Official Icrontic Minecraft Server

Comments

• BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Looks like the skin handling has been updated. I noticed skins weren't working, so hopefully this will fix it. A minor feature, I know, but custom skins are awesome.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Have you updated the server with the new updates?

I connected last night (to minecraft.net) and got updates and then again this morning.

Just updated the server. Dunno what changes were made... but meh.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    Just updated the server. Dunno what changes were made... but meh.

Lapiz now drops groups instead of one ore. Now let us expand the map!

-Digi
    edited January 2011
    I just subscribed to notch's tumblr (finally). Hopefully this will help me stay on top of the updates. Of course Snarkasm could also have updated the server :P

As could Thrax if he ever sent me his contact info.
    edited January 2011
    Updates are also listed on the Minecraft Wiki on the updates page. I frequently check it out of curiosity to what's been added, and they're fairly thorough on what's new.

Also yeah, having Lapis Lazuli Ore now dropping 6 - 9 Lapis Lazuli per block (instead of just 1) is awesome, and definitely needed. The Lapis Lazuli blocks were fairly rare (almost but not quite as rare as diamond). Sweet. :D
    edited January 2011
    The updates page is nice for reference... but I'm much more likely to see that there's been an update when it's in my RSS feed in Google Reader :D
  • ThrallThrall steinbach MB Canada
    edited January 2011
    Ramiel0
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I just tried mining a lapiz block I found and it still only dropped one. Is this update for newly generated blocks, or should it work for all ones?
    edited January 2011
    Huh... well I haven't even found my first Lapis block yet (congrats on finding one), but I would imagine that it should generate all 6-9 blue dye items as it's the behavior of an in-game object. Only explanation I have is if the server hasn't updated fully yet, but I don't know fully how the server-side of updating works.

So... Ardichoke, any ideas?
    edited January 2011
    The server has to be updated manually. I ran an update though right before my last post though which was after the latest update (according to Notch's tumblr page). I can update by hand if people want, I'll have to take the server offline for about 15 minutes to do it though.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I just tried it and it still is only dropping one piece of lapiz per ore... Is the server running Beta 1.2_02?
    edited January 2011
    The minecraft server that I'm running is the one that was built 2011-01-21 at 11:45. As I said, that is from after the latest update, so yes it should be 1.2_02. I know of no way to check this version number for sure though (there is no op command for checking the version and I can't find any command line switches to do so either).
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Is there a window where the log runs ardi? If yes, then at the top of the log when you start the server, it says the version.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    also, are we restarting the server at noon and 6pm EST now? I've been on twice when the server restarts at 6. Makes mob grinding tricky when you go AFK and the server's restarting.
    edited January 2011
    Well spank me silly and call me Sally, the server log file does show version number on restart. Apparently it's only 1.2_01... (as of restart yesterday anyway). The problem is, that is the latest version on the site. Perhaps he patched single player only at this point? I hand installed the latest server binary on Saturday at around 9pm.

tt - I restarted the server Saturday evening to make sure it was fully updated. Other than that, it should only be restarting at noon EST in order to make a backup. In fact, looking through the logs, the only stoppages I see there are the noon backups and twice when I had to update the server binaries. Neither of these happened at 6pm (one was at roughly 7pm the other was at 9:30).
    edited January 2011
    Ardi, try deleting minecraft_server.jar then running minecraft_mod.jar (the hey0 jar file).

If _server.jar is missing, it downloads the latest that might not possibly be on the site. Just a thought.
    edited January 2011
    I wiped hey0 mod completely and started a fresh server, don't even have the minecraft_mod jar anymore. I suppose I could grab it again (if need be), however, http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=151710 this suggests that my hypothesis is correct, notch only updated the client, not the server. So... don't mine lapis on the multiplayer server for now would be my suggestion.
    edited January 2011
    10-4
    edited January 2011
    Thanks for looking into that guys!

-Digi
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    So where are these squid I keep hearing so much about? I keep looking for them but they don't seem to exist, at least not in the water. I stumbled upon one that had somehow beached itself in someone's basement and it was HORRIFYING. Still, I'm trying to collect some paints and wool for people to add color to our town and can't find many of the black or gray paints. Any tips on finding the elusive squid would be appreciated.
    edited January 2011
    I was wondering that about the squids as well. I read on the Wiki that they can spawn anywhere that there is water (even in someone's house, provided the body of water is wide and deep enough). But I've also yet to see any, anywhere.

However, while the black ink is useful, you can now find black, dark gray, and light gray wool directly from various sheep that spawn. The darker shades are rarer than the plain white wool, but still far easier and more plentiful to get in my opinion.
    edited January 2011
    Ive come across a group of squids a couple times and beat 'em up to get their sacks (lol). I only saw them because I was up on my bridge and they were below. I do agree they are not the cuddliest looking creatures.

Just gotta keep your eye on the deeper water.

-Digi
    edited January 2011
    On the portion of the south rail line (the 1st one we did from GC to IC town) the blocks disappear quite often in that large square pattern. In the underground lake there were squid, last time I was on.

The lake is about 30-40 meters from GC on the west side.
  • edited January 2011
    I've tried squid hunting myself, the only time I have ever seen any were when loading and the monsters have loaded but the world hasn't. I've also attempted building a small tank to see if any would spawn in it, no such luck.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I know you guys are waiting for Bukkit to hit the prime time release, but I'm under the impression there are a few development releases that work with some of the "necessary" functionality you're looking to use as far as plugins go. It might be worth checking out, or I can point you in the right direction.
    edited January 2011
    The main thing I am REALLY missing is the "/who" command to see who else is on the game server with me. Having people say "hey who's here?!" all the time is kind of fun, but /who was much more convenient. Speaking of convenience, I would love to have "/home" returned as well, but that's probably viewed as cheating these days.

But seriously, needs more Doctor /Who.
    edited January 2011
    Today, Minecraft was featured as this week's Zero Punctuation review. If you've never seen or heard of Zero Punctuation before, then you're in for a treat: they're a series of fast-talking video reviews of various games by a very snarky Brit.

Check out the Minecraft Zero Punctuation video here.

He covers giant cock monuments and makes light of the Creepers. Also, I really want to build that skull fortress he mentions, and I can totally relate to how a simple enough project can really suck you in. Finally, make sure to watch the ending credits, as a funny little sequence occurs when he digs down in a cave. :D

Enjoy!
    edited January 2011
    Must be a lot of minecrafters viewing the site, can't even read it now.
    edited January 2011
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Must be a lot of minecrafters viewing the site, can't even read it now.

Yeah, no kidding... even the core http://www.escapistmagazine.com/ site is going reeeeeeeeeeeeally slow... strange. =/

It DOES work though, it just takes a while. Just tried the link now and it worked, after a 45 second or so wait.
    edited January 2011
    I love Yahtzee so much. SO. MUCH.

Also, I know there are development builds of bukkit (and they update them very, very frequently). I already have a bukkit test server installed that I launch and play around in every now and again (running on an alternate port, I usually don't leave it running though).
This discussion has been closed.