NY Times piece, Google and Verizon to challenge net neutrality?

Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
edited August 2010 in Internet & Media
Check this out.

Sensationalist, or is Google about to be evil? Discuss.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    It's totally sensationalist. The NYT absolutely got Google's position on this 100% wrong.

Articles from news organizations with a far better record of accurately covering technology (Bloomberg, et. al.) correctly indicate that Google remains in favor of net neutrality and are not working with Verizon to create any deal as the NYT suggests.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    It's totally sensationalist. The NYT absolutely got Google's position on this 100% wrong.

Articles from news organizations with a far better record of accurately covering technology (Bloomberg, et. al.) correctly indicate that Google remains in favor of net neutrality and are not working with Verizon to create any deal as the NYT suggests.

Thats the thing, I'm actually getting emails from bold progressive to petition Google not to be evil, and I think they have gotten a quarter of a million people to sign thus far. Obviously no harm in that, but if your Google and maintaining a consumer friendly image is the backbone of your business you can't be happy about this.

Honestly, I read a NY Times piece, then get an email from a huge organization for political action that I would expect to do at least some homework, it was alarming to me that none of the tech sites picked it up. Then I thought, well that just does not add up, if there is not outrage over net neutrality then maybe this NY Times article is way off the mark? Amazing.....
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    When you read the article the author makes the claim about what both of the companies are doing but there is nothing besides their claim.

They reference closed meetings and have vanilla quotes from insiders that give zero information. The article is really an opinion and then a lot of fluff about another news item.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Well, something big is going on...

Question is, how much do you trust Google and Verizon to suggest whats in best interest of the internet consumer?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    To be fair, they're only interested in abolishing net neutrality on wireless networks...

But it's still bollocks. Way to be evil, Goog.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Not like it's neutral now anyhow :/
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    I've also seen some speculation that Google was only discussing such a deal to force the governments hand in enacting net neutrality laws. That is, of course, pure speculation.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2010
    There is something going on, but there's to much speculation and panic going on to really know what the big picture currently is.