I just got a new laptop

edited October 2010 in Folding@Home
It wont be much but everything counts :wink: I just got a new Acer Aspire 4741G I'll only be folding when I'm using the laptop with it being plugged in.

The laptop has
Processor: Intel Core i5-430M processor 2.26 GHz
Memory: 4GB DDR3 1066 MHz
Graphics: Nvidia G320M 1GB

I decided to have folding not slow down the laptop I would stay away from running a cpu client on it and just run a Gpu2 Client on this laptop, but when the Gpu client runs windows gets incredibly laggy and basically wont work at all. The only thing that will tone down the lagging a bit is if I turn the CPU Usage Percent option in the configuration down to about half way, but window is still rather laggy even if I do this.

Is the laptop just not good enough to run the Gpu2 Client while at the same time being able to use the laptop? I was under the impression that Windows by itself wouldn't use much of the Gpu.

Comments

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    The CPU clients are designed to not slow down the computer, it uses spare CPU cycles that would go to the idle process. The GPU clients are designed to give some priority to processes using the GPU but not full priority.

You can always delete the GPU2 client and try the GPU3 client to see if the WU set has a different effect along with the new core that it uses.
  • edited October 2010
    _k_ wrote:
    The CPU clients are designed to not slow down the computer, it uses spare CPU cycles that would go to the idle process. The GPU clients are designed to give some priority to processes using the GPU but not full priority.

You can always delete the GPU2 client and try the GPU3 client to see if the WU set has a different effect along with the new core that it uses.

Ah ok thanks, I'll try the Gpu3 and the cpu Clients tonight. Because the laptop has a dual core should I use the Smp Client?

Thanks for all your help :) You helped me in my last thread as well :D
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    The only thing I could find on production for the 320m is a projection of about 1k ppd. Also I could find nothing on the processor. My guess would simply be that running Aero or other OS graphical stuff is eating enough of the mobile version of the processor that folding shows up.
  • edited October 2010
    _k_ wrote:
    The only thing I could find on production for the 320m is a projection of about 1k ppd. Also I could find nothing on the processor. My guess would simply be that running Aero or other OS graphical stuff is eating enough of the mobile version of the processor that folding shows up.

Ah ok thanks :) I've tried out the Gpu3 version and it still locks up the laptop. The Cpu/Smp version works well but I dont think the laptop is going to be on for enough time to meet the 3/4 day dead lines, so I think I might just give folding a miss on this laptop. Thanks for all the help :)