As always, I have a question

DareDare SD
edited June 2010 in Gaming
Not on much, not on the comp much. Pretty busy lately.
Got 9 days off, and have a little bit of cash.

Still using the old system, Core2duo, 3800series ATI card, 4 gigs of ram.

Was wondering if anyone could recommend an FPS with some good story to it, thats worth a solo play.

And whats a great Online FPS.

If you can answer my as always silly questions, I would, as always, appreciate it muchly.

I'm bumming through review after review, but so many of the reviews are worthless. Just want some personal opinion on a game with good control and a storyline worth playing through.

And one about a game thats worth playing online with others.

-Dare

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2010
    Borderlands will run on that rig.
  • DareDare SD
    edited June 2010
    Appreciate the tip. But have that for the 360 and have played it through countless times. XD

Was a GREAT game though. I fell in love with it from my first Comic styled headshot. XD
    edited June 2010
    Well then. I got nothing else that I've enjoyed that fits your criteria. But then again I'm not a FPS aficionado to begin with. Borderlands just happened to work on so many levels that it snuck in there and took hold.
  • highchronicleshighchronicles Toronto, On Canada
    edited June 2010
    If you like realism try operation flashpoint: dragon rising. basically no story to speak of but really cool modern war sim. You could be shooting at people at ranges of over 500M or more and some times they look like dots on the horizon. In multiplayer you will fight at shorter ranges but its not as fast as CoDMW2. Its a slower paced game, take time lining up your shots, extremely realistic to the point that bullets will fall to gravity at ranges over 200 meters and you CAN get killed in one shot even when fighting single player. My only beef is friendly A.I. is kinda dumb but still gets the job done quite well.

If you want story look at fallout 3, Metro 2033 is cool (but only from word of mouth and game reviews) and last S.t.a.l.k.e.r shadow of Chernobyl (or one of its sequels)
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    XIII is fun.
  • ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Have you heard of a game called Halo (I hope I'm spelling that right)? I hear that one is pretty good. You get to kill aliens or zombies or whatever else the kids like nowadays.

Also Left 4 Dead 2 is great if you're playing with friends, though I wouldn't recommend a solo playthrough. Battlefield Bad Company 2 is good too.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Will mass effect run on that machine? It's more of a 3rd person shooter / rpg - but it has an excellent story.
    edited June 2010
    Yeah I had forgotten about them but S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 1 and 2 are pretty good and fit the bill. Also Fallout 3 (not sure how I forgot that one) is also excellent.
  • ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    His rig will definitely be able to run Mass Effect, though not at max settings. It is a great game, but much more so for the RPG elements than shooter. It also lacks any kind of multiplayer.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    I will also second Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. It reminds me of Ghost Recon and is in many respects what I wanted Ghost Recon II to be. If you like the tactical shooters, this one is pretty great.

Other great online FPS: there's this game called Team Fortress 2. Some of us play it. You could too ;)
  • DareDare SD
    edited June 2010
    Thanks for the pointers guys!
    Have ME and ME2 for the 360, played em a few times through, same with fallout 3.

Ended up buying L4D the original. (It was cheap). Prolly gonna grab TF:2 this week too. Always meant to, havent gotten to it yet.

So far my favorite side of L4D is the versus. XD

I loved GRecon1 back on whatever ancient console I had it for, so if Operation Flashpoint is what the sequel should have been, I will definitely check it out. And a little slower paced isn't a bad thing to me. I'm the guy sneaking along in MW2 with an acog being a dirty camping whore, generally. And loving it. >.>
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited June 2010
    BioShock and the half Life series are my shout but if you like FPS' you probably have these already. Gears of War is also good although that is more 3rd person.
  • highchronicleshighchronicles Toronto, On Canada
    edited June 2010
    OF dragon rising isn't the small scale tactical shooter that ghost recon is, the best way to sum it up is here, check out the video review on gamespot http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/operationflashpoint2/video/6232243/operation-flashpoint-dragon-rising-video-review?tag=summary;watch-review

its the 360 review but it applies to all systems

There are vehicles but it isn't jump in and start driving and gunning, you need 3 people in a tank to use it and you get one role only gunner, driver or commander this is the same with jeeps or helis where you need a pilot to fly and a co pilot to shoot accurately (or in the case of the black hawk you need 2 door gunners)