Anyone have a working Samba file share between ubuntu 10.04 and Windows 7?

Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
edited August 2010 in Science & Tech
Anyone have a working Samba file share between ubuntu 10.04 and Windows 7?

For some reason this is not going as planed. I can see my windows network, I'm fairly sure I have permissions set correctly, but when I drill down on the ubuntu machine, nothing, no files to report.

Anyone set a samba share up successfully on ubuntu 10.04 to share with a windows 7 machine on their network? Thanks.

Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Yep, sure have. Using the network browser is mostly useless (though I have seen it work at some points). Either go to Connect to Network Share in Nautilus and put your info in by hand or set it up at the command line. Also, it seems like unless you explicitly set up sharing for a folder it won't work, the automatic home group shares don't play nicely.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    ardichoke wrote:
    Yep, sure have. Using the network browser is mostly useless (though I have seen it work at some points). Either go to Connect to Network Share in Nautilus and put your info in by hand or set it up at the command line. Also, it seems like unless you explicitly set up sharing for a folder it won't work, the automatic home group shares don't play nicely.

Thanks, I thought there might be something going on with the network browser. It just does not drill down. I had XP working just fine with 8.04 for a while, but I can tell something has changed on the windows 7 end to throw a monkey wrench in it.

I'll crack my knuckles and see if I can't get it set up in the command line.

Thanks.
    edited August 2010
    I just had a sudden brain fart....

Pogoplug has linux software these days. I'll just skip Samba and access my cloud....

I was makin if moar harder for myself.... :confused2
    edited August 2010
    Okay, I solved the problem with the Samba share. In Windows 7 its necessary to uninstall the Windows Live Sign On Assistant. Once thats off the windows 7 machine, my network browser works flawlessly on the Unbuntu 10.04 machine.

The funny thing is, now, I'm having a heck of a time installing the linux pogoplug software LOL. The cloud browser is a good, convenient to have, but thats slow.... The network shares are much faster now that I have them working.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Hmm... that's interesting. I'll have to keep it in mind. Windows Sign On Assistant = bad.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited August 2010
    Hi Guys,

At the risk of hi jacking can either of you point me in the direction of a guide for setting up shares across a LAN between Windows and Linux. My Main rig is dual boot with Vista and Ubuntu but I have a Nokia N900 which runs Maemo. I am keen to try and set up a share via wireless network. I have heard SSH mentioned quite a bit but have not found much info on it. I am pretty new to Linux so I am not to familiar with using the terminal but I am always keen to learn!
    edited August 2010
    RichD wrote:
    Hi Guys,

At the risk of hi jacking can either of you point me in the direction of a guide for setting up shares across a LAN between Windows and Linux. My Main rig is dual boot with Vista and Ubuntu but I have a Nokia N900 which runs Maemo. I am keen to try and set up a share via wireless network. I have heard SSH mentioned quite a bit but have not found much info on it. I am pretty new to Linux so I am not to familiar with using the terminal but I am always keen to learn!

Maemo is Debian based like Ubuntu. I wonder if setting up Samba, then uninstalling the Windows Live sign in assistant on the Vista machine would apply?

Not sure to be honest, I have never used Maemo... Other than that challenge, how do you like the Nokia N900?
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Maemo 5 unlike earlier releases does not support CIFS out of the box.

If you want to get it working start here.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited August 2010
    Maemo is Debian based like Ubuntu. I wonder if setting up Samba, then uninstalling the Windows Live sign in assistant on the Vista machine would apply?

Not sure to be honest, I have never used Maemo... Other than that challenge, how do you like the Nokia N900?

Its a wicket little phone. Doesnt have as much in the way of games and stuff as the I phone but it does almost everything else. Just trying to learn linux now!!!
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited August 2010
    Basil wrote:
    Maemo 5 unlike earlier releases does not support CIFS out of the box.

If you want to get it working start here.

Cheers Basil, I will have a read. Im not to hot on the use of the terminal but I really want to learn.