No Half-Life 2 Episode 3 in 2010

UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA:Redwood City, CA Icrontian
edited November 2010 in Gaming

Comments

• WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    *sigh* Episode 2 and the Orange Box were so good to me. I want Episode 3 so bad!

I really hope Valve wraps up the source engine with episode 3 and then takes a leap forward like they did with Half-Life 2. Just like Tom Petty says, "The waiting is the hardest part"
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Valve saying one thing then doing the opposite. Wow, shocking.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Could someone please inform Valve that they would not like me when I'm ANGRY!!! RAGE!!!!!

hulk+rage.bmp
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    it is SO frustrating :(

I don't think they're going to use a new engine for Episode 3, and I don't think it's going to be a true stand-alone sequel. Everything they've said and (mostly) done so far suggests otherwise.

There also isn't any major conclusive evidence pointing to a Half-Life 3, no matter how badly we know we want/need it. Chances are, Valve will do it anyways, but a new engine will be daunting. It'll put development YEARS away.
  • Idiot_SlayerIdiot_Slayer Member
    edited January 2010
    Really I saw this coming, at the moment I am more excited because the Black Mesa project is closer to release.
    It's no Ep 3 but it'll do for now.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Did someone say ZOMBIE GOAST?

<object width="384" height="313"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h8yHguvYYyQ&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h8yHguvYYyQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="384" height="313" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
    edited January 2010
    GORDON FREEMAN IS NOW THESE HANDS.
    edited January 2010
    YOU WILL BE ONE OF US! :<
  • edited January 2010
    I hope they make this next one really good. I don't mind waiting. If its better and LONGER than all the other chapters than i will be happy =)
    edited January 2010
    Wha...! but.. but... Half-Life is MY lover!
    edited January 2010
    ITT: Bobby dabbles in a ménage à trois.
  • edited January 2010
    Good Lord ! seems like they will release after 2012 ( doomsday )....
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited January 2010
    Half life is clearly a two timing slut!
  • edited January 2010
    As much as I want the EP3, I also understand the developers. It should be really boring to keep stretching the same story after a while. Also, they have other extremely successful products bringing in even more cash with much less cost, like TF2, L4D, L4D2. While the latter group of games is more profitable, priority of EP3 will be lower.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    mirage wrote:
    As much as I want the EP3, I also understand the developers. It should be really boring to keep stretching the same story after a while. Also, they have other extremely successful products bringing in even more cash with much less cost, like TF2, L4D, L4D2. While the latter group of games is more profitable, priority of EP3 will be lower.

HL2 has sold upwards of 7 millions copies. I'd say thats pretty successful, and deserving of attention.
    edited January 2010
    MAGIC wrote:
    HL2 has sold upwards of 7 millions copies. I'd say thats pretty successful, and deserving of attention.

Yeah, its only the greatest game ever made, and the very foundation for why Valve even exists.

I'm kinda old around here so not everyone will relate, but when I was six years old I saw The Empire Strikes back with my little brother and Dad. There was this little surprise at the end, then we all debated for the next three excruciating years weather or not it was all true? Did he lie, is it a set up, if its the truth, how the hell did he get all the robot parts, why turn to evil? All those questions, and three years was a long ass time to make a little kid wait for some answers. When ROTJ finally arrived, my Dad could not immediately get us to the theater, friends of ours saw it first, after it had been out for a few weeks my brother and I ganged up on him, threw a tantrum and got the closure we desperately needed!

Valve, I'm too old for this shit. I need my sequel, I need closure, I need to know how the story ends. Don't make me throw a temper tantrum!
    edited January 2010
    What was it like when movies were in black and white? Tell us a story, uncle Cliff!
    edited January 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    What was it like when movies were in black and white? Tell us a story, uncle Cliff!

;D

Sequels took forever to make, and VHS casettes were released about two and a half years after the initial theatrical release, and they cost $59 a pop. I do rember that much.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I remember that Blockbuster used to charge a $119 late fee if you didn't return your VHS on time.
    edited January 2010
    And if you didn't rewind before returning, YOU WERE CHARGED A FEE!
    edited January 2010
    Please be kind... Rewind.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    Please be kind... Rewind.

BeKindRewind.jpg
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I remember you could rent gaming systems back in the N64 era. Good times.
    edited January 2010
    GHoosdum wrote:
    I remember that Blockbuster used to charge a $119 late fee if you didn't return your VHS on time.

I had a friend in the movie rental buisness years ago (he used to tell the ladies he was in "film distribution"). Anyhow, the way they used to do buisness the studios would require for the rental outlets to pay a exhorbinate first run VHS fee to get the rights to rent the film before they had a broad release for the consumer to purchase outright. This buisness model lasted for many years. Studios would release rental copies in the video stores for an exclusive period. At least a few months before you could buy copies that were widely available for ownership. If I remeber correctly he said it would range from about $100 to $150 per VHS copy so he could have it available to rent on day one.

Now mind you, this was at a time that the typical VHS movie cost about $20 or so from your local Sam Goody after it got through its inital rental exclusive period so the studios were working hard to see that they got their cut of the rental buisness up front. Thats why the store nailed us for $119 if we "forgot" to return our VHS back then instead of just charging us $20 or so to own it which would have seemed far more reasonable.

You know what killed that model? Warner Bros. decided to forgo all that with the origional Tim Burton Batman, the film was in theaters durring the summer 1989, it was available on VHS to own by holiday 1989, and when I went into the mall and saw that it was like a real "Oh wow" moment for me. Hey, this movie was only in theaters six months ago and I can buy it for $20 in glorious VHS!! Two years later they were shutting down my favorite beat up $1 second run movie theater.

Now you just stream it for a couple bucks a few months after the theatrical release.

You kids will never know the pain of rewinding, or a two head that will not track properly, or even worse, having the tape tangle up in your VCR, or having to beg your mom for $1 to see it in the beat up 2nd run movie house knowing full well that its your last chance to see that movie for a couple of years, yeah, you kids don't know my pain *shakes old man fist at Valve for bringing these emotions to surface*
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Like Hell I won't my parents didn't even buy a DVD player until we couldn't find VHS anymore.
  • GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited January 2010
    Valve, I'm too old for this shit. I need my sequel, I need closure, I need to know how the story ends. Don't make me throw a temper tantrum!

And if their past actions are any indication they'll probably never finish the story! :)

Seriously though Valve, you know how to tell a story exceptionally well...but I'm really starting to doubt you actually have much of a story.

(Maybe...I don't know...I'm kinda torn on the whole issue)
    edited January 2010
    Grimnoc, have you played all the way up to Episode 2 from the beginning?

I love the story, and think it's a great example of storytelling in gaming. It's progressed nicely over the episodes.

I can't think of many complaints about it.. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts against it.
    edited January 2010
    It didn't deserve best drama game.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    It didn't deserve best drama game.

Yeah but they have those stupid "genres" that Half-Life couldn't fit into so they just stuck it in drama.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Episode 3 is prolly done they are probably working on portal 2 and other to bundle with it in orange box 2.0