crazy gadget guy : playing games with no videocard

ins4n17yins4n17y Cabanatuan City, Philippines Icrontian
edited June 2010 in Hardware
so i dropped out of school, changed my name and left the country to the philippines...after a very dramatic life change was needed.

i missed my tech life and last year modern warfare 2 came out in november (or around that time) and i wanted to play it so bad other than i never got a chance to buy nor play the game before i left.

i left to the philippines and i've been there ever since wanting to play codmw2. i had 15,000 php (philippine pesos) which is about $300 and i thought i'd build myself a gaming rig 'cause my cousin owns a computer shop.

my specs :
althon x2 240 3000php
gigabye ga-ma78gpm-ud2h 5000php
wd 320 8mb cache hdd 2000 php
raptor 115~240v psu 2500 php
kingston ram dual kit 4gb 2500php

i got a keyboard and monitor at another discount price and was given codmw2 to play. problem is i have no videocard, so i decided to tweak the f**k out of the system to see how it would fare without a videocard.

i overclocked the gpu's original 500mhz hd3200 to 850mhz without a voltage increase and without changing the cooling. i left the mem alone on the gpu, though my ram timings on the ddr 2 is in dual channel 6-6-6-18 with the ht set to max 2ghz and sata ahci.

my monitor is a benq 16.5" 1366x768.

when i ran cod on max rez 1366x768, it ran beautifully. so i bought crysis. also at the same rez, and it worked fine.....i even beat it on hard difficulty.

i was wondering if anyone else has a 780/g chipset and tried ocing it. so far i've been able to game at all the max settings without needing to buy a videocard. i do have however the most updated drivers as when installed my os i preburned after predownloading them to a cd.

i've heard passive temps up to 1200mhz from 500 on xtremesystems and hardocp forums without active cooling and just using the inbox heatsink...without stability issues.

anyone else tried ocing 780/5/g?

Comments

• edited June 2010
    what fps are you getting with mw2? I actually ran that on a pentium 4 + 4550 once. lol. (lots of stuff turned off/down)

I haven't tried overclocking onboard video but you are gave me an idea that I should try to overclock the onboard (or onchip) video on the new i3 530s.
  • ins4n17yins4n17y Cabanatuan City, Philippines Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    what fps are you getting with mw2? I actually ran that on a pentium 4 + 4550 once. lol. (lots of stuff turned off/down)

I haven't tried overclocking onboard video but you are gave me an idea that I should try to overclock the onboard (or onchip) video on the new i3 530s.

40-60fps, depending on the level and what is going on. the ONLY time it drops to 20-30fps is when there is LOTS of smoke/air effects like when you're in the gunner seat of the humvee in the first level before you reach the school and/or in the level where you're blowing up the fuel tanks while hiding yourself in a blizzard.
  • edited June 2010
    There was a trick on cod4 where you can run it using cod2's older render engine or something, you might be able to squeeze more frames with that if they have something similar to that in MW2. Yeah the single player maps can be brutal although the spec ops maps were pretty smooth. Disabling shadows I think helps a lot.