Steam Deals

lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
edited February 2015 in Gaming
So, here's the idea - I plan to post in this thread whenever Steam runs a short sale (including weekend deals & midweek madness), because I check it pretty frequently (other people can feel free to help too, if they want).

Weekend deal Dec 11-13
  • Counter-Strike: Source 75% off
  • Dreamkiller: Free to play, 25% off

My opinion: don't waste your time with Dreamkiller. Game is bland and repetetive as hell.

View most recent deals

Comments

• lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2009
    Kalypso titles are running 25-50% off until Friday, Dec 18.

My opinion: don't see much of interest in that group. The Broken Sword series is decent, I enjoyed Sleeping Dragon quite a bit. Older games though.
    edited December 2009
    Midweek Madness - Dec 15 - 17

The Last Remnant is on sale for 75% off.

My opinion: SQUEENIX RPG. Even though the metascore's not extremely high, I'm going to pick it up.
    edited December 2009
    Team Fortress 2 will be free to play from Dec 17-21. No word on a discount, but you never know - they may run a sale during the event.
    edited December 2009
    Weekend Deal - Dec 18-20
    • Team Fortress 2 is on sale for 50% off to compliment its free weekend.
    • Torchlight is on sale for 50% off to celebrate an update for the game that was just released.

My opinion: Can't really lose here. If you don't own TF2, give it a whirl while it's free, and buy it for half price if you like it. Torchlight has been enjoyed by many members of the Icrontic community - I'm grabbing it.
    edited December 2009
    Weekend Deal - Dec 18-20

Torchlight has been put on sale for 50% off following an update that was just released for the game. The above list has also been edited.

My opinion: grabbing it. A lot of the Icrontic community has played it and enjoyed it.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    torchlight is my game of the year
    edited December 2009
    Holiday Deals - Dec 22 to Jan 3

These sales are persistent for the duration of Steam's holiday event.
    • 2K Games titles 33% off
    • Codemasters Complete Pack 25% off
    • Rockstar Collection 33% off
    • All Ubisoft Titles 50% off
    • Eidos Collectors Pack 50% off
    • All THQ games 25 to 50% off
    • All Atari games 66% off, including the Unreal Deal pack
    • Many indie titles running up to 80% off
    • 1C Company games 50% off
    • Paradox games 50% off
    • Aspyr complete pack 50% off
    • Strategy First games 50 to 80% off
    • Rebellion games 80% off

This sale is huge, and Steam will also have different specific titles on special sale each day of the event.
    edited December 2009
    Daily Holiday Deals - Dec 22
    • Grand Theft Auto IV - 75% off
    • STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl - 90% off
    • Defense Grid: The Awakening - 75% off
    • Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising - 50% off
    • Mirror's Edge - 75% off

my opinion: great time to grab GTA 4, STALKER, and Mirror's Edge if you don't already have em. Solid prices for solid games.
    edited December 2009
    Daily Holiday Deals - Dec 24
    • Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter - 50% off
    • Left 4 Dead 2 - 33% off
    • Football Manager 2010 - 25% off
    • id Super Pack - 66% off
    • Need for Speed Shift - 25% off

My opinion: good time to grab the id pack. You get id's classic set of DOS games, plus Doom 3 and its expansion pack, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Quake 3, and a couple others for 24 bucks. Also a good time to grab Left 4 Dead 2 at a reduced price if you didn't get it in a pre-order or a 4-pack.
    edited December 2009
    Daily Holiday Deals - Dec 25
    • Battlefield 2: Complete Collection - 75% off
    • King's Bounty: Armored Princess - 75% off
    • Cogs - 80% off
    • Resident Evil 5 - 50% off
    • Elf Bowling: Hawaiian Vacation - 90% off
    • Red Faction Guerrilla - 75% off

My opinion: Some good prices on the indie titles - can't go wrong for a buck or two per game. Great time to grab Battlefield 2, and that King's Bounty game might also be worth a look.
    edited December 2009
    Daily Holiday Deals - Dec 26
    • Dragon Age: Origins - 25% off
    • Dragon Age: Origins Deluxe Edition - 25% off
    • LUMINES Base+Advance Pack - 80% off
    • Universe at War: Earth Assault - 75% off
    • Star Wars Premier Pack - 50% off
    • Torchlight - 75% off
    • Prototype - 50% off

My opinion: grab Torchlight if you like Diablo-style RPGs in the least. For 5 bucks, it will give you a lot of entertainment value. Also a great time to pick up Dragon Age: Origins and Universe at War.
    edited December 2009
    Daily Holiday Deals - Dec 27
    • Dead Space - 66% off
    • Day of Defeat: Source - 75% off
    • Hearts of Iron III - 75% off
    • Complete PopCap Collection - 50% off
    • Zombie Driver - 75% off

