Official Icrontic Minecraft Server

Comments

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Word is that the old minecraft.net server took a dump and wouldn't come back. The downtime was them migrating everything to AWS.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    not Storm? ;_;
    edited January 2011
    Just an update, because I get defensive about the idea that my server is not performing properly:

After having a look at everything it seems that when you attempt to first connect to the server, the server connects to minecraft.net to verify your player id. Since minecraft.net is having problems, this is causing the timeouts which result in lost connections. Until minecraft.net is stable again logins won't be reliable. If you do manage to get logged in, everything should be fine from there.
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I just want to thank ardichoke for being the lifeboat for the time being. your server is running great and I thank you for helping ryder out.
    edited January 2011
    You're all welcome. Also, my server is the permanent home of the IC Minecraft Server at this point. Or at least I was under the impression that was the plan.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    So... that makes it more like a yacht than a lifeboat, then? Haha

Also, yes thank you Ardichoke for putting this all together, and for spending real moneys to get the server as nice as it is. Much appreciated. :D
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Notch posted the server change on his tumblr account this morning. Since I didn't see any posts here, I assumed I was the last to know, so I hadn't mentioned the downtime. Just to back up ardi, I noticed that all the login errors had either a 502 or actually showed a minecraft.net URL, a clear indicator that the problem was on the minecraft server rather than ardichoke.info. At any rate, notch promised better performance after the move, once completed.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    not Storm? ;_;

You should have @replied him as soon as their server went down. Could have had a lucrative new customer.
    edited January 2011
    You should have @replied him as soon as their server went down. Could have had a lucrative new customer.

Clearly. Unfortunately I had no idea the server went down until mid day yesterday.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    After having a look at everything it seems that when you attempt to first connect to the server, the server connects to minecraft.net to verify your player id. Since minecraft.net is having problems, this is causing the timeouts which result in lost connections. Until minecraft.net is stable again logins won't be reliable. If you do manage to get logged in, everything should be fine from there.
    Yes, this is 100% correct. If you don't wish to verify with minecraft.net, there is a line in the server.properties file.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Yes, this is 100% correct. If you don't wish to verify with minecraft.net, there is a line in the server.properties file.

YES PLEASE
    edited January 2011
    Crap, server.properties is part of Hey0 me thinks.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I wanted to play tonight and they still haven't gotten it back up and running. I am a sad panda.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I was able to connect last night, just took 5-6 tries to connect. May or may not still work tonight.

Edit: I agree with Ardichokes post below re being against turning off verification without the Whitelist.

-Digi
    edited January 2011
    I'm against turning off verification. As it is right now, we're running without a whitelist, turning off verification would open the doors wide open to even more potential griefers and we would not even have their actual usernames to be able to ban them afterwards.

Also, server.properties is also a part of vanilla Minecraft, it just doesn't have as many options as the hey0 server.properties.
    edited January 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    I'm against turning off verification. As it is right now, we're running without a whitelist,

wasn't aware of that.

I was able to get in just long enough to make the string grinder station when MC did its crash thing. haven't been able to connect for 20+ min :\

edit: nvm, it's probably going to be wonky tonight :(http://twitter.com/#!/notch/statuses/27812057982177280
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, no hey0 = no whitelist. Unfortunately that seemingly (to me anyway) common sense feature is not in vanilla. It also is not going to be in bukkit (though it will be able to be added with a plugin).
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I got in after a buncha tries.
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    man I wonder whats going on with minecraft.net they are having some serious probs!
    edited January 2011
    I can now connect to minecraft.net every time on the first try, but can't connect to our server.
  • edited January 2011
    I could connect to minecraft.net briefly after the_technocrat posted, but at this point I can no longer do even that. When I was able to connect to minecraft.net, I could not connect to arti's server.
    edited January 2011
    I've had pretty good success connecting to the server. Yes, it takes a few tries, but keep at it. Attempt to connect to the Ardichoke server, let it wait. If it times out or gives Java errors, just try again. You'll get in, it just may take a while. Just watch an episode of Loading Ready Run or something while you wait. :D
  • MalpercioMalpercio Greater St. Louis Area
    edited January 2011
    I've gotten to the point where once I get in, I just stay in, haha.
    edited January 2011
    I can't even connect to minecraft from over here.
  • edited January 2011
    It took a few attempts on both minecraft.net and ardi's serve, but I have successfully connected to both.
    edited January 2011
    I'm also in the game now. Took 3 attempts to log into Minecraft itself, then another 3 attempts to enter the multiplayer game. All together, took about a minute and a half. :)
    edited January 2011
    Bandrik wrote:
    I'm also in the game now. Took 3 attempts to log into Minecraft itself, then another 3 attempts to enter the multiplayer game. All together, took about a minute and a half. :)

I was at 20 minutes or so just for the server this morning, gave up
    edited January 2011
    I was just able to log in no problem on the first attempt. The problems with minecraft.net were probably still going on this morning. Perhaps they've finally resolved them?
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    I was just able to log in no problem on the first attempt. The problems with minecraft.net were probably still going on this morning. Perhaps they've finally resolved them?

It appears that's a no.
    edited January 2011
    Have you updated the server with the new updates?

I connected last night (to minecraft.net) and got updates and then again this morning.
This discussion has been closed.