Icrontient rail system management

the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1Indy Icrontian
edited March 2011 in Minecraft
Building a 2-way rail system wastes a lot of rail - it'll rarely be used in both directions simultaneously, if ever. But the track's down now, and I'm not going to tear it all up... :)

A lot of the boosters are kinda screwy, I think Basil fixed a few. Also, there's about 2x as many boosters as you need.

Somebody made a tunnel going through the mountain to the E of spawn. That's cool, but it leaves Eggy and Dragon out of service for an E spur - we'll need to Have a N line to support them now.

I put all the rail I had into the current E tunnel that comes out right next to my house, starting at my place and working back - ran out about halfway.

When I get some spare time and rail, I'll make a station like in that demo world I did at spawn. We'll have a row of switches so people can decide which direction they want to be propelled from spawn (currently W, but soon W or E)

Eventually when you spawn, you'll be able to hit one switch to select S/W or N/E, then a second switch to specify either S or W & N or E. It'll make more sense when it's built.

Comments

• the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    If anyone has spare rail, please extend the E spur to spawn and/or drop some off at the spawn chest and I'll use it to make a station.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I mentioned this stuff in the main thread just briefly, but I'll restate here for the sake of clarity:

There is currently a cobblestone ring around the protected-spawn-zone, which serves several purposes. It marks the border of the non-buldable area (albeit underground for the eastern half of the ring (square)), which is, oddly, about 29 meters on a side (it fluxuates slightly from time to time with no known cause); it will serve as a guide for the eventual flattening of the spawn zone (once we figure out how to do that), and it is a starting point for the road/rail system.

The transportation system is an open project, any contributions to it are welcome, and one should try not to be miffed if their contributions are eventually modified. Consider it a Wikiroad, if you'll allow the phrase. :)

We should try to build the road generally toward civilized areas without building the main section to any specific 'owned' location, and with as much consideration for other's projects as possible (building tunnels and bridges, and so forth). Each person can then build their own access road to their projects from the road, if they like. Road builders should try to have some consideration for these 'driveways', and modify them as little as possible. :) People may also choose to build directly off of the road, if they like, but should endeavor to give the road 5 meters of airspace. :cool:
    edited December 2010
    sure - and to be clear, the eastern spur goes right to my doorstep, but I didn't build it. :)

I actually prefer rail lines over land anyway - more scenic
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    The Eastern Spur I figured would hit daylight before it did. I thought I was near my place when I dug out, turned out way overshot it, but the road goes straight out from spawn so the little shoot off out of the mountain to TT's place fits the bill already. I even spent a night in your mine TT because I went outside to get my baring, night came and then I couldn't find the opening. That poor mountain is going to get raped.

Anyways, we need to raise the roof to 5 meters and then lay track (if you haven't already, I haven't been on Eastern Road for 48 hours or so)

-Digi
    edited December 2010
    I tore up the track I put down in the 1x2 exploratory tunnel and used it to:

1. Build a Grand Central station just N of the junction of the West Loop and South Line
    2. Extend rail almost all the way to icronticville, but ran out of track

Grand Central is sully up and operational with 2 lines. Simply sit in one of the minecards designated 'West Loop' or 'South Spur' and the system will automatically come and launch you down that track.

To Do:

- build platforms for a North and East line
    - Work on the West Loop return, the carts don't reset yet
    - Once everything's all set, cover most of the area with a nice-looking platform to make it look like a real train station, and to keep people/animals/mobs from waltzing through the mechanisms of the station's systems, which break them.
    edited December 2010
    Big thanks to everyone who donated track and redstone. 2 more platforms coming soon.

If you have rail/iron to spare, please let me know and/or use it to bring the rest of the South Loop into existence.
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I'll log in tonight and drop some Iron/Redstone off for the project. How much do you guys need?
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    If you have rail/iron to spare, please let me know and/or use it to bring the rest of the South Loop into existence.
    I'm extending the icronticville line, will make a simple station.
    edited December 2010
    Basil wrote:
    I'm extending the icronticville line, will make a simple station.

For the end of the lines, I was going to make a duplicate of that example world I uploaded back in the day, with single arrival/departure gates, 1 each.
    edited December 2010
    pragtastic wrote:
    I'll log in tonight and drop some Iron/Redstone off for the project. How much do you guys need?

Well you can dump whatever you want in a chest by the furnace at the station if you like. Eventually the S line needs to be finished, all the returns, the 2 new platforms and an E and N line... so, however much you want to donate, I'm assuming it'll get used.
    edited December 2010
    For the end of the lines, I was going to make a duplicate of that example world I uploaded back in the day, with single arrival/departure gates, 1 each.

the idea behind this is that the current loops don't allow you to exit the railway without losing the minecart... unless that's what we want?
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Just of note, feel free to take out the fountain behind my plot if space is needed for the Town train station. It was a natural spring that we left while setting up the plots but it's starting to be in the way.

I would like to eventually put a rail from my place (east of town) to the town so we will probably need a sizable station there at the entrance to town.

-Digi
    edited December 2010
    My place is E of spawn, just N of yours. Dragon is (i think) just N of me, and Eggy is NW of that. So there's a good case for a Eastern line.

My focus so far has been on incorporating the station into the existing lines, establishing a S line to icrontictown (with icrontictown stop), and making the station's existence fluid and easy to use with all lines.

