Windows Domain Client Lost DNS entry??

phuschnickensphuschnickens Beverly Hills, Michigan Member
edited December 2010 in Science & Tech
I have a small network of about 10 windows xp clients with a Win2003 domain controller running DNS and DHCP. One of the clients lost the DNS entry for the server this morning. I was more focused on fixing the problem than gathering evidence so I didn't check for any other local DNS entries. I did, however, check for a google DNS entry and it was valid. Apparently the computer was left on and logged in over night.

I immediately just ipconfig /flushdns and problem solved but what might have been the problem and what can I do so it doesn't happen again? Lower DNS cache flush rate?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2010
    One possibility, your DHCP lease ran out on the computer and it didn't obtain a new lease properly.

Preventing it hard to say, specially if it only happened once. Did you look through the windows event logs to see if they shed any light?
  • phuschnickensphuschnickens Beverly Hills, Michigan Member
    edited December 2010
    kryyst wrote:
    DHCP lease ran out on the computer and it didn't obtain a new lease properly.

Interesting. I just assumed it was similar, but the TTL ran out on the client pc's DNS entry for the server and when the client made it's first request for the server dns it failed to receive any info whatsoever for that entry.

Haven't checked event logs yet... there is currently a user on the computer.

Thanks for the info. I'll check the logs asap.