My opinion: Don't waste your time or money on Dead Space. It's a console port, and the control scheme port is the most horrible piece of shit I've ever seen in a console->PC port. The other stuff is worth considering - the savings are solid.
    edited December 2009
    Daily Holiday Deals - Dec 28
    • The Orange Box - 50% off
    • Space Siege - 75% off
    • Killing Floor - 75% off
    • Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box - 75% off
    • [strike]Prey[/strike] - Sold out.
    • Bioshock - 75% off

My opinion: some very interesting sales here. I'm definitely going to be grabbing some of these. Also a great time to nab the orange box if you or a friend doesn't already have it.
    edited December 2009
    **UPDATE** - Dec 28 Holiday Deals

Prey is now listed as "Sold Out". Bioshock is now listed in Prey's place at 75% off - this is a great buy, folks. Bioshock is a fantastic game. Don't ask whether it's worth it for 5 bucks - just buy it.
    edited December 2009
    Daily Holiday Deals - Dec 29
    • Mr. Robot - 80% off ($1.99, Genre: Strategy, Action, Indie, Metascore: 83/100)
    • Jade Empire: Special Edition - 75% off ($3.75, Genre: RPG, Metascore: 81/100)
    • King Arthur: The Roleplaying Wargame - 50% off ($19.99, Genre: RPG, Strategy, Metascore: 79/100)
    • Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor - 75% off ($7.49, Genre: Strategy, Metascore: 70/100)
    • Silent Hill Homecoming - 75% off ($9.99, Genre: Adventure, Metascore: 64/100)
    • Stormrise - 75% off ($7.49, Genre: Strategy, Metascore: 42/100)

My opinion: I didn't even know a few of these titles existed, but for the amount they've been reduced, some of them could be worth checking out. Based on the metascore, I wouldn't buy Stormrise - it only has a 42. Silent Hill Homecoming has a 60, and Company of Heroes has a 70 - I'd only purchase those if you know they're in a style / game line you enjoy. Mr. Robot, Jade Empire, and King Arthur all have surprisingly good scores - I may well be buying them.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Jade Empire for $3.75? :eek2:
  • ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    How does a game sell out on Steam?
    edited December 2009
    They run out of CD keys.
  • edited December 2009
    I came across this post while Googling around trying to get a SATA card to work in OpenSolaris - signed up to Steam and have since scooped:

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
    Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
    Red Faction Guerrilla
    Battlefield 2
    Section 8
    FarCry 2
    Trine
    X3: Gold
    Day of Defeat: Source
    Dead Space
    Bioshock (NA)
    Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box
    Killing Floor

SATA card still isn't working but my new 5850 is working great - so thanks for the tips - I think
    edited December 2009
    Heh, glad to be of help, even if it wasn't exactly what you were trying to find at the time.
  • floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited December 2009
    Some bargains to be had here for sure.

I've recently bought Mass Effect 1; Braid; Revamped Secret Of Monkey Island; HAWX - all really cheap.

And I'm thoroughly enjoying Monkey Island, nothing like a little bit of Old School sometimes. Always wanted to play this game, borrowed it from a friend around '96 but couldn't get sound to work at the time on my 386 or 486, can't quite remember what I had at the time but it was old and expensive.
    edited December 2009
    Daily Holiday Deals - Dec 30

Edited 1:07PM - They appear to be unsure of what titles they're running. Steam's list has been updated as I look at it. Changes: Civilization IV Colonization and Beyond the Sword have been dropped, and COD: WaW has been added.
    • Left 4 Dead - 75% off ($7.49, Genre: Action, Metascore: 89/100)
    • Sid Meier's Civilization IV - 66% off ($6.79, Genre: Strategy, Metascore: 94/100)
    • Call of Duty: World at War - 50% off ($24.99, Genre: Action, Metascore: 83/100)
    • Max Payne 2 - 75% off ($2.49, Genre: Action, Metascore: 86/100)
    • FIFA Manager 10 - 33% off ($33.49, Genre: Sports, Metascore: 75/100)
    • Osmos - 80% off ($1.99, Genre: Casual, Indie, Family Gaming, Metascore: 81/100)
    • Max Payne - 75% off ($2.49, Genre: Action, Metascore: 89/100)

Please note that Max Payne and Max Payne 2 can also be purchased in a bundle for a total price of $3.74, which saves you an additional $1.24 on the sale prices.

My opinion: The Max Payne series is a classic - excellent time to pick it up. The price on Civilization IV is also excellent if you're into strategy games, although it's disappointing they didn't put the expansions on sale as well. For Call of Duty fans, now is an excellent time to grab World at War, if you don't have it.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited December 2009
    The Civ IV expansions are also on sail right now, Warlords is $3.39 (instead of $9.99), Beyond the Sword is $6.79 (instead of $19.99, same discount as Civ IV) and Colonization is $10.19 (instead of $19.99).

