stress testing

DonutDonut Maine New
edited May 2010 in Hardware
I picked up a used video card (9800 gx2) and I'm looking to put it through its paces before I declare it good. (also if I decide to sell it, I don't want to sell a bum card)

ATItool, I can't figure out if I'm actually stressing both cores (don't think I am)
I tried "furmark", bench test is good, stress test was getting the card hotter than I liked.
FAH, has successfully completed 10+ wu's per core.

Any ideas?

As it stands my psu (Corsair 520w HX)does not meet the "recommended" for this card, but there are a bunch of folks that are successfully running it on less.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Furmark is the only legitimate way to stress the GPU at this time. I know you said you tried it, but it's the best there is.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited January 2010
    Thanks Thrax, I thought that was the standard, but wanted to make sure.
  • jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
    edited February 2010
    May I ask y'all about furmark without thread stealing?? I tried it a few times (stress mode only) and what is it I'm really looking for beside this fuzzy "Donut" rotating around the screen?? Also how long are you supposed to let it run??
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited February 2010
    This is how it worked for me, bench test was on a timer (iirc) at the end of the test it would give you fps. Stress test would just loop the "donut" (no pun intended) and display the temp. In my case, the stress test I would get screen "flashes". I also look for artifacts or any anomalies in the display. FWIW, the card in question, I could run the stress test about 1 min, temps were showing 95c and climbing fast with the fan speed on 100%. The benchmark test the fan speed only hit 100% briefly (just by listening)

I would only get the screen flashes running the "stress" test, and as I suspected, a stronger PSU made the flashes go away.
    edited April 2010
    :thumbsdow:topic::bs:
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited May 2010
    :confused:
    edited May 2010
    Donut wrote:
    :confused:

Sorry wish I could edit my post.....originally there was a spammer between you and me! :crazy: