Network access is dropped when transferring files from windows 7 to windows xp

MJOMJO Denmark New
edited October 2010 in Science & Tech
Hi

A friend of mine is trying to get some files from a share on my Windows 7 Ultimate.
But whenever he tries to download the files the network connection just stops.
He receives an error message and on my machine there is no network access.
I cannot access neither the internet og the LAN.
I have to reboot to be able to use the network and internet again.
Cannot figure out why this is happening?

I have an Asus laptop with a Atheros L1 NIC.
I have upgraded the driver because there was a problem with transferring files on a Gigabit lan, the laptop simply froze when doing it.
This is solved in the new driver and there is no problems transferring files between machines running Windows 7.
It is only the XP machine that can trigger the loss of network access.

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2010
    Are these computers local to each other or is this transfer being done over the internet.
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited October 2010
    Ah I forgot to mention.
    The computers are connected in a LAN thru a gigabit switch.
    edited October 2010
    How quickly before the connection drops and what size of files are you trying to transfer?
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited October 2010
    The connection drops almost immediately. Within a few seconds.
    File size was ~ 6 GB in one big ISO file.
  • edited October 2010
    I suggest trying half duplex instead of full duplex in advanced driver settings of the NIC. Since file transfer is in one direction, this setting would not affect the performance anyway, of course if it helps. I had solved similar problems this way before.
    edited October 2010
    You should also be able to set the duplex manually to full and 1gb it's usually the autosense setting that causes the problem as the setting hangs and screws it up.

But I also seem to remember that there was a registry key you could change to help this issue also but now I can't find it. There's an MTU setting but that's internet pretty much only. Gah my google-fu is failing me today.
  • edited October 2010
    kryyst wrote:
    You should also be able to set the duplex manually to full and 1gb it's usually the autosense setting that causes the problem as the setting hangs and screws it up.

But I also seem to remember that there was a registry key you could change to help this issue also but now I can't find it. There's an MTU setting but that's internet pretty much only. Gah my google-fu is failing me today.

I meant to set half duplex if it is Auto or Full. You can do it in the device manager for most drivers and certainly Atheros.
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited October 2010
    Thank you for the advice I will test when I can.
    But I have found out that transfers from the XP machine to my laptop is not a problem.
    I tried transferring ~4 GB mixed material, that worked fine and went fast.
  • edited October 2010
    The problems I had depends on the combination of NIC chipset (and the driver) and the switch used in networking. One example: my XBOX and PS3 are connected to the same switch. XBOX has no problem but I have to set the PS3 manually for half duplex to eliminate frequent disconnections just like you mention. If I use another switch both of them work fine but I need to use the switch on the Buffalo router.