Backup Solution w/ Replication Between Two Sites

CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
edited October 2010 in Hardware
We're currently in the process of integrating a newly acquired company into our WAN/forest/etc. I've run into something I don't have enough knowledge on to quickly provide an answer. I'm hoping I can tap the collective knowledge of the Icrontic community.

The new company has two sites. We're trying to decide the best route to take to perform backups. To minimize user interference (not changing tapes, forgetting to take the tapes offsite), I proposed having a backup device at each site and replicating between the two. They only have about 120GB of data right now. This isn't expected to grow very quickly. Here's the options I see:

1. Configure a server at each site with enough storage to hold all data and replicate between the two servers. I'm at a loss for which software to use to perform this task though. As for server hardware, I'm looking at a couple HP DL160 G6 Entry servers with 1x SAS for OS and 3x SATA in RAID5 for data.

2. Configure a NAS at each site; preferably a model that supports replication out of the box. I have limited experience with SMB/Enterprise class NAS devices, so I'm not sure how to get the data to the NAS in the first place. Would we still need a separate server to perform the backup jobs. Do the NAS devices have native capabilities for this? Can you offer any suggestions for (probably entry level) NAS units? I've been looking at Netgear and Dell, but I'm a bit lost on exactly what I need.

Budget is probably around $8k for the whole project. If we go with servers, we have to stay on Windows. As for backup software, we typically stick with Symantec as well. Not to say we won't stray, but we have a pretty big contract with them. I'm open for other options, though. :)

Let me know if I'm missing any information.

Thanks!

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2010
    The biggest factor is what kinds of data are you trying to backup, what's your bandwidth between the two sites and how frequent do you want the data backed up.

In a simple scenario if all you are backing up is simple file data not sql databases or exchange servers or system files or bare metal etc...

Then you could easily use rsync to backup the data between each servers. But you'll have to make sure you are scheduling enough time to back it up. The initial data dump should be done manually because 120gb of data over the pipe will take days most likely.

As a slightly upgraded alternate. Put a simple nas on each site. Backup the data from the server to the local NAS (much quicker for recovery) then again sync the NAS's up between each other over night.

This is about as cheap and easy as you can get but only really works for backing up file data not live data (ie can't handle anything with a file lock).

Beyond that you'll have to look at specific backup software suite like Symantec or Acronis. Most consumer level NAS's also have backup software with them but I've yet to see any that is good and even fewer that will work with server software.

Really the biggest stumbling block in all of it is your pipe between the two locations. That could kill the deal entirely if you can't realistically move the data back and forth.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    kryyst's suggestion of using rsync to check sync changes is a good one (depending on the data). http://www.gaztronics.net/rsync.php has a recently made guide for using rsync to backup to linux or windows servers (and the setup instructions for running a rysnc server under windows). After the big initial mirror, that will help keep your bandwidth low between sites.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    Though I'd be inclined to use rsync on my own in my own environment, I won't be fully supporting this after deployment. It will be up to the local admin to manage it, and I don't know if I trust the local IT staff. I'm not sure it could provide proper notifications if a failure occurs either.

I did do a little more reading after posting, and it looks like even if I have a NAS, I'll probably need some sort of server to run some sort of backup application. I'm going to propose either re-purposing some of their current servers as backup servers or purchasing inexpensive new ones.

I found that bang-for-your-buck seems to go to Netgear's ReadyNAS boxes. The 2100 2TB model looks like it would fit perfectly for what I want to do. It supports replication between ReadyNAS devices out of the box, and even offers ReadyNAS vault, a cloud-based backup/storage option.

I figure I'll install Symantec Backup Exec on the Windows servers and the RALUS agent on the ReadyNAS box. Perform backups as normal, and then let the boxes perform the replication.

I definitely agree that the initial sync will take a while over the WAN link (it will be a 3 Mbps pipe between the two sites), so I'm going to have to work out the logistics there. Especially if full backups will be performed weekly. Maybe a continuous data protection option would be viable.

Thanks for your suggestions, guys! If you have anymore to add, I'm all ears!
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2010
    Is that a standard 3mb dsl? Becasue it is remember that means your upload speed (which is what matters in this case) it likely less then 1mb.

I don't know how far your locals are apart but the way I've done a similar setup before is do a hardbackup onto a usb drive and physically take it to the other to start the base level backup. Then replication after the fact.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    No, the connection is through bundled T1 AVPN circuits through AT&T.

That's another nice thing about the ReadyNAS is that it has USB connectivity to allow you to push data to an external drive.