Dell Precision 670 SCSI Controller Driver Problem -HDD not found (Video and Pictures)

edited June 2010 in Hardware
Hey everyone,
I recently picked up a Dell Precision 670 Desktop and I'm trying to reinstall Windows XP Professional on it. The problem I'm having is that when it boots, the bios recognized the drives as you will see in the video below, but then when the windows installation loads, it cannot find any drives. The hard drives are plugged in to an Adaptec AIC-7901 controller. As shown in the video I've already tried installing the controller driver by pressing F6 during the installation load, it confirms the driver and installs it but still can't find the HDDs.

I'm guessing I either have the wrong driver or I'm doing something wrong here. I've also attached photos of the harddrives and where they are plugged in to on the motherboard. The Bios also says "Bios not installed!" on boot (again in the video). Been working at this for a while and can't figure it out, any help would be appreciated.

Random_06_23_10_285.jpg
Random_06_23_10_283.jpg
Random_06_23_10_284.jpg

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/51t7-4-B1UY&hl=en&fs=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Looks to me like you need to go into the configuration utility for your card and configure your drives. Hit Ctrl-A when you get to the Adaptec screen and initialize your drives (I assume you will be using them as individual drives). Some SCSI Raid cards in order to use the drives you have to initialize them as a 1 disk RAID array.
  • edited June 2010
    ardichoke wrote:
    Looks to me like you need to go into the configuration utility for your card and configure your drives. Hit Ctrl-A when you get to the Adaptec screen and initialize your drives (I assume you will be using them as individual drives). Some SCSI Raid cards in order to use the drives you have to initialize them as a 1 disk RAID array.

If I click CTR A, I have three options:
    • Configure/View SCSI Controller Settings
    • Configure/View HostRAID Settings
    • SCSI Disk Utilities
    I attached an image of what the first option goes to. Not sure what to do in there.
  • edited June 2010
    My main question is how do I know what driver I need. I went to the Adaptec driver page to look for different drivers but I have no clue which driver I would need.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    You're going to need one of the drivers here

Which one appears to be up to how you are configuring your card (RAID or non-RAID).
  • edited June 2010
    Im doing non-RAID, should I use the middle one on that page then?
  • edited June 2010
    On second thought, I've tried using the middle one on that page before, just got it from a different site. I'll try the first.
  • edited June 2010
    IT WORKED! Finally, I've tried so many different drivers. Thanks for the help. The first driver on that page was the one that worked.