LOTR:Battle For Middle Earth II Crashing Problem. HELP!

CharnelLord666CharnelLord666 Edmonton, AB Canada
edited May 2010 in Gaming
I just borrowed Lord Of The Rings:Battle For Middle Earth II with the Rise Of The Witch King expansion. I borrowed this game before and had played it on an older computer and it seemed to work fine. Now, however, I can install the game on my newer, better computer, but it seems like whenever I run into anything remotely graphically detailed the game completely freezes up and crashes on me. This makes no sense to me seeing as my computer is more than able to run this game and everything about this computer is better than my older one. For instance, if I open the game, the intro runs fine and the menus and loading screens work perfectly. However, if I try to run the My Heros tab, the guy on the screen will move for 3-5 seconds and then the whole thing will freeze (The music continues though). None of the buttons work and I have to wait about 20 minutes for the game to boot me to the desktop where I will get an error message saying "Direct 3D error 0x0x8007000 [E_OUTOFMEMORY]" and then it will say that there are 6 functions that could not be completed. The same thing happens after about 30 seconds to 5 minutes of gameplay in skirmish or campaign mode. I have installed all the latest patches for this game.

Here is some additional info on my computer:

-I am running an IBM model with Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 3.
-It has has a 3GHz Pentium 4 (easily exeeding the required CPU)
-It has approximately 1500 MB of RAM.
-Appropriate Hard Drive space.
-NVidia GeForce 6200 with the latest driver updates.
-DirectX 9.c

Ask me for any more information you may need. Ive been fiddling with this stupid game for a while and it just will not work without crashing. A friend suggested that the motherboard just doesnt agree with the game and encounters a math error. I cant say that this is not a possability but I'm not the kind of person to just accept that it will never work:p.

Im fairly computer smart so dont be afraid to get really technical.
Thanks.

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    First... Welcome to Icrontic.

Second... Help with LOTR Game

Maybe the driver is corrupted. Try uninstalling the driver, rebooting, and installing the newest driver GeForce 197.45.

Also, make sure you have cleared out all temp files (Internet cache, system temp) and defragged the hard drive. May want to scan your system for malware/viruses/spyware.

Also.. what is the CPU show when NOT running the game? How about the RAM?
  • CharnelLord666CharnelLord666 Edmonton, AB Canada
    edited April 2010
    Alright, ill do this tonight when im done with my computer. Quick question though, if my computer was simply clogged with this stuff, wouldnt EVERYTHING about the game be running poorly along with other games and programs on my computer?

Also, a new problem showed up. I found out that whenever I change the resolution, it seems to take an effect on just how long i can have graphic detail going, however, every 1 out of about 3 times of changing the resolution, the game does not only crash, but the whole computer restarts itself and I get a message saying that the computer has just recovered from a serious error. This is confusing me even more as to whether this is a problem with the game, the computer, or both.
    edited April 2010
    Driver could cause the problems you described. As for the "junk"... if the stuff you're running doesn't require much horsepower then you may not notice it. Games can really require everything to run smooth.

After you do the stuff I recommended above and if things do not improve... Time to test memory and maybe even the hard drive. First report back on how the first suggestions worked before we get to the next step.
    edited April 2010
    Allright, thanks. Ill get started on that right now.

I still think its strange though, that I've run much more complex games and programs than this game yet this is the only one ive ever gotten alot of trouble from on this computer so far.
    edited April 2010
    Oh yea, and as for the question I sent you earlier, I think i figured it out on my own.
    edited May 2010
    Alright, so after defragging the crap out of my computer and doing virus scans on multiple anti-virus programs AND redownloading and reinstalling the latest driver the game did the exact same thing! I dont get it at all! It seems like the game is too good for the computer which isnt the case at all.

While running the game my CPU is at about 1.4 GHz and the RAM is about 1244 MB

I cant think of anything else to do with my computer that could fix this, im completely stumped..
    edited May 2010
    Man... the only other thing is a full reload of drivers or reinstall Windows.
    edited May 2010
    Yea and even that might not work.. I dont get it, there is absolutely no reason for this not to work
  • coldalarmcoldalarm England, UK
    edited May 2010
    Try an older driver.
    nVidia's latest for the 9800GT are 19x, but I went back to an 18x driver for the stability (specifically Fallout 3) and I've not had a single GPU-related BSOD that I know of since.
    edited May 2010
    hmm, i guess it could work, although I still dont see how this doesnt affect the other older games i play.
  • coldalarmcoldalarm England, UK
    edited May 2010
    You'd be surprised. Fallout 3 was the only thing that was blue screening with any regularity, everything else was fine.