An open letter to George R. R. Martin, author of the Song of Ice and Fire books

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    The part at 1:27 where the Iron Throne flashes with all the characters... OMG
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited March 2011
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    OMG.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    So hell has finally frozen over.... ;)
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    I guess that means I can finally start reading the series.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    July 12th fucking A there is a god!
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    A more reliable source.

Confirmed. Damn. Happy day.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    I guess that means I can finally start reading the series.

I'm waiting until they are ALL done to pick the series back up.
    edited March 2011
    Preacher wrote:
    I'm waiting until they are ALL done to pick the series back up.

Yeah not a bad idea. It's not like Dance is the end of the series.

My money is on the series never concluding
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited March 2011

DING DING DING.
    edited March 2011

Then it shall never become great; all the best stories have an ending.
    edited March 2011
    I think this video says it all.

"George R.R. Martin: Fantasy blueballer"

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5G6QyXl6d2M&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Watch the first 12 minutes of Game of Thrones.
    edited April 2011
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Watch the first 12 minutes of Game of Thrones.

That was amazingly true to the book, even if they did condense some things; an understandable happening. I can hardly wait for this to come out, this preview has given me faith that the series will be true to the source material. Of course, very little except maybe the Wall, matched how I had mapped things out in my head while reading the series.

Might explore the "Cartman Method" to passing the time until the show starts to air.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited April 2011
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    WG4Pa.jpg
    edited April 2011
    As morbid and disappointing as it sounds, I'm still waiting for the author's death or the sale of the final book to read any more.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    I hear you Preacher. I'm one of the people reading Wheel of Time and I can definitely say Brandon Sanderson is one of the best things to happen to that series. He brings a gritty, down-to-earth tone to the books that's been lacking since earlier in the series. I've read Game of Thrones and honestly it didn't get terribly interesting until page 200.

To the guest that didn't like the first book of Wheel of Time; just skip it. I started reading from Book 2 since I had no access to the first book and I feel like they're much better-written from that point on. I went back and read the first after reading 2-5 to round out the plot and they're nothing alike. The even-numbered books after that are kinda meh to me except for Sanderson's tales. I recently read Elantris and agree heartily that his writing is solid.

P.S. Sanderson's Alcatraz series is hilariously awesome.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Game of Thrones aired today.
    edited April 2011
    Good start to the series. Can't wait for more :)
    edited April 2011
    How was it?
    edited April 2011
    Pretty good. They pretty much got through the first hundred or so pages of the book in the first episode. They got through Dany's marriage to Drogo, Eddard being named the Hand, and the episode ended with poor Bran being pushed out the tower by Jaime.

The sets are all cool and well done, comparable with a series like Rome, and I like the character portrayals so far. I think the most difficult thing is how well the series keeps all characters in the viewer's attention. It was easier to see where rivalries and relationships will form since I've read the books, and I'm not 100% sure that it's as clear to someone new to the story. But I think it'll translate decently enough.
    edited April 2011
    The first episode was very good and peaked the interest of the other two Fantasy aficionados in our household. We're going to keep watching. However, Winfrey's point is very germane. A person who has not read the books would have difficulty fully understanding what was going on.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited April 2011
    I haven't read the books, I enjoyed the show but did feel a little disconnected to the various characters. But I'm definitely looking forward to the next episode and the rest of the series.

Even in saying that I felt disconnected I still felt a lot more connected to this show then I do to the current travesty that is Camelot and I know that story - what a waste of air time.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Preacher wrote:
    A person who has not read the books would have difficulty fully understanding what was going on.
    I think the key point here would be that a person who has not read the books would not understand what the author intended. The show was fairly straightforward, but (having not read the books, only threads on reddit comparing them) it didn't portray a few scenes very well (i.e. the marriage night looked a lot more unwilling/rape than no turned tender yes or w/e the book tries to talk about). There are probably good reasons for it that will play out as the series goes on. I, for one, am mad that DISH decided to give me a weekend of HBO for free then yank it away again, just to get me hooked on this show ... time to find a TV torrent site to get invited to.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    GOT was confirmed for a second season.
    edited April 2011
    Apparently A Dance with Dragons is complete.

EDIT: Also, the HBO series is fucking rad. Watch it.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Koreish wrote:
    Annes wrote:
    Apparently A Dance with Dragons is complete.

EDIT: Also, the HBO series is fucking rad. Watch it.

I'm not saying I pointed it out first but...
    edited April 2011
    Koreish wrote:
    I'm not saying I pointed it out first but...

It's been for sale on Amazon for like three years. It's also had at least one publish date prior to this that they just blew past. A new publish date is great and all but doesn't mean that the book is done. The post made by GRRM earlier this week, however, does.

I'm just hoping that the writing and story didn't suffer because he was apparently actually writing under deadline this time. Funny what bringing millions of new fans to your series with a TV show will do to an author.