Change file sorting in Windows 7?

UPSKingpinUPSKingpin SirElkhart, IN Icrontian
edited December 2009 in Science & Tech
The more I use Windows 7, the more impressed I am at its performance. However, I noticed in explorer that files aren't sorted the way I'm used to. I never used Vista a whole lot so I don't know if this goes for Vista as well, but here's my issue:

When I name files with numbers or parentheses, they are placed before same-named files without either. For example:

File (blahblah)
File (stuff)
File 2
File 3
File

I hate this. I'm used to the following, which, to me, makes much more sense:

File
File 2
File 3
File (blahblah)
File (stuff)

Is there any way to tweak Win7 to sort the way I want it to? Or is it just an option I completely missed?

Or do I have to deal with it? :mean:

Obviously, I could eliminate half the problem by renaming "File" to "File 1", but parentheses would still be listed before numbers, which annoys me. Any ideas?

Comments

• UPSKingpinUPSKingpin Sir Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Also, just checked and none of the above applies to folder names, only file names. Folders are displayed like my second example.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited December 2009
    UPSK.....I just played with it, it does it your way if you sort by Name and Descending doesn't it?

SortBy.jpg
    edited December 2009
    Tried that already, that sorts in the following way:

File
    File 2
    File 1
    File (...)

Also, it sorts everything in descending order, Z-A-#, with folders appearing last.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    UPSKingpin wrote:
    Also, it sorts everything in descending order, Z-A-#, with folders appearing last.

I hate that it messes with folder position. I'll often use sorting by date modified, and toggle between oldest and newest. It makes no sense to me that folders are moved to the end of the list when sorting by most recent.
    edited December 2009
    Gargoyle wrote:
    It makes no sense to me that folders are moved to the end of the list when sorting by most recent.

Completely agree, I can't see why anyone would find that optimal.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    I would love to know if there is a solution for this as well. It's driven me up a wall that they changed the sorting behavior. It is almost as poor as Mac OSX's method of sort, which doesn't even GROUP folders at all, but rather places them in line with the rest of the files, depending on sort parameters. It's completely ridiculous.