Air cooling dual-9800GX2 configurations

LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciersEagle River, Alaska Icrontian
edited April 2010 in Hardware
Some of you have expressed interest in seeing my case modifications and cooling configurations for my systems. For those of you who don't know, I'm an avid, long time Folding@Home participant. I run several computers with dual Nvidia 9800GX2 video cards full time, full load. In addition to the dual video cards, each of the systems has a four-core Q6600, CPU, overclocked, running 24/7, processing Folding@Home work units.

The case mods serve aesthetic preferences (to each his own :hair: ) as well as provide for better components cooling.

Four GPUs plus one four-core CPU in each case create a lot(!) of heat. Here are the main principles that guide most of my case modification efforts:
1. generous airflow, front to top, front to back
2. application of premium thermal paste on all GPUs and CPUs
3. removal of obstructions that retain heat and inhibit air movement. This includes removing the useless casings on the 9800GX2 video cards and tucking interior cables out of the way whenever possible.

I took the photographs in a rush, sorry if any of them are too "busy" or confusing to you.

Alright enough words, now for some pics....

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Case: Antec 900 II (Antec 902).
    Modifications:
    * duct to channel hot air away from the video cards' side exhaust ports directly to an exit opening in the back of the computer case
    * video card exhaust exit port cut into rear of the case
    * LED and cold cathode lights
    * removed mesh from windowed side panel and installed acrylic panel
    * cut out stamped metal rear fan grill

computers29mar10002.jpg
    edited March 2010
    I made the duct from a clear plastic liner from an EVGA video card box. It took about half an hour with a knife, ruler, and a pair of scissors

computers29mar10003.jpg

computers29mar10004.jpg

The strange looking gizmos on the four video card DVI ports are "dummy plugs." These are necessary in Vista and Windows 7 for multi-GPU Folding@Home. They are easy to make. The lower right cutout is courtesy of my Dremel, which I am a long way from mastering.

computers29mar10011.jpg
    edited March 2010
    In order: 1) close-up shot of the exhaust port, 2) showing off the Megahalems CPU heatsink and the cool (cheesy, I admit) three-color fan, and 3) my side panel window mod:

computers29mar10012.jpg

computers29mar10013.jpg

computers29mar10014.jpg
    edited March 2010
    Alright then, on to another computer.

Case: Cooler Master Stacker 830
    Modifications:
    * intake and exhaust ducts for the dual 9800GX2 video cards
    * video card exhaust exit port cut into rear of the case
    * removed mesh from windowed side panel and installed acrylic panel
    * cut out stamped metal rear fan grills
    * installed low-RPM, 140mm as top exhaust fan
    * installed two 120mm intake fans in drives cage area

computers29mar10016.jpg

computers29mar10017.jpg

computers29mar10019.jpg

Ha ha, guess what the exhaust duct is fashioned from? Can you read that logo? Ocean Spray. :D

computers29mar10022.jpg
    edited March 2010
    computers29mar10025.jpg

computers29mar10026.jpg

computers29mar10028.jpg
    edited March 2010
    OK, next computer. (This is 3 out of 4 computers, but this thread has required enough work already. I don't have pictures for the fourth computer.)

Case: RocketFish by Lian Li
    Modifications:
    * intake and exhaust ducts for the dual 9800GX2 vid cards
    * additional exhaust fans installed in the back top (port cut) - 2 X 80mm Panaflo fans that had been in my parts bin for close to 7 or 8 years
    * extra 120mm intake fans installed in empty bays (front)
    * 120mm booster fan installed for RAM effect at the front of the video cards' intake duct
    * cut and installed a window in the side panel
    * cut intake in bottom of the case underneath the PSU - previous mesh-type ventilation was woefully inadequate for the PSU
    * video card exhaust cutout in rear of case (the case came with an integral video card exhaust assembly, but it was not very efficient)

computers29mar10030.jpg

computers29mar10031.jpg

computers29mar10034.jpg

My computers that are not at desktop level are on little stands that I made. Just a few inches off the floor makes a huge difference in lowering the amount of dust and lint they take in.
    edited March 2010
    Notes: 1) front 'door' on the case is too restrictive for proper air intake and I must leave it open, 2) my Dremel skills are not exemplary, 3) the plastic intake and exhaust ducts with these video cards make a significant difference. Without them, the hot exhaust from the video cards isn't expelled from the computer cases fast enough and recirculates through the video cards and through the CPU fan.

Last four photos. I need to go to bed!

computers29mar10035.jpg

computers29mar10037.jpg

computers29mar10038.jpg

computers29mar10040.jpg
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Dude we wear the same socks!
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Nice rigs.
  • edited March 2010
    I feel like I entered your sanctuary. Respect to your enthusiasm :respect: Thanks for sharing.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    I think I just had a nerdgasm.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Alaska is definitely melting as I type this.
    Great job Leo.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    I loved that you used the plastic the cards came in as the shields to direct the ported heat out the back.
    edited April 2010
    I loved that you used the plastic the cards came in as the shields to direct the ported heat out the back.
    Except for that one duct stamped "Ocean Spray."

But yes, the irony is pretty good!

It's an honor when the mighty sledge comments in a GPU thread! Thanks.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Well its an honor to finally see how your mustering up all those points :) Hey I have a WC GTX 295 for sale :)