Dr. Frankenchoke Rides Again (Minecraft Server Construction Thread)

ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
edited January 2011 in Minecraft
Since I'm a huge dork, I figured I'd post up some nerd pr0n of the construction of the new server which will be housing (among other things) the Minecraft server. The parts just got delivered to my work today. Just unboxed them moments ago. The chassis is still in it's box and won't be mucked with until after my shift is over.

Comments

• MalpercioMalpercio Greater St. Louis Area
    edited January 2011
    Awwright. I love construction threads.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    :kneel:

All Hale The Keeper Of Our Digital World!
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Okay... so... some of my coworkers got antsy and insisted I unbox the case. Also, the motherboard and CPU got installed while I was waiting for some data to move around. This is where it stands currently.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    nom nom nom
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    So this is like creating the matrix right?
    edited January 2011
    The patient having all its bits and bobbles wired up.
    edited January 2011
    Closing the patient up... IT'S ALIVE!!!!!
    edited January 2011
    Okay, now for the less picturey part of the install. I've got Debian Lenny up and running. Box is still on the workbench at this point (thus unreachable from the outside world). Going to get the network configured and rack it tonight. Then it will be on to installing and configuring the Minecraft server. I'll need to coordinate the world transfer with Ryder also (if someone could direct him to this thread it would be appreciated).
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    What, who, where?
    edited January 2011
    The new server is up and running. I just racked it. Just waiting on the network team to set up the switch (should only take a few minutes). I even have minecraft with hey0 running. If you could provide me with a dump of the Icrontic world, I can do a test import and make sure things are working properly. Then we can work out a time to stop the server on your hardware, do a final transfer, and bring everything up on my end.

Oh, and once I get a test-transfer up and running, I'll post the address and whatnot here so that people can log in and stress test the new server.
    edited January 2011
    You want the full with the whitelist and all, so I will have to upload one. 15 minutes.
    edited January 2011
    Take your time... it appears that there is a gap in coverage for our network team which means the server won't be ready fully until someone gets in. This is quite annoying as there are not supposed to be any gaps in coverage anymore.

EDIT: I was wrong, the coverage was just away from their desk poking something with a stick.
    edited January 2011
    hokay.... Got the server up and running. Address is minecraft.ardichoke.info

Please to be helping stress test it people?

Feel free to rape, pillage and plunder for the time being. Once it's confirmed that everything is working as it should I'll ask Ryder to give me a final backup and we will make a final cut over to the new hardware
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm
    is on the server.

Little slow, but that might be because it's Java on the laptop. I'll try it upstairs in a bit.
    Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    is on the server.

Little slow, but that might be because it's Java on the laptop. I'll try it upstairs in a bit.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Disregard last, works much better from a better machine. Well done, all seems good to me. I spent my time learning on the job by examining and fixing the rail stations - Grand Central, IC Mountain, and IC Town all have working stations again. :)
    edited January 2011
    Okay, had a few people pop in and confirm the new server was working well for them. I'd like to get a full stress test together though. I'd like to get a full 20 people on the server if possible. This will need to be organized in short order though as the final migration needs to happen before Ryder leaves town. I was thinking tomorrow night around 10pm EST? If we could just get a full server for a little bit, long enough to know if there are any performance issues to work out (I don't expect there to be any).
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I can be there
    edited January 2011
    And my Axe!

-Digi
    edited January 2011
    And my bow.
    edited January 2011
    And my ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Quiet, this is creeper country
    edited January 2011
    Also, would everyone be okay with making this a "Burn The World Down" party? I mean... since I'll be restoring a fresh backup anyway we might as well blow the whole temporary world on my server up, amirite?
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Only if we can use TNT as well! :D
    edited January 2011
    Since the world is going away, it doesn't bother me what is used to burn it down.

Just to be clear... this is on minecraft.ardichoke.info ONLY and ONLY before I import the latest copy of the world. Burning the world down on Ryder's server will be met with stern consternation and possibly a removal from the whitelist.
    edited January 2011
    Lol @ your "let me be clear" to be in before the rage
    edited January 2011
    While I think TNT will be awesome to have a blow up party, too much at once will crash the server therefore negating the purpose of the test. When the test is over (full server of minors / builders), TNT away.

-Digi
    edited January 2011
    That's a good point Bobby, also one I wasn't aware of. So a bit of normal activity.... then lighting everything on fire once I'm satisfied everything is solid.
    edited January 2011
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    full server of minors / builders
    Careful; with statements like that, Pedobear will show up.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I'm in, just give me the TNT and I make big boom.
  • TonyRockyHorrorTonyRockyHorror Alexandria, VA
    edited January 2011
    I'm in as well!