large canvas print

MarushkaMarushka cambridge, ma Icrontian
edited September 2010 in Lifestyle
Hey everyone,

I got a cool deal through groupon the other day. I got a great price on a 16" by 20" canvas print of any photo of mine. They will print it and then will wrap it around a wooden frame 1.5" thick and deliver it to my door.

Does anyone have experience with this? Any advice? I am really excited to try it out. I have some photos I like that make me happy, but I am playing with the idea of taking a brand new picture just for this opportunity.

They have a good FAQ where they give me all the technical details, so im not concerned about that. Im more interested into what kinds of photos translate well to giant wall pictures? Content to avoid printing on canvas? Would black and white be neat or is a picture full of color something i will enjoy looking at?

Any advice or suggestions? What would you guys do?

Comments

• mondimondi Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    You want broader compositional pieces, rather than anything with fine detail. Detail is certainly possible, but you have to bear in mind that a canvas print will impart a certain amount of physical "grain" on your image.

Here's a detail of a piece I had printed on canvas - although it's rephotographed, you can see pretty well how the canvas affects the original.

attachment.php?attachmentid=28442&stc=1&d=1279243099
  • MarushkaMarushka cambridge, ma Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    hey guys,

evan and I got our canvas prints a few weeks ago and they look great! i really liked working with canvas on demand also. My shot was a little more abstract, so I didn't crop it to appropriate dimensions and just decided to let them do the rest. after i submitted and ordered my print, they sent me an email saying that rather than crop my picture, they will just make a custom frame, a little larger in one dimension, to match the aspect ratio of my original picture for no extra cost. pretty cool!

here is what it looks like:

e_P352767_0_232764_MW.jpg
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    That's awesome! What size is it?
  • MarushkaMarushka cambridge, ma Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    22x16 inches with a 1.5 inch thickness. shwaip's picture turned out really nice too!
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    Congrats. Friend of mine worked for Canvas on Demand, they're good people. This kind of customer service is not unusual (and is in fact rather typical) for them. +rep, and great picture choice. :)