Another complaint thread. Why can't I register my retail copies on Steam?!?!

Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
edited December 2010 in Gaming
Sorry Icrontic, I know I have been known to vent, gripe, bitch, piss, moan, amongst other things. I just need to vent this most recent frustration.

See, Steam is having a sale, this is awesome. Sometimes, when they have sales, I contemplate doing foolish things like re purchasing games I already own so I can integrate them into my Steam Account. Crysis and Crysis Warhead are on sale today for $9.99, a great deal for certain, but, I already own retail copies of these titles. I suppose $9.99 is a small price to pay for my dream of one day fully integrating all my PC titles into Steam, but as a man of principle, it really aggravates me that I have to pay for this privilege.

So good ladies and gentlemen of Icrontic gaming, who is at fault here? Do I complain to EA, or do I complain to Valve, who is blocking my retail copy from registration to my favorite online service? Also, who is with me on this? Anybody else find this as aggravating as I do?

Comments

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Open Steam -> Games -> Add a Non Steam Game to My Library?

-Digi
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Do what?

Just add non-steam game to your library list... or am I missing the complaint?
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    fatcat wrote:
    Do what?

Just add non-steam game to your library list... or am I missing the complaint?

I want all the Steam community features, auto updates, and the ability to play on multiple computers just by accessing my Steam account.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    There's no value in that for Valve... They have to invest time and money into infrastructure and services for something you already paid for through someone else?
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    There's no value in that for Valve... They have to invest time and money into infrastructure and services for something you already paid for through someone else?

So, in a round about way, we are saying, this is kind of Valve's doing. Maybe not fault, but we think they essentially need their agreed upon share up front? Makes sense.

I'd pay a reasonable registration fee, hell, I'd pay a reasonable subscription fee to use Steam and be able to register anything I wanted. Occasionally I see these killer deals in my local Five Below. If I don't see a logo on the back that it requires a registration to Steam, I usually walk away from it. I just hate all the other tools for managing games. Games for Windows Live is awful, the EA download manager is deplorable, Direct2Drive offers nothing worthwhile, and retail disks that you can't register to Steam are especially worthless. If I had a direct line to Valve, the first thing I would say to them is God Bless you for Steam, the second thing I would say is you all are missing a huge opportunity by not making it easy for gamers to transition entire library's to your platform. Anyone have Gabe Newell's email address?
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    They do it for some publishers, and not others. Which means they probably charge those publishers a fee for the privilege. Many publishers likely don't see the value. Whose fault is that? no one's, I think.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Isn't $10 a reasonable registration fee? :p
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Isn't $10 a reasonable registration fee? :p

^this. Look at this as $10 to have access to the Steam benefits for this title.

Steam doesn't own Crysis. They are simply a channel to buy it. If you haven't given them any money for that title what is their incentive to give you access to the perks of someone who did buy it through them?