The Nether in SMP

BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats !TX Icrontian
edited March 2011 in Minecraft
from Rail System Thread:
...Although at some point it would be awesome to have notch stop updating the game with random things like beds and to finally put the netherworld in multiplayer ....
BobbyDigi wrote:
The Nether is already available in SMP, the problem is that everyone on a server has to be in one world. So you can have the normal world server or you can have the Nether. Mojang is working on Nether portals connecting servers so that you can have a Regular world server and a Nether world server that the nether gates teleport you between servers.

And I am all for continuing to add to the game before he goes into fixing everything and making final release mode.

-Digi
ardichoke wrote:
Also, there are plugins that allow you to do Regular/Nether world like it is in single player on a multi-player server. One such plugin is installed on my Test server currently. It doesn't work exactly as one would expect... but it does work.

Comments

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    I would barely call that working. Does it start a new map or does it "create" the nether 100 billion blocks away from spawn in the current world?

Can you leave some obsidian and flint/steel on the server for testing? When we were testing it the other day, it looked like it was duplicating portals and I want to play with it.

I would love to see the Nether in SMP. I could use Nether Rack and Glow stone in so many projects.

-Digi
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    It uses the Persistence plugin to create a whole separate world for the nether. In fact, ops can use the plugin commands to create and link as many different nether and normal worlds as you want in any sort of order. Each one would end up have it's own world folder that could then be taken and made into a dedicated server if one wanted (or so it seems, I haven't tried this).

From the looks of it the other night, when you port to nether, it creates a portal in the exact same coordinates in nether (if one doesn't already exist there). If those coords are underground, it hollows out a space. If they're in the air, it creates the portal in mid-air. Obviously not the best solution... but that's how they have it working at this point. I'll log into Test later and drop some obsidian and flint/steel in a chest outside my topsy-turvy pyramid thing (near spawn) for anyone that wants to try things out.
  • SuperStrifeSuperStrife Florida
    edited March 2011
    Awesome, although I have to ask, does the persistance plugin which creates the 1 to 1 co-ordinates also somehow preserve the 7 to 1 real to nether block ratio?

Restating it another way, in SMP mode, I make a gate at my spawn point and walk 10 blocks to the next gate, I pop out 70 blocks away from spawn (I think its X7, it might be X10)

If the plugin makes a co-ordinate at the point in the real world, does that untie it from the 7 to 1 ratio from SMP? As in, if I make a gate at 100,100, walk 100 blocks in real world and make a gate at 200,100 then will the nether gate be at 200, 100 or at 116,100
    edited March 2011
    The plugin does handle scale. In fact, you can change the scale using the plugin making it 8:1 or 80:1 or 1:1. Unfortunately, the scale didn't seem to be working right when I was playing with it last night. The plugin is still considered to be an "alpha" release by the developer though.
    edited March 2011
    :rolleyes: 80:1 netherworld=awesome crap
    edited March 2011
    (I was just using those as examples, you can actually make the scale whatever you want. You could even make it so that you move faster through normal than nether if you wanted.)
    edited March 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    (I was just using those as examples, you can actually make the scale whatever you want. You could even make it so that you move faster through normal than nether if you wanted.)

that would be ridiculous, and make my number of deaths and subsequent FFFFFFF at losing sets of armor into giant holes and/or oceans of lava more frequent and severe