PCI: Why won't it die?

lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
edited December 2009 in Science & Tech

Comments

• edited December 2009
    Wow didnt realize that was that old and how slow those things are, thanks for the informative article, definitely would support them getting rid of those on high end and all motherboards eventually.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    I don't think it's an arbitrary reluctance by manufacturers to dump the PCI capability. It is more likely the millions upon millions of consumers have PCI-interface cards, who don't want to purchase new cards. The motherboard manufacturers will implement whatever available technology that they think will be profitable.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    I don't think that's true, Leo. Do you remember when ABIT released the MAX3 motherboards? No legacy connectors of any kind: No serial, no parallel, no PS/2. This very community was thrilled by the development because we were happy to see quaint, old, dumb standards go. PCI is no different.

If high-end mobo vendors start offering high-end motherboards that preclude PCI, they will be bought by customers who understand what they're getting into. There are already WiFi adapters which fit x1 slots, and that fulfills damn near everyone's AIB needs.

It really is time to kill PCI on the high end and start the trickle down.
  • photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member
    edited December 2009
    maybe just maybe we'll see PCI slots make their slow death a little faster once PCIe 3.0 is released.

But consider the number of PCIe products, now compare that to the number of PCI products. New currently being released.

2 years ago few OEM mobos had PCIe for anything but graphics, only in the last year has OEM mobos been released with no PCI (my father bought a HP that was stocked with PCIe x1 slots and one PCIe x16 slot) I'm guessing replacement mobos and enthusiast mobos keep a pci slot around in case you have any legacy hardware. but the OEM boards are going a different direction.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    I haven't used an actual PCI device in probably 4 or even 5 years.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Bring back ISA slots! :bigggrin:
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Aaaaaah winfrey beat me to ISA reference.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    My Xfi Sound card is PCI, but I am all for dumping the old connections on a mobo. I mean seriously how many people still use floppys & ps2 port?
  • edited December 2009
    Some of us still use Texas Instrument interface cards that are upwards 1k for a new one, and they aren't even available in PCI-E yet.. slacking motherboard vendors or not, I'm thankful :)
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    I just purchased a pair of PCI wireless network cards for desktops, not so much because I wanted to, but that was what was reasonably available for that application.
    edited December 2009
    I just purchased a pair of PCI wireless network cards for desktops, not so much because I wanted to, but that was what was reasonably available for that application.

D-Link makes a range of excellent PCIe wireless adapters that are no more pricey than their normal sort.
    edited December 2009
    I mean seriously how many people still use floppys & ps2 port?
    I still use floppy drives for flashing mobo BIOSes because I can't get flashing from a USB device to work. I only connect the floppy drive if I need to flash, which is rarely. I also use PS/2 motherboards and mice, simply because the couple I still have work well and don't need replacing yet. I have no PCI devices left. The last were PCI wireless cards, which I sold when I got fed up with wireless and wired the house for Ethernet.

If you look at retail stores - at least in my area, probably half the the network cards on the shelves are still PCI. We need to remember that the ordinary computer user does not upgrade to new standards as fast as the typical Icrontic reader.
    edited December 2009
    Nobody is proposing we wipe PCI off the map in a single generation. Just like nobody proposed it for AGP, or any other legacy port. But what DID happen is those ports started going away on high-end parts to get the market used to the concept, and then it was slowly phased down into the budget parts over several years.

We're almost 5 years out on PCIe, and that has not occurred and shows no signs of occurring. That is what needs to happen. Someone has to pull the trigger.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Right, but basically every motherboard made in the past 5 years has really high quality on-board audio and network.

And, if the onboard fails or is not usable for some reason, there are dozens of PCI Express audio cards and network cards.

Besides, are people buying NEW motherboards made in the next two years REALLY going to need PCI slots? Why?
    edited December 2009
    Right, but basically every motherboard made in the past 5 years has really high quality on-board audio and network.
    I think that's the key. Due to yesterday's add-ons being merely integrated chips on modern motherboards, there's less demand for expansion parts. For the majority of consumers, they get what they need straight out of the Dell, Acer, or HP box. If they need something more, it's usually got a USB cable on it. I think we'll see USB 3 make a much quicker mainstream presence than PCI-e.
    edited December 2009
    Hey, I would prefer to see PCI wiped off the map tomorrow. ;) Onboard audio and LAN works very well, and the market's raging fascination with omg 14.12 audio channels has subsided. People no longer care about creative or their shitacular drivers, and nobody can fill the void because Creative has EAX on lockdown.

For WiFi, there are tons of PCIe WiFi adapters. For RAID, you'd be insane or stupid not to have at LEAST a PCIe 8x adapter sitting in your box, or you're using onboard software RAID.

Basically, the only argument in favor of keeping PCI is: "But my bargain basement wireless card still works okay. :("
    edited December 2009
    Basically, the only argument in favor of keeping PCI is: "But my bargain basement wireless card still works okay.
    LOL, and for most of them giving that explanation, it does work well...enough. But yeah, I also wouldn't mind seeing PCI gone for good. (with dual 9800GX2s, there's no room for PCI cards anyway :hair:) Give me more PCI-e video slots and...oh, but then...I'd need another round of PSU upgrades. Never mind.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    I know the Audio with my DFI lan party seems to be better than that of Creative. Maybe I need the uber pricey Creative card?

