Media server software for Windows

edited March 2010 in Internet & Media
I was looking to upgrade the harddisk space of our PS3 for storing the DVD movies in standard MP4 (H.264/AAC). Then, I decided to try configuring a media server on the file server I keep running 24/7 in the basement which has a 2GHz Dothan with 2GB dual-channel DDR2 RAM and some unused disk space. I have installed TVersity free edition and copied all of our pictures, music, and movies on it. Just to improve the wireless network speed compared to 802.11g of PS3 while streaming the movies, I have installed a dedicated wireless bridge using two 802.11n routers running DD-WRT on the ethernet interface of PS3 (disabled wifi of PS3). The media server seems to be running fine and movies/music/pictures are playing on PS3 now. Do you have any suggestions for improving this configurations, especially an alternative Media server software since TVersity is using ~300MB of memory which seems to be too much to me.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Try the PS3 Media Server: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS3_Media_Server

It is widely regarded as the best media streamer/transcoder for the PS3.
  • edited March 2010
    Thanks, Thrax! This was the kind of suggestion I was looking for. I will try.
  • edited March 2010
    I tried the latest beta version of PS3 Media Server. It is a keeper! It is working great and using much less memory even with the Java overhead. Thanks for the suggestion again.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Glad I could help! :)