New Graphics Rendering Method, amazing? Yes.

JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
edited March 2010 in Hardware
I was watching this video today that just completely blew my mind, i hope nVidia and ATi wake up, this is very good technology.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q-ATtrImCx4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q-ATtrImCx4&hl=en_US&fs=1&&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Comments

• BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Everytime I try and watch it I just end up laughing at the eejits daft accent...

Reminds me of:
    <object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oijxA16NMWQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oijxA16NMWQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1&&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited March 2010
    nobody else finds this to be amazin?! lol
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    It's not new, and the downside is that you can't animate things.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    There are, in fact, a lot more issues with rendering in point position via unlimited detail then they lead on, from what I understand. And honestly, voxel/point cloud rendering isn't nearly as bad as they play it up to be.

The real future of computer graphics lies in polygons with real-time ray tracing. From a lighting standpoint, it is the best route to take. Whether it is the more efficient way of doing things is debatable, but in a time where computers and GPUs are reaching astronomical amounts of computer/rendering power, they will continue in that direction since the frameworks are so well implemented at this point. There really isn't a radical need for a paradigm shift, unless it is in the form of real time Raytracing.
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited March 2010
    UPSLynx i think you have a point.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Honestly, I'd love to be surprised by Unlimited Detail, but I don't expect to be. I need to see further convincing proof, like the tech being used in a realistic gaming environment with actual assets.

Until they ditch that lame name, actually get some real funding, show some real proofs, and people start talking about it at SIGGRAPH, I'll remain skeptical.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    shwaip wrote:
    It's not new, and the downside is that you can't animate things.

I don't see how it's impossible, it just needs to be coded by someone who knows how to. Off the top of my head(and I'm no programmer) I can think of one technique that could be used is a container box for the points similar to a bounding box. It could even be made of polygons! But invisible like the bounding boxes are and I'll call this an animation box. This would be for only animation and the points themselves with added physics could then allow for animation of truly dynamic destruction. Perhaps new animation boxes can then be built based on the new geometry(which I believe is technology that already exists for the most part though not for animation purposes I am sure). Less polygons would be needed for most animations performed but you would now have better capacity for detail in games that could never be done using current techniques for many years to come.

So this idea doesn't do away with polygons of course, but rather allows for a more hybrid approach. I also want to point out that this animation box in no way should interfere with the point system geometry and also that bounding boxes should not be needed for point systems for physics use. I'd say this would also allow for a truly 100% destructible environment based on a more realistic and dynamic destructible system that doesn't require you to build specific destruction points on a building such as blowing a hole in a wall.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    RWB, now you're trading pure geometry for geometry... filled with something.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Snarkasm wrote:
    RWB, now you're trading pure geometry for geometry... filled with something.

In a way yes, but in the end you should still have amazing quality rendering with animation, of course it's only an idea that popped in my head as I read what shwaip said.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    At the end of the day, you're still making infinitely small geometrical pieces - individual pixels inside a bounding box defined by geometrical pieces. Since all you can see is the outside, there's no point not just painting the pixels directly on the bounding box - which is what we do now with geometry... ever smaller, ever smaller.

It might improve destruction, but otherwise, the paradigm's unchanged and you have to worry about rendering stuff you can't see.