WD Passport formatted to both Windows and Mac

WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
edited May 2010 in Hardware
hi all,

I have been trying to format this HDD (its like 600gbs).. I looked around and used

format /fs:Fat32 X:

in CMD... but it says that it is too big to be fat32... any other suggestions on how to get this harddrive to be able to used in both macs and windows...

Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Format the drive NTFS, install NTFS-3G Read/Write Driver on any Mac that you need to use it on. Probably the only way that it's going to work. If you wanted you could even create a small FAT32 partition at the start of the drive and put the NTFS-3G installer on it so any time you have to use it on a new Mac you can install the driver from the drive
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    hmm.. only one problemo with that... the whole point is to have it work on school macs...where ntfs-3g may not be able to be installed
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    fat 32 should be good to 2tB (or 8) (according to wiki). Maybe try a different tool for formatting?
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    shwaip wrote:
    fat 32 should be good to 2tB (or 8) (according to wiki). Maybe try a different tool for formatting?

i am going to try out swissknife...do u have any other suggestions

thanks
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Use the Windows Disk management to partition and format it instead of the command line tool perhaps?

Microsoft loves to cripple and/or fail to update their command line tools.
  • foolkillerfoolkiller Ontario
    edited May 2010
    Use the utility fat32format. It doesn't have the false limits that the Windows format command does, supports up to a full 2TB FAT32 disk.

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Does exFAT work on Macs?