uninstalling 2 programs: Registry Mechanic and Yahoo Messenger. The only traces of these programs remaining seem to be located when I navigate to the following area: Run>msconfig>startup tab. I have already formally uninstalled these 2 programs, but, in the said tab, I see the following entries still listed:

STARTUP ITEM: YahooMessenger
COMMAND: *C:\Program Files\Yah...

STARTUP ITEM: RegMech
COMMAND: *C:\Program Files\Regi...

Can anyone please assist in getting rid of these? Thanks.

Comments

• SpampySpampy Madison, WI
    edited November 2009
    If you want to get rid of startup entries, Trend Micro's Hijack This will allow you to delete them.

When you open the program, choose to do a system scan, generate a logfile as you choose. Scroll down to the startup entries set, and you will see them labelled as "O4 - whatever". Highlight the offending entries, and choose "Fix Checked," and the program will delete them for you.

Hope this helps!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    ncs22,
    Download and install CCleaner.
    Download and install MSConfig Cleanup.

Run MSConfig Cleanup first. Then use CCleaner to cleanup odds and ends that might be left over. CCleaner is one of the best freeware utilities I've come across in 10 years.
    edited November 2009
    Both ways will work, CCleaner is a fantastic tool for registry and hard drive cleanup.
    edited November 2009
    I've never used HijackThis for removing legitimate (albeit, undesired) programs. I recommended the two utilities I did for him as I think they are 'safer,' not as easy to cause registry damage.

You probably already know, but CCleaner also has a very good included program uninstaller/remover.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    HiJackThis simply removes startup entries. His issue is a legacy startup entry stuck in the registry.
    edited November 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    HiJackThis simply removes startup entries. His issue is a legacy startup entry stuck in the registry.

Yeah I guess I was going the more simple route of just making it not load at startup, as opposed to completely deleting it.
  • edited November 2009
    Hi. Thanks for everyone's suggestions...I decided to try the option using MSConfig Cleanup and CCleaner since I wanted to completely delete the 2 programs in question. It worked...the residual entries are no longer listed in MSConfig's startup tab. Thanks again.
    edited November 2009
    CCleaner also works just as well in Vista as XP. It's a keeper - one of the best freeware utilities. I would imagine it also works in Windows 7, but haven't tried it yet. (hope to be upgrading to Win7 with a couple of my computers this coming weekend)