However, the bundle of all four is $13.60 (usually $39.99)

I'm not sure why Steam decided to only show the Civ IV single edition, maybe it's just discounted for today while everything else is cheap for the whole sale? Not sure.
    edited December 2009
    Daily Holiday Deals - Dec 31
    • Shattered Horizon - 75% off ($4.99, Genre: Action, Metascore: 73/100)
    • Street Fighter IV - 75% off ($9.99, Genre: Action, Metascore: 91/100)
    • Medieval II: Total War - 75% off ($4.99, Genre: Strategy, Metascore: 88/100)
    • Multiwinia + Darwinia Pack - 80% off ($2.99, Genre: Strategy, Indie, Metascore: 76 | 84)
    • Crysis Maximum Edition<sup>1</sup> - 66% off ($13.59, Genre: Action, Metascore: Crysis 91 | Warhead 84)
    • Half Life: Source<sup>2</sup> - 75% off ($2.49, Genre: Action, Metascore: None)

Notes: 1 - This is a bundle of Crysis and Crysis Warhead. 2 - This is a port of the classic Half-Life to the source engine.

My opinion: Good time to grab Crysis, if even just to see if your PC can run it and use it for benchmarks. Shattered Horizon and Street Fighter IV are good grabs at their respective prices as well.
    edited January 2010
    Daily Holiday Deals - Jan 1
    • Mass Effect - 75% off ($4.99, Genre: RPG, Action, Metascore: 89/100)
    • Doom Complete Pack<sup>1</sup> - 66% off ($13.59, Genre: Action, Metascore: Varies 78 to 87)
    • Sam&Max Complete<sup>2</sup> - 75% off ($14.99, Genre: Adventure, Action, Metascore: Varies 74-85)
    • Devil May Cry 4 - 25% off ($22.49, Genre: Action, Metascore: 78/100)
    • Trials 2: Second Edition - 75% off ($2.49, Genre: Sports, Racing, Indie, Metascore: 82/100)
    • Portal - 75% off ($4.99, Genre: Action, Metascore: 90/100)

Notes - 1. This pack includes Doom 3, Doom 3 ROE, Doom II, Final Doom, Master Levels for Doom II, and The Ultimate Doom. 2. Includes both full seasons of the Sam & Max series worth $109.89 if purchased as individual games.

My opinion: Mass effect is a solid RPG for the price. If you've never played Doom for some reason, this is a great time to grab it - Doom 3 wasn't the best game ever, but it's worth at least one play through. If you're into the point and click puzzle solver genre at all, this is a great deal on the Sam & Max series. I've played every episode to conclusion, and thoroughly enjoyed all of them.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited January 2010
    Mass Effect is a fantastic game and I huge steal at that price. Hopefully everyone just bought The Orange Box instead of Portal.
    edited January 2010
    Daily Holiday Deals - Jan 2
    • Trine - 75% off ($4.99, Genre: Action, Indie, Metascore: 80/100)
    • The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind Game of the Year ed. - 75% off ($4.99, Genre: RPG, Metascore: 89/100)
    • Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 - 66% off ($10.19, Genre: Strategy, Metascore: 82/100)
    • Painkiller Collector's Pack<sup>1</sup> - 75% off ($8.74, Genre: Action, Metascore: 38 to 81)
    • Counter-Strike Source - 75% off ($4.99, Genre: Action, Metascore: 88/100)

Notes: 1. Pack includes Painkiller, Painkiller: Overdose, and Painkiller: Resurrection.

My opinion: Painkiller is one of the most overlooked FPS' in recent history - at $8.74, definitely worth picking up. Morrowind, if a slightly older game, is still a fantastic RPG and a good buy at 5 bucks.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I cannot even begin to tell you how much you have to get the painkiller collection for $9

As bean said, Painkiller is a hugely overlooked FPS. It's a fantastic game.
    edited January 2010
    Daily Holiday Deals - Jan 3
    • Defense Grid: The Awakening - 75% off ($2.49, Genre: Strategy, Indie, Metascore: 81/100)
    • Torchlight - 75% off ($4.99, Genre: RPG, Metascore: 84/100)
    • STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl - 90% off ($2.00, Genre: RPG, Action, Metascore: 82/100)
    • Left 4 Dead 2 - 33% off ($33.49, Genre: Action, Metascore: 89/100)
    • Killing Floor - 75% off ($4.99, Genre: Action, Metascore: 71/100)
    • Bioshock - 75% off ($4.99, Genre: Action, RPG, Metascore: 96/100)
    • Grand Theft Auto IV - 75% off ($7.49, Genre: Action, Adventure, Metascore: 90/100)

The current set of deals is the final in the chain (ends Jan 3), and Valve is running an Encore! set of deals for the finale.

My opinion: pretty much all of these titles are enticing. If you missed any you wanted during the course of the holidays, make sure you grab them now. I would particularly recommend picking up Bioshock, Torchlight, and Grand Theft Auto IV.
    edited January 2010
    Weekend Deal - Jan 7 to Jan 10
    • Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter - 66% off ($6.79, Genre: Action, Metascore: 69/100)

My opinion: if you like to backpedal and shoot at stuff (a lot), then pick this game up. If you played the original Serious Sam games, it may also be worth the grab for the nostalgia factor. Wouldn't buy this game at full price.