CRT's are for suckas

CantiCanti =/= smalltimehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
edited March 2011 in Hardware
So I finally decided to get a monitor that isn't as big as a microwave oven. Hell, microwaves might actually be smaller. Problem is, If I don't know crap about LCD monitors, I don't know CRAP about LCD monitors. I'm wondering what kind of things I should take into consideration other than price and size. I'm looking at getting a 20-22 inch screen between $150-$200. Any suggestions?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2011
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, Samsung is awesome. I've had my 245b for about 2 and a half years now and have had 0 problems.

One suggestion for whatever you decide on is get a matte finish screen, not glossy.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2011
    Holy. I completely forgot that people still have CRT monitors. You'll never go back. I say that because once you've used an LCD you'll find it physically painful to work on a CRT after that.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    I third the Samsung promotion. I've had mine since college and I love it.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    I have a couple of Samsung monitors in my home as well. I'm pleased with them too. Worth the small premium (and I mean very small, maybe an extra $10 bill vs an off brand). The build quality is good on both models I own, and the newer one really has a decent contrast for an LCD. My only complaint is that it could stand to scale non native resolutions a little better than it does, but I rarely have a need to switch from 1920X1080.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    I have to get me one of those. REALLY.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, I have a Samsung T220. Great monitor, but one thing bugs me: the screen itself is quite deep, so i can see it reflect from the quite glossy frame around the screen, if you know what I mean. No big deal anymore, I hardly see it, but it was really annoying the first two weeks or so.
  • allenpanallenpan ThunderBay, Ontario, CAnada Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    i so want to get a new monitor, i am still using 17"+18"+19"+17" quad setup, i could use 2x 22" instead... :p but low funding at moment, now i just need to wait for someone break them and i can fix them
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    I also recommend Samsung. I am using a T260HD and absolutely love it.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    I'm a HUGE fan of HP's displays, specifically the HP ZR series.

I have two HP ZR24Ws at work. They are absolutely wonderful. Telescoping base, decently thin bezels, great color, awesome menu options.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Jokke wrote:
    Yeah, I have a Samsung T220. Great monitor, but one thing bugs me: the screen itself is quite deep, so i can see it reflect from the quite glossy frame around the screen, if you know what I mean. No big deal anymore, I hardly see it, but it was really annoying the first two weeks or so.
    Really thin electrical tape or extremely careful paint application, methinks.

I also like samsung monitors/TVs, but have also had a nice experience with Asus and Acer monitors. I'd rec Samsung above those though.
    edited March 2011
    Oh, you might also like the Dell U2311H. I don't know its price, but it's a fantastic display, too.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Options to think about: there are different 'types' of panels: IPS, VA, and TN. TN is not only the most prevalent but also the cheapest. Variations of the IPS and VA screens exist, but you're not likely to find them in brick and mortars to stare at for comparison, unfortunately. AFAIK, most aren't within your price range either, but you might want to look. Color reproduction is better on IPS/VA vs. TN, and viewing angles are better (which is easily the first thing you'll notice going from CRT to LCD).

That said, most people can't tell the difference and just get TN panels. Thrax linked a VA panel on sale, I'd jump on that. I'll throw another in the hat for both HP and Samsung. I own a T240, T240HD, and w2207h and love all three. Tilt/Swivel is pretty fun to play with with reading webpages, but don't bother if you get a TN panel since the viewing angle is all wrong - half the screen will be dark.

Someone up above said to stay away from glossy panels, figured I'd counter that and say take a look at them and see for yourself. Situations are different, if you have a bright room I wouldn't do it since they have a mirrorlike finish, but the colors on my w2207h (glossy) absolutely pop when I play games/watch movies/etc. on it... not to mention blacks are truer.
    edited March 2011
    The panel I linked is C-PVA, while the Dell U2311H is IPS.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    I went with the Samsung F2380. It's a bit more expensive that I was going for but sounds totally worth it. Thanks for all the advice.
  • ins4n17yins4n17y Cabanatuan City, Philippines Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    dot pitch, resolutions, refresh rates and power consumption.

in that order

dot pitch is one of the important factors of looking into when purchasing a crt. dot pitch is how close the individual phosphors are on the glass screen and gives you the best picture quality. .28 and below is standard, anything .25 is top of the line. the lower the better.

unlike lcds, crts can operate under a wide range of resolutions. you should check to make sure they at least support 1280x1024 for optimal modern viewing experiences.

refresh rates are another thing you should look into. 75 hz or higher should be the absolute minimum. (some displays go 1280x1024 @ 60hz and they are a PAIN to look at) ideally, 85hz is the best or higher if you plan to go crt. at the bare minimum look for a screen that can do 1280x1024 @ 75-85hz or higher.

power consumption. crts use alot more juice than lcds. check the power consumption to be as low as possible.
    edited March 2011
    Methinks he missed the point.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Woosh
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Acer S231HLbid Black 23" 5ms HDMI LED-Backlight LCD monitor Slim Design 250 cd/m2 ACM 12,000,000:1 (1000:1) from Newegg. Used Icrontic's affiliate link. It is REALLY thin and great picture. I got it for $149 with free shipping.
    edited March 2011
    No offense intended, Q, but the F2380 has an wildly superior panel.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    I saw the $300+ price... not the sale cost. At that price, yeah, it's a better monitor.
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    I've been trying to investigate the DoubleSight single LCD offerings. These are VASTLY superior panels to the Dell stuff - DS is using the newest LG S-IPS stuff. (And Dell is known to change from IPS to TN in-flight, among other things.) They're also cheaper.

But yeah. $500 for the 25" 1920x1200. But: 1920x1200!! *drool*
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Dell UltraSharp U2311H

hmm, these are pretty damn nice, and have the displayport option

6970 crossfire with three of these please kthx
    edited March 2011
    fatcat wrote:
    Dell UltraSharp U2311H

hmm, these are pretty damn nice, and have the displayport option

6950 softmod to 6970 crossfire with three of these please kthx
    fix't
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    lol, I have it on good authority that the reference 6950 and 6970 were all 6970's. I just took off the chasity belt
    edited March 2011
    Seems typical of the industry, iirc
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    I lol'd at "12,000,000:1 (1000:1)" contrast ratio on Q's link. INFINITY TO ONE (1000:1 dynamic)

Fucking marketing speak.
    edited March 2011
    Ohai guys, here we designed our own test on dynamic contrast ratios that means we pretty much make up whatever the fuck we feel like to tell you for epenis purposes. Actual values listed in small brackets and print to the side there. It makes sense if you don't think about it.
  • QuadWhoreQuadWhore Toledo, Ohio, U.S. Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Tushon wrote:
    Ohai guys, here we designed our own test on dynamic contrast ratios that means we pretty much make up whatever the fuck we feel like to tell you for epenis purposes. Actual values listed in small brackets and print to the side there. It makes sense if you don't think about it.

Ohai there. My company designed the first monitor with a
    1,337,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000:1 Ratio

(100:1)