Inventory monitor?

BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats !TX Icrontian
edited January 2011 in Minecraft
I hate hearing shit like rails and minecarts disappearing from chests around the map. There have been other reports of things missing also.

Is there currently in place or is it possible to have a log of this sort of activity so that when something turns up missing we can figure out who the thief is and take them off the white list?

Items in a chest represent time spent to mine (grow, chop, harvest) and should be common sense (which I like to believe everyone that has been vouched for on our server has) to ask for permission to take things or at least leave a note that they will be paid back.

Creepers goin' Creep, we just need to sword (AKA: Diamond Ban Hammer) these bitches when they do.

-Digi

PS. In B4 "He Mad", Yes, I get Pissed when people steal shit.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    There are mods that do things along these lines. ;)
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    This is a mod I would be 100% for. Not to lock chests as I think that is a bit intrusive (and we have players that share chests or have public chests), but to log when a player acquires something so that if it is reported that 10 diamonds were stolen between so and so time from a chest we can see that player X gained 10 diamonds to their personal inventory and we know who took the diamonds and can take proper action. Maybe a warning for first strike and banninate if they steal again.

I tried to search for this sort of mod but all I kept finding were inventory editors.

-Digi
    edited January 2011
    Protected chests: http://forum.hey0.net/showthread.php?tid=1190
    Create public/passworded/private chests: http://forum.hey0.net/showthread.php?tid=837
    Create access control lists for chests: http://forum.hey0.net/showthread.php?tid=670
    Better server logging: http://forum.hey0.net/showthread.php?tid=1254 (not sure if this monitors chests)
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41474
    This suggests there is no way to do chest logging currently. I'll look into various means of protecting chests once I take over the server (if no one does before then)
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    Not to lock chests as I think that is a bit intrusive (and we have players that share chests or have public chests), but to log when a player acquires something so that if it is reported that 10 diamonds were stolen between so and so time from a chest we can see that player X gained 10 diamonds to their personal inventory and we know who took the diamonds and can take proper action. Maybe a warning for first strike and banninate if they steal again.

I tried to search for this sort of mod but all I kept finding were inventory editors.

-Digi

Just do a password-ed chest anyway. Want to make it public? Put the password on a sign above it.

So what happens when someone just destroys the chest?

edit: just saw the adminium plugin. kludgy, but cool.
    edited January 2011
    {Shiver} Talk about intrusive, I would hate to have to enter a password every time I go into one of my chests. I'm pretty sure the chest itself is protected by the mod as it notes that TNT and creepers can not blow up the chests.
    Thrax wrote:
    Create public/passworded/private chests: http://forum.hey0.net/showthread.php?tid=837

Though I hate the idea that we would need this [evil stare at whoever is taking things] this one sounds like the least intrusive.

As Democracy has seemed to serve us well in other decisions on the server, I will create a poll to see if others agree with this implementation.

-Digi
    edited January 2011
    I don't like how it looks, but my favorite would be
    Thrax wrote:
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Limited to a single-wide chest, could possibly "protect" other people's chests, replaces its surroundings with ugly...?
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, my only concern is people making Adminium "roadblocks" for the lulz... but it puts their name on it, so...?
    edited January 2011
    I really don't like that one. I don't see the need for it as the other mod doesn't surround them with ugly and doesn't allow people to dick with them.

-Digi
    edited January 2011
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited January 2011
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I don't think that stealing is such a big issue that we need a mod to protect us from it.
    edited January 2011
    Clearly it is for some people, or they wouldn't complain and/or be concerned about it enough to make a post and actively discuss remedies.
    edited January 2011
    I understand that. My post was my way of expressing that I believe it to be an over reaction.

We've had two minor theft incidents, and only from rather public chests which are part of public projects.

I'm not concerned.
  • TonyRockyHorrorTonyRockyHorror Alexandria, VA
    edited January 2011
    CB wrote:
    I understand that. My post was my way of expressing that I believe it to be an over reaction.

We've had two minor theft incidents, and only from rather public chests which are part of public projects.

I'm not concerned.

It's fine when the whitelist has 20 or so people on it. It's another when that triples. I'm all for getting racing ahead of that curve instead of chasing after it.
    edited January 2011
    It's fine when the whitelist has 20 or so people on it. It's another when that triples. I'm all for getting racing ahead of that curve instead of chasing after it.

If our worry truly is security, then the solution is to cap the whitelist.