Options

HELP! Malware killed my audio!

Hi there,
Today, after clicking the first link of a google search, I was brought to a random page. I immediately backed out and my computer started running slowly. I figured that page tried infecting my computer so I minimized all windows. I was right. My background screen had been changed to green with a black box in the middle saying "YOUR COMPUTER IS INFECTED!"

I downloaded a bunch of programs such as TFC, rootrepeal, ERUNT, and malwarebytes.

Malwarebytes seems to have killed it off for now, but I know these things have a nasty habit of reoccuring.

Besides my fear of this thing popping back up again... the malware seems to have disabled my sound.

Anyone have any advice for me:confused:

Thank you,
Mark

Comments

• edited December 2009
    Hi Mark. :)

A few things before we start....
    1. Please Read All Instructions Carefully.
    2. If you don't understand something, stop and ask! Don't keep going on.
    3. Please do not run any other tools or scans whilst I am helping you.
    4. If you have to go away for an extended period of time, let me know.
    5. Please continue to respond until I give you the "All Clear".
    (Just because you can't see a problem doesn't mean it isn't there)

Let's have you download ComboFix.exe. Please visit this webpage for downloading and instructions for running the tool:

Go here ======> A guide and tutorial on using ComboFix <====== Go here

Please ensure you read this guide carefully and install the Recovery Console first.This applies to XP Pro and XP Home users only.If you have SP3 installed you will need to use the download meant for SP2.

The Windows Recovery Console will allow you to boot up into a special recovery (repair) mode. This allows us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware. It is a simple procedure that will only take a few moments of your time.

Once installed, you should get a prompt that says:

The Recovery Console was successfully installed.

Please continue as follows:

(1) Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.
    (2) Click Yes to allow ComboFix to continue scanning for malware.

When the tool is finished, it will produce a report for you.

Please include C:\ComboFix.txt for further review, so that we may continue cleansing the system.

Caution: Never run and remove files with Combofix unless supervised by a qualified security analyst who is experienced in the use of Combofix. Misuse can cause serious computer problems.