Discouraged

BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats !TX Icrontian
edited March 2011 in Minecraft
I was in a good mood. Playin some Mincraft, out in my mine that is 1000s of meters from spawn. Packed up my treasures and started the trek home. Going to stop by my nature preserve on the way and take some screenshots for the brag threads.

Back near the beginning of the server reset I had gone out exploring and I had fenced off a small area (maybe 20 x20?) where I had found a beautiful natural placement of Pumpkins around a pond with red flowers growing, including naturally floating pumpkins. I set a sign in front of it stating it was Digi's nature preserve and please do not disturb.

As I come up to it just now I noticed a stack of wood instead of one of the fence posts. "No biggie" I thought, someone had taken down the fence or got creepered and did their best to patch it.... then I noticed. All the Pumpkins had been taken. The beauty was ruined. :grumble:

I'm rather discouraged right now. To whomever stole the pumpkins you could have simply asked. I would have been happy to give you 10+ Pumpkins for your project.

I can't help but think that it shouldn't be this way. Why would someone do this? There is such a small amount of people on our server, now I have a bad taste in my mouth. I may just be done and play single player.

-Digi

Comments

• SuperStrifeSuperStrife Florida
    edited March 2011
    Wow digi, i'm sorry to hear that. I agree there really isnt any reason to steal/take blocks from someones creation or even just an area they have built up.
    I have a few pumpkins I could donate, but I understand at this point, its more the action than the pumpkins :(
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Yea, I've got 4 or 5 pumpkins if you need em, PLEASE DON'T STOP PLAYING, WE WUV U!
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    wkr7dd.jpg
    :(

So from what I understand someone can restore the chunk that this is on? Maybe just that area? Do you need coords?

-Digi
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    I can look into it, but I'm not aware of any way to restore just that spot without a plugin having been installed (like Big Brother) beforehand.
    edited March 2011
    Error Null Turnip mentioned that it was possible in the Town: griefed thread. Something to the effect of grabbing the data from an old save to replace in the new save.

-Digi
    edited March 2011
    Ah right.... so he did... do you know when it happened? I'm only retaining 10 days of backups at this point.
    edited March 2011
    I was out there last week and I don't remember seeing anything odd. I can only ask that a copy of the oldest backup be saved for me. Actually maybe Tony still has the map from when he rendered the Google Map last. I'll try to get a hold of him.

Thanks,

-Digi
    edited March 2011
    I set aside a copy of the 3/7/11 backup if needed.
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    Error Null Turnip mentioned that it was possible in the Town: griefed thread. Something to the effect of grabbing the data from an old save to replace in the new save.

Yes, it's possible. The biggest challenge would be moving the map around. The optimal time to fix it would be during the map backup at noon. I could probably do the swap sometime, but this seems like an easy enough fix for an admin to spawn some blocks where the pumpkins were.
  • QuadWhoreQuadWhore Toledo, Ohio, U.S. Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    I'm sorry for the destruction of this beautiful landmark you speak of.

I didn't mean to ruin it, I thought the pumpkins were free.

Jk. I don't play minecraft :)
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    I am pretty much done with our world too. I came home to my house in town and all of my iron has now been stolen. I set all of my storage boxes on blocks of iron and had many more blocks of iron in my storage. I also had blocks of gold in my storage. My diamond was already previously stolen. I don't have a time frame unfortunately, because we have been away from town working on an underwater water park. I guess it is so disappointing because i spent real hours of my life mining those resources, only to have them taken from my house in town. *sigh*
    edited March 2011
    I've had enough of this. I'm installing the Big Brother plugin this weekend.

Also, anyone with boxes that they want kept secure should be using LWC to secure them. Bobby and I confirmed last night that LWC is working properly. If you don't want people taking your stuff, then lock your chests.
    edited March 2011
    I agree with these implementations. Lock your stuff up and it can not be taken. Anything else that gets taken, we will know via the big brother plugin and take appropriate actions.

Ardi, does LWC log unauthorized access attempts? What does the log look like after all that we did last night on the test server?

-Digi
    edited March 2011
    Nope, LWC doesn't log attempts to open protected chests (in the server log anyway)...

NetherGate, however, logs a lot of stuff. It's kind of amusing actually.
    edited March 2011
    Went to go check on my great hall and found lava flowing down all the stairs. I guess someone thought it would be fun to punch out the glass. I too am saddened by the griefing going on.
    edited March 2011
    I was wondering about that, I died once or twice when I was clearing out that section because I accidentally lit myself on fire while exiting.
    edited March 2011
    BigBrother has been installed, it's set to keep track of changes for a 5 day timeframe at this point (I'll extend that if possible based on disk usage). If people have any further griefer problems, let me know ASAP and I can use the plugin to check them out, as can snarkasm and CB.

@Snark & CB: You guys will probably want to familiarize yourself with the bb commands. Might also want to bookmark these links.
    https://github.com/tkelly910/BigBrother/wiki/Commands
    http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/sec-bigbrother-1-7-1-a-complete-griefer-logging-rollback-package-531.166/
    edited March 2011
    Just got this in game chat:
    wrote:
    [BBROTHER]: CONNECTION FAILURE. Please tell the ops to fix the connection and restart BigBrother.
  • QuadWhoreQuadWhore Toledo, Ohio, U.S. Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    He's watching all of you. ALL OF YOU!
    edited March 2011
    that probably happened because MariaDB was being updated. Should be fine now.
    edited March 2011
    I find this funny because my comp's wallpaper is an INGSOC banner.