I was happy to see AGP go away :)
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2009
    PCI express isn't any more expensive to build cards for than PCI. In fact, when the process is mature, I'd have to guess it'd be cheaper because you can build cards that are physically smaller for PCI express.

No reason why we can't have bargain basement PCI express wireless cards.
    edited December 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    D-Link makes a range of excellent PCIe wireless adapters that are no more pricey than their normal sort.

On all of newegg there is one that is priced $55. I purchased adapters that will suit my needs perfectly fine for about $15.

Standard PCI wireless desktop cards outnumber PCI Express about 1000 to 1 right now. I'm not particularly pleased that is the case, but it is what it is.
    edited December 2009
    Cliff, that's exactly the point I'm trying to make. Consumers aren't buying PCI express because of low product selection, manufacturers aren't making PCI express products because PCI is more mature and "burned in", and motherboard manufacturers haven't forced them to think any differently because they haven't dropped PCI from their boards. All of this would change if, starting tomorrow, every new motherboard was to include PCI express slots only. Product selection in PCI express would increase dramatically, production would ramp up to match demand, and prices would soon drop as the PCI express manufacturing process became standard.
    edited December 2009
    ^ Which is exactly what happened to USB printers, keyboards, mice and PCIe graphics cards when mfgrs stopped offering legacy connectors.
  • photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member
    edited December 2009
    ^^which is the point I echoed, Volume of product selection is king to consumers. as well as lowest price point (which also comes from volume and competition)

I also think we can thank the recession for a lot of people avoiding replacing computers, they have been upgrading or replacing parts to keep their current systems running. My father in-law one of those who is still using a P4 2.4Ghz system with part after part being replaced (except the CPU and Mobo) He's one of the masses that help drive the PCI world as he replaces parts to maintain a functional computer (we hope he'll finally commit to replacing his system, but he's holding out for total death)
    edited December 2009
    Volume of product selection is king to consumers
    And total volume shipped is one of the major deciding factors a manufacturer considers. Why put a big emphasis on PCI-e interface, when apart from aftermarket video cards, there is not the volume of add-on card sales that there was just a few years ago? It used to be that just about anything quality needed to be at the expansion port. As we discussed earlier, those features are now on board and the quality is acceptable for most users. I don't need an Ethernet card anymore, or wireless, or sound, or multi-USB (card). Heck, just five years ago I remember the standard advice we gave to home builders was to turn off the integrated sound and order a sound card.
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited December 2009
    Well I did buy a discrete sound card when I got my last motherboard.
    The ASUS Crosshair II Formula, the supplied onboard sound was ridiculously poor and I went and got myself a discrete card.
    The Asus Xonar D2, which has it's own set of interesting driver issues though. :)
  • edited December 2009
    Although parallel and serial topologies of PCI and PCI-E are entirely different, chipset manufacturers are still integrating PCI bus along with PCI-E at the additional cost. Apparently they see the benefit. PCI will only die after Intel and AMD stop offering the PCI bus on their chipsets. It does not matter if the motherboard manufacturer omit the port or not, we will not have the port but PCI will be inside the chipset running all the time.
    edited December 2009
    mirage wrote:
    Although parallel and serial topologies of PCI and PCI-E are entirely different, chipset manufacturers are still integrating PCI bus along with PCI-E at the additional cost. Apparently they see the benefit. PCI will only die after Intel and AMD stop offering the PCI bus on their chipsets. It does not matter if the motherboard manufacturer omit the port or not, we will not have the port but PCI will be inside the chipset running all the time.

It doesn't matter whether it's in the chipset or not. If no physical ports are available, no PCI devices can be put in the computer, hence forcing PCI express devices to be used.
  • edited December 2009
    So you think it does not matter if the chipset does not support PCI? They can still add a fake PCI port for decoration, I guess :) Or, add an additional PCI controller chip next to IDE controller for free.
    edited December 2009
    mirage wrote:
    So you think it does not matter if the chipset does not support PCI? They can still add a fake PCI port for decoration, I guess :) Or, add an additional PCI controller chip next to IDE controller for free.

I'll grant you, if Intel and AMD drop PCI right out of their chipsets, that'd be the fastest way to get people to switch over. What I'm saying is, from the standpoint of getting add-in card manufacturers to switch, it doesn't matter if the chipset still supports PCI - it won't help if there are no PCI slots on the motherboard.
    edited December 2009
    lordbean wrote:
    I'll grant you, if Intel and AMD drop PCI right out of their chipsets, that'd be the fastest way to get people to switch over. What I'm saying is, from the standpoint of getting add-in card manufacturers to switch, it doesn't matter if the chipset still supports PCI - it won't help if there are no PCI slots on the motherboard.

Remember the initial outcry when Microsoft stopped supporting DOS?

Recently there has been some to-do over AMD dropping support for legacy graphics products, basically anything prior to DX9.

What everyone is saying here is right, its up to the industry to drive innovation, not the consumer.