How to recover Outlook folders and data

LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciersEagle River, Alaska Icrontian
edited March 2010 in Science & Tech
Long story short: I managed to completely hose a disk partition on which Win7 64 and Microsoft Office 2007 are installed. I will need to reinstall both Windows 7 and Office 2007.

I have an Acronis-made backup of the partition, which is intact, but which for some reason or another will not recover to the bad partition. I can though, access anything I want in the backup image.

Once I have Windows 7 and Officer reinstalled, how/where do restore the Outlook folders and data?

Maybe, in the meantime, I can repair the bad Win7 installations, but it's not looking promising.

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Here are the file locations for Outlook 2007. If you scroll down, it'll show you the locations for Windows 7. Located them in your back up and just copy them to the exact location in your OS partition. I'd recommend doing this before launching Outlook for the first time since I don't know if it creates a profile or anything.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Thanks, I haven't yet reinstalled Windows and Office, but it will probably be sometime today. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Black Hawk, as it turned out, I was able to successfully restore the bad partition. I moved both the 'bad' drive and the drive with the backup image to another computer. It worked flawlessy, so I didn't need to manually move email data from the backup.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited March 2010
    Just in case anyone else is wondering, without having to read the article Black Hawk posted.

The default location for the Outlook 2007 PST files in Win7 is: %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Users\"your user name"\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\

The default location for Outlook 2007 settings in Win7 is: %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Users\"your user name"\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook\