An open letter to George R. R. Martin, author of the Song of Ice and Fire books

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    I still haven't finished The Dark Tower, on book 4 of 7 and Stephen King just announced there will be an 8th book, The Wind Through the Keyhole

hopefully I'll get through them all before I die, since I started on book one 22 years ago...

The Dark Tower
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    I got a copy of "A Game of Thrones" for Christmas. IT BEGINS.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    ardichoke wrote:
    I got a copy of "A Game of Thrones" for Christmas. IT BEGINS.

The game is afoot.

Just started Dance of Storms today. Whoooo!
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited December 2009
    Hey, I just finished book 4, a feast for crows. Loving it so far.

I didn't read all the replies but HBO is making a series out of it.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited December 2009
    Preacher wrote:
    I just got back into the Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever Series, finished the first trilogy, started the second trilogy, only to realize AGAIN there is a "last" trilogy with two unfinished books...FRICK.

For those interested, it's epic fantasy with magic, warrior monks, giants, amazing creatures, and a leper protagonist anti-hero...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Covenant

I friggen' love those books,they're so different from everything else out there, highly recommended. I've only read the first of the new series, I think I need to read it again before starting the second.
  • edited January 2010
    Nice Art! I haven't read any George R.R. Martin but I might now since everyone is so impassioned.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited January 2010
    To me the writeing style isn't great. But damn is the story good. I won't say who was killed in beginning of the series, but ever since then I've wanted revenge for that dude. And I won't be satisfied till he gets it.
    edited January 2010
    He damn well deserves it too. He was straight OG.
  • edited January 2010
    Heck yes! We need this book STAT!
  • edited March 2010
    FOR THE LOVE OF FUCKING-FUCK-FUCK-FUUUUUCK!!!!! Finish the book already!!!! It's been FIVE FUCKING YEARS since "Feast" and you said it was almost done then! Or at least admit to everyone that you've painted yourself into a literary corner!
  • edited August 2010
    It's now roughly 5 years since 'A Feast for Crows' was released and it will probably be at least another 2 more years till 'A Dance with Dragons' will appear, or maybe another fucking 5!!!

Georgey boy hasn't got a cat-in-Hell's chance of finishing the series.

When he's not flying around the World to be at Conventions he's busy watching and commenting on the NFL. That leaves him just a few months out of the year to do any real work, which clearly isn't enough.

George, your books are fabulous! One of the best series I have ever read, but please,PLEASEEEE........FINISH THE SODDING SERIES!!! (well, at least the next book). :P
  • edited September 2010
    Why do authors write books ?
    Why have story tellers told stores for millenia ?

Do they do it for themselves ? Or do they do it for the reader or listener ?

It's for the reader/listeneer.
    In the modern day, it's the reader who buys the books, which in turn provide a 'living' and income for the author.

Therefore, we are justified in crying out for the book completion to be RR's priority.

Get the books done and then go off galavanting and enjoy your financial and critical awards.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Winter is coming

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/psbBi7dLnT4?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/psbBi7dLnT4?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
    edited December 2010
    PS: I HATE that I am this excited for it.

After being utterly disappointed at the book-to-screen adaptation of Sword of Truth, and furiously angry at the Last Airbender debacle, my "excitement threat level" is at red right now... but still.

I want to believe.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I didn't know that Lena Headey was playing Cersei. I don't know how I feel about that.

I wonder if I should re-read the books before this comes out or if it's better not to have the rage over the things they will get wrong...

Winter is coming.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I'm re-reading. My rage will be unbelievable if they fail.
    edited December 2010
    Also, I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to watch this legally. There is no way I'm getting cable and subscribing to HBO - I hope it's on Amazon Video on Demand (which it won't be, but a girl can hope.)
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Annes wrote:
    I'm re-reading. My rage will be unbelievable if they fail.

Hell hath no fury like an Annes scorned. Take heed, David Benioff and Dan Weiss, for judgment awaits.
    edited December 2010
    Boromir is Eddard Stark zomg.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    This is going to be excellent.

I hope.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    HBO does have a solid track record of shows. We shall see though...the beauty of those books is their complexity and richness.

Bastard just needs to write FASTER!
    edited December 2010
    This story has some of the most complex characters in fantasy. The characters had better be the primary focus of the show, and the actors had better be able to pull it off; otherwise, this will probably fail.
  • edited December 2010
    I kinda like this avatar that it gave me as default..
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I kinda like banning you.
    edited December 2010
    Dang. I was really hoping for some fresh rage in this thread.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Not in my house, Annes.
  • ardichokeardichoke
    drops off a hot steaming batch of fresh RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE
    Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    drops off a hot steaming batch of fresh RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE
  • edited December 2010
    George should just get Brandon Sanderson to finish his freakin' series.
  • edited February 2011
    Hey, I know what we should do. Let's finish the damn thing for him! He's done writing.
    Ready.... go!
    edited February 2011
    Daring to hope!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UWIyCUHrESk?hd=1&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>