How to Prioritize your network adapters (Windows)

kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
edited October 2011 in Science & Tech
Here's a handy little trick that I just stumbled across. This generally only pertains to laptop users but some other specialized installs may benefit as well.

Here's the scenario (the one I commonly come across):

You have a laptop in a work environment. You cable in at your desk but it also picks up your wifi network. The annoying thing about windows is that by default it assigns a higher priority to the wireless network then the wired. Why this is a pain is that if you are cabled in and wired it'll give priority to the slower wireless network by default even if both adapters are active.

Solution:
One way is to just disable the wifi, but honestly that's a pain. The better way is to give the wired connection the priority.
This works in XP, Vista, and 7 (haven't got any 2k machines to test but their relevance anymore is moot).
1) Open up the page that lists your network adapters. In XP that's done through Control Panel, Network. In Vista and 7 you have to go into Control Panel Network and Sharing and then from the left pane select 'Change Adapter Settings'

2) This will bring up a page showing all your different network cards. Without selecting any cards. Choose the 'Advanced' option from the very top menu. Then from that menu choose 'Advanced Settings'

3) This should open up a screen with two tabs labeled 'Adapters and Bindings' and 'Provider Order'. Under the Adapters and Bindings tab will be two windows called 'Connections:' and 'Bindings for local Area Connection:'

4) It's the connection window where the magic happens. Just use the arrow buttons to move the adapter priority order to your preferred settings.

5) Reboot and if you have your LAN set first then it'll handle the network traffic even if your wifi is connected.

There are some other things you can do if you feel more adventurous with the Bindings and Provider order. But the real meat is just shifting the adapter priority around.

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    Fantastic! I'm always getting pissed at this at work. Thanks for posting this little gem.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    Nice find. This is one of the big things I like a lot more on Linux than Windows, NetworkManager does a much better job handling the wifi/ethernet transition and prioritization than does Windows in my experience.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    Very useful - I can't use outlook when on wireless at work.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2010
    Glad it's finding some use. I just wish windows was smart enough to say "hey let's use the fastest connection" and then it wouldn't matter.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    Stickied. Very handy tip kryyst, thanks!
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    I had problems with this all the time when trying to use local shares or Synergy. My laptop has a handy switch for killing the WiFi, but this could still avoid some headaches!
  • TheAlertHuskyTheAlertHusky Victoria BC Member
    edited October 2011
    Thanks for the tips man! This will be helpful when I'm plugging in at school!