User Account Control Window will not stay open

LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciersEagle River, Alaska Icrontian
edited August 2010 in Science & Tech
Problem: The UAC settings window will not stay open. The window will show on the desktop for one or two seconds, then it disappears. Also, when it is visible, there is no slider in the window to change UAC settings.

System: Windows 7/64 Home Premium with all updates.

This problem started after a couple of hard reboots I had to do today when I was troubleshooting a hardware issue. After one of the restarts, I started getting the UAC pop-ups asking for my permission to do just about everything.

Steps I've taken so far:

- Malwarebytes scan on the Windows partition - status was clean
- Avira Antivir scan on the Windows partition - status was clean
- confirmed I have administrator privlieges
- ran scandisk on the windows partition
- tried the registry fix shown on for this Microsoft KB - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978591
- ran HijackThis - looked OK to me....but I'm definitely not an expert

Is there a registry edit I could do for this? Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    FIXED:

It turned out to be a relatively easy fix. I simply imported the appropriate registry values from another computer with a similar Win7/64 configuration. The registry section I imported was HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies (complete contents).

The contents of the Policies section in the computer with the UAC problems were completely missing. As soon as I imported it, the fix was immediate.
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited August 2010
    Im glad you could figure it out by yourself :)

Wonder how this registry could have been altered, whatever... i hate registry problem, most of the times when something is going wrong in windows its because of bad registry :(