Webcam, need one, don't know squat about them

LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciersEagle River, Alaska Icrontian
edited December 2009 in Hardware
The wife unit wants a webcam. I don't know much about them except that there about 13,256 different brands/models.

Help me out here. What should I be looking for? Will I need a VOIP service? What other questions should I be asking?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    I'm very fond of the Microsoft Lifecam HD. :) Its video quality is the best on the market, and it's not outrageously priced.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Ugh. I hate to say it, but Thrax is right. Again.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Define "will I need a VOIP service." What will she be doing with the webcam? Google Chat, as an example, offers free video chat via the gmail (and possibly the GChat standalone) interface, which works on IE, Firefox, and basically anywhere except Linux.

If you'd rather go other routes, you can get a Skype account; computer-to-computer "calls" are free, and they support video as well.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Leo,
    After many days of researching webcams I came down to the Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
    Read reviews of buyers and comparison reviews by tech sites until my eyes hurt. lol
    Here's a comparison to both the Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 and the Lifecam Cinema.
    You'll have to make a choice on what you'll be doing with the webcam.
    There is a little difference between the two.
    Wife & I are very happy with the 9000.
    It has Logitech Vid software that comes with it for talking on the web..
    We also have Skype to webchat with other friends that use Skype.
    Both the Logitech Vid software and the Skype software let you customize your setup depending on light,sound, etc.
    Skype also has a pay for calling landlines program too.
    Otherwise it's free as long as you don't make calls to landlines.
    The 9000 also can record in 2.0MP with resolutions up to 1600x1200 at an average frame rate of 30fps to make and send short videos to friends and family.
    We also like the bundled HP Photosmart Essential software that came with it, to capture, edit, customize, and print images.
    Anyway, Thought this might help give you a little more info on the subject.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    I have the Logitech Quickcam pro 9000 and the quality is perfect. The lifecam is also nice.

Either one of the two will suit you fine.

All you need is google chat (free) or skype (free).
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Thanks, guys. I think I'll cut the research at this point and just go with one of the models you recommended.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Oh, wait, more questions. We're on a mid-range performance DSL line. Would a 1280X1024 video resolution bog down over our connection?

Update: Ok, I read on the review that was linked that most, if not all ISPs won't allow above a 640X480 anyway. The Logitch model has a Zeiss lens. That's remarkable, considering it's a low-cost store shelf item.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    No, because Skype and Google Talk usually only transmit in < 640x480, and it'll compress the picture quality if the upload speed cannot support what's being sent.