As soon as the station is working 100% (the cart returns aren't made yet) I'll make the icrontictown stop, then look into the E line if no-one else has worked on it.

The only thing I can't decide is if Eggy should be the start of the N line, or if he's close enough to run the E line out to.
    edited December 2010
    Also, I like how well the tunnels have been constructed going East, but do we want a lot of underground travel distance? The thing I love most about the current W and S lines is the sightseeing while you're in transit.

Opinions?
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I added a form of "return" to both S and W lines last night, needs some polish to make it as smooth as your test world.
    Not sure I understand how to make a mechanism to queue a cart, then bring another one at the ready, but that is what reading is for :D.

East line is going to be a lot underground right now, but what if we go south for enough distance to put us at sea level, then turn east and cut just under where Drasnor's "bridge" over the water to the spaceship is. Then continue East to the tree house then maybe north up over the mountain to dragon/eggy and then around back near my place?
    edited December 2010
    We could make a N/E loop.

Yeah, basically grand central only needs a single 'arrivals' gate. I guess we need to decide of the minecarts on the system are meant to be reused, or if we should just have a bunch of them, and people need to keep a minecart on them all the time to re-use
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I like the idea of a BYOMC (Bring Your Own MineCart) system. If everyone contributes at first and then keeps one in reserve, then there's no danger of being stuck without one.
    edited December 2010
    I'm thinking the same - and leave the chest for 'Have a cart, leave a cart - need a cart, take a cart'
    edited December 2010
    I like that idea, Minecarts cost 5 iron, pretty easy for everyone to have one.

I would like to thank Prag for donating 320 iron to the cause, it made most of the loop to ICtown (and we still have some left).

Looks like we may need to build another layer near central station for the N and E spurs or just use more of the road we have. With 5 wide, there can be 5 sets of tracks in some places to save space.

Oh, I also secured the West and South spurs from getting animals on the tracks as best I could. I know it makes an ugly wall from the outside, but the livestock can't jump up on/over. I could probably be lowered 1 in some places. I topped it with stone to keep spawn from actually happening at the top of the wall (which is also why Central is topped in stone, those bastards had it all mucked up last night, I was like, WTF?).
    edited December 2010
    HA

yeah, the animals/mobs make the "engine" in the back stop when the carts hit them. The only reason those carts are storage carts is so they don't pick up creepers, which is a bear to fix... :)
    edited December 2010
    Icrontictown has a rail station that will take you back to central. Instructions are on the signs. There is a chest at each station with about 7 minecarts in each chest. Each end of the spur has a stop, you don't have to jump out of the cart, you will just stop when you reach the destination.

I am somewhat unhappy with the station at ICtown, my walkways turned out "crooked" because I was off by 1 block when I put down the outbound switch pad.
    I wanted to create walkways for those that don't take the rail and were walking the road/tracks. When they get to the station, they don't have to walk on the rails, but to be honest, it's ugly. If anyone wants to redesign, they are welcome to.
    I think the "engine" is in pretty compact form, only 1 switch needed here. Like I said, if you have a better idea in your head, go for it :).
    edited December 2010
    Ok, so I re-built the station in front of ICtown, better, needs more work on the 2nd level. I think it flows better for getting from the gates to getting on a train.
    edited December 2010
    Tried to build a station at the end of the West Line, but got blown up 3x by creepers. I ragequit and started building the East Line, as well as redid a lot of grand central station. The original design didn't leave a lot of room for 2 more departure platforms, and there was no reason to have separate arrival gates for each line, they can all use one arrival platform. So, started work on killing 2 birds with one stone - make a single arrivals platform, and cleared away room / repaired some broken stuff to make foom for an Eastern and Northern Line departures platform.
    edited December 2010
    Icrontic Mountain station up and running great

West Line and South Line returns at Grand Central working

Icrontrak apologizes for the delay in service
    edited December 2010
    East Line departures platform completed. East line outbound rail extended a few hundred meters
    edited December 2010
    East line extended all the way to my place, but ran out of rail just after it came above ground

no boosters on east line yet, it needs it

east line needs a lot of tunnel work

extending east line to run through the valley east of my place would be ab awesome destination - lots of geography out there.

completely out of rail and iron, but got a ton done today
    edited December 2010
    Redstone circuits can only travel 15 blocks without a booster. The ICtown pressure switch was 16 blocks to the inverter, thus, it would not function.
    I moved the inverter, 1 block back and so it works, but that broke the new East line switch system.
    Because of placement, enabling the East switch will require rework of the west switch. If you go down where the inverter is, you will see what I mean.

There are 192 new pieces of track in the chest at Grand Central. Someone donated 65 iron ore, so I made it into track.

That does it for me tonight :)

Thanks T_T.
    edited December 2010
    nice!

yeah, I'm going to have to work on that inverter. The distance is just a little too long, and it's harder than you think to get all three departure platforms to work without shorting each other out.

I'll check it out tonight if I can.
    edited December 2010
    I worked for about 45 min to try and get all 3 platforms working, to no avail. 2 of them are at this point.

In the process, I discovered many, many ways to make the station as a whole a lot more efficient, but it requires a lot of work. Need to happen though if there's ever going to be a North Line platform.

When i have a few hours, I'll remake the station a little better, in the meantime it might be a little wonky.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I've begun replacing some of the mob-walls with some which allow a more scenic ride, but are more resource intensive. If anyone wants to help, I'm running low on fences. :)