IC Rock climbing?

ZenModeZenMode Royal Oak, Mi Icrontian
edited July 2010 in Community
I talked with a few people about this @ EXPO, but I wanted to throw it up here to see what the interest level is like.

Things to consider:

Possible location
Timing

Rock climbing sounds very fun and challenging - just to throw some initial ideas out, I was thinking maybe late summer/early fall.

Should this be a 1 or 2 day event? Anyone familiar with any campgrounds that have areas where climbing would be possible?

Lets brainstorm.

Comments

• RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    What level of rockclimbing are you talking about? Do we need to be trained? do you have equipment? How far are you willing to drive?
  • ZenModeZenMode Royal Oak, Mi Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    I guess I'm not sure what is required to do it - thanks for raising that point. As far as I have read, you need:
    Climbing Shoes
    Harness
    Belay Devices
    Locking carabiners
    Rope

All I know about it is what I've google'd on the subject (not a lot) - please clarify or add whatever I'm missing.

In terms of the difficulty level, I'd say that all depends on the experience level of the people attending. Personally I've never been rock climbing - and if we end up going this year I'd probably find a climbing gym near me to get some basic training unless we have someone with enough experience to train the crew before we give it an attempt.

I'd be glad to drive a ways (8+ hours) if the location was good for everyone else - it'd be fun to see some new areas anyway.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Could be fun. Definetly go to a indoor wall and try it. You will see how tiered you get after 10-12 minutes on the wall then ask yourself if you want to commit to 2-3 hours on the side of a cliff.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2010
    Yeah rock climbing isn't something that you just decide you want to do then go drop $500 on equipment for, just for kicks. Go hit an indoor wall and take a bunch of runs first.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Calling Pragtastic to the thread, calling Pragtastic.
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    For a group of mostly inexperienced climbers, a top-rope climbing area would probably be best (as opposed to a lead-climbing area). The gear involved in getting such a climb together is pretty costly as well (rope, webbing, locking carabiners, belay devices, harnesses, shoes). Would also need someone pretty confident in their ability to setup top anchors, knot ties, and teaching belay technique.

Personally, I've only been on a few outdoor climbs and wouldn't really qualify for all the above items without a good chunk of practice first.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Indoor is a great time with a very low equipment requirement (you just need shoes - sneakers will work). If that's an EPIC event, I'm interested. Otherwise I lack the strength, endurance, and desire to be outdoors required for the real thing.
    edited June 2010
    http://explore.planet-rock.com/locations Can schedule for groups.
    edited July 2010
    MAGIC wrote:

This is probably a much better idea - lets do that.
    edited July 2010
    ZenMode wrote:
    This is probably a much better idea - lets do that.

Should make this an event for Summer Shindig.
    edited July 2010
    Great idea, once we've got a head count I'll call about reserving some time or whatever we need to do.
  • SpencerForHireSpencerForHire Clawson, MI
    edited July 2010
    Depending on when we do this I could be interested.
    edited July 2010
    End of August I believe (20th?) Check the IC Event Timeline for the date(s)
  • SpencerForHireSpencerForHire Clawson, MI
    edited July 2010
    ZenMode wrote:
    End of August I believe (20th?) Check the IC Event Timeline for the date(s)

Lol I understand that, I meant in relation to my work etc.