Windows7 & Server2008 R2 Service Pack1 is available!

MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
edited March 2011 in Science & Tech
Just got the notification. Geniune Validation is of course required :)

Link to all versions is here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=c3202ce6-4056-4059-8a1b-3a9b77cdfdda

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Everyone wants to download windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe (for 64-bit) or windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe (for 32-bit).
  • liquienceliquience Ann Arbor / Detroit
    edited February 2011
    I'm not positive if this is the right place to post this, but is anyone else having trouble with putting their system to sleep after installing SP1 (Win7 x64, specifically)? I'd had no problems with sleeping before this, but now, when I try to put my system to sleep it acts as though it's doing it normally, and then the system turns off. Booting it up gives the "your system did not shut down cleanly" prompt, so something is causing it to crash. The event viewer only has this entry:

The previous system shutdown at 10:12:16 PM on ‎2/‎22/‎2011 was unexpected.

followed by

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Nothing seems amiss in my powercfg energy report... I've updated all my drivers... Anything else I'm missing?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    I'll give it a shot in a few and let you know what happens to mine.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Naim, are you running an SSD as your system drive?
    edited February 2011
    Thanks guys.

Not running an SSD; just a standard SATA3 drive. I have an Asus P7P55D-E LX mainboard, and an i5-760 if that helps at all too.

The system has been rock-solid (and still is, except for this crash when trying to sleep). I'm trying to dig in a bit and see if I can trace what exactly is causing the problem, but these near-shutdown/sleep/hibernate issues are always tricky to pin down..
    edited February 2011
    It's the damnedest thing, but it really does look the the computer actually DOES go to sleep, and then immediately crashes. The power LED just barely begins to pulse, then cuts out. Oddly though, everything else is working perfectly.

I would have rolled back to a restore point before SP1 at this point, but somehow they're all gone. Protection was still on for my system drive, but all the restore points were gone and the disk space usage for restore points was set at 0, instead of at 3%, where I'd left it. :( Ffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu... Not liking SP1 so far.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Sorry man, I just did several tests; sleep mode works fine for me. :(
    edited February 2011
    That's cool, thanks for checking. I guess I should be grateful it isn't more borked... Maybe some other people will come out of the woodwork with this issue and MS will respond. Maybe.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Are your video card drivers up to date? Most common cause of sleep/hibernate problems (in my experience) are buggy video card drivers. For a while, my desktop was BSODing every time it tried to put my monitors to sleep... then I updated the drivers for my Radeon 5770 and the problem went away.
    edited February 2011
    Indeed.. That was the first thing I tried. Maybe a new version will come out soon now that SP1 is available.

I should mention, I tried to run the driver verifier to see if there was something corrupt... Yeah, never do that. It forced my system into a blue screen reboot loop; absolute pain in the ass to fix, but I did. Apparently I'm not the only one who has had that particular issue though, so I mention it here for other people's benefit.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Am I correct in saying that no NEW features has been added, it's just past updates? And if this is the case, do i really NEED SP1, seeing that I have all the Windows updates i deem necessary?
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    I believe that to be true Jokke, just a roll up of all the updates until now.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2011
    They did tweak a couple things out for HDMI audio playback and a few minor other things. But your correct in thinking there's nothing significant added to it. It's primarily just a service pack consolidation.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    To confirm that the SP, type WINVER from the run box. You should see Build 7601: Service Pack 1.
  • edited March 2011
    Naim wrote:
    Thanks guys.

Not running an SSD; just a standard SATA3 drive. I have an Asus P7P55D-E LX mainboard, and an i5-760 if that helps at all too.

The system has been rock-solid (and still is, except for this crash when trying to sleep). I'm trying to dig in a bit and see if I can trace what exactly is causing the problem, but these near-shutdown/sleep/hibernate issues are always tricky to pin down..

I have the same mother board and the same thing happened to me after I loaded SP1. I have not found a solution for it yet.
    edited March 2011
    I have the same mother board and the same thing happened to me after I loaded SP1. I have not found a solution for it yet.

I've been going back and forth with MS support now since I posted this. Still no solution. The support person indicated that it was some conflict with the chipset drivers. We're trying to find a work around. I'll let him know that the motherboard does seem to be a factor. Oh, and uninstalling SP1 does make the problem go away.

Thanks for replying though, now I know I'm not alone.