Optiplex GX280 -- needs caps

PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
edited June 2010 in Trading Post
Only for those who enjoy replacing capacitors...
I have an Optiplex GX280 that suffered from the leaking cap issue that most of these models suffered from. It finally died, and I was going to take it to the electronic recycling joint but I thought I would check if there is anyone in here who wants to recap it. You can buy kits for this system online for less than $30 and resell the machine for $150-200.
I don't have a soldering iron or the will, but if you like that sort of thing I'll send it your way for $50 + shipping.
It includes a brand new IDE hard drive (installed thinking this was the problem only to find out it wasn't), 1gb of memory, WinXP Pro license from Dell, dvd burner, 2.8ghz P4, gigabit lan.

I don't expect anyone wants this, but if you have the know how and the tools you can make money with it. I give it a week on here and then I'm parting / dumping it.

Thanks!

Comments

• AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Gravite,
    If you have any sort of use still for this I can probably get and ship you a new motherboard. Hell, if anyone wants it I can ship them a motherboard. Just let me know.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Annes wrote:
    Gravite,
    If you have any sort of use still for this I can probably get and ship you a new motherboard. Hell, if anyone wants it I can ship them a motherboard. Just let me know.

Ya I'm interested if you want to PM me a price. I don't actually have use for the computer, but I could sell it if it worked. Thank you for the heads up.
  • allenpanallenpan ThunderBay, Ontario, CAnada Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    if you pay for the shipping, i will recap it for u for 10$, do let me know how many caps need to redo and whats the value so i will go to my lab and collect those.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    allenpan wrote:
    if you pay for the shipping, i will recap it for u for 10$, do let me know how many caps need to redo and whats the value so i will go to my lab and collect those.

That sounds good. Let me see if I can get the heatsink off (it is covering some caps) without ripping out the cpu and killing everything .. which is probably practically glued to the heatsink after years of use.
    I'll then check the caps and let you know.

Can you PM me your address? Also, are you Canadian drinking age and do you like beer? I can send you some fantastic California microbrew if you are interested.
  • allenpanallenpan ThunderBay, Ontario, CAnada Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    btw do u want some ram for that machine? i mgiht have few DDR1, let me know how many slots free so on