Umm, something's majorly wrong

colacola part legend, part devil... all manBalls deep Icrontian
edited March 2011 in Minecraft
You guys remember when I had been talking about my adventures way up north, and how I had an entire mountain claimed and was hollowing it out? Yea...just went out there and there is absolutely no trace of me ever being there. It looks exactly like it did when I went out there the first time, no torches, no house, no glowing obsidian gateway, and no partially hollowed out mountain. I'm really confused. I don't think someone could have done this by greifing, I'm fairly certain this is some sort of glitch. If you can fix it, please do, I put quite a bit of time into that place and that mountain, I'll get the coords if you need them, but right now I'm not in the mood to play.

Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    When was it that you did that work?
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    He has been working on that for months Ardi. I was playing regularly when he started.
    edited March 2011
    I don't know what to say then. We had a 1 day rollback when town got blown up last week. There was also a roll back when we moved from Ryder's server to my server (due to corruption). I don't think we rolled back that far at that point though. Maybe download one of the backups, load it up in single player and see if your work is there? If so I can try to splice it into the running world... Otherwise I dunno mang, this is why Minecraft is still beta...
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    It was still there when we rolled over to your server, ardi, that I'm almost completely sure of. I haven't been out there in roughly a month though, so I don't know what would have happened between then and now, but whatever it was, all the work I did is gone. I'll see about loading the backups though, where might I find them?
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    well this is interesting... I looked at a few of the backups and saw your house and cave on the January 23rd save, so I could plop that into the current world if you haven't worked on it since then. Wasn't there snow on the mountain when you got there? I suggest you check EVERYTHING that you did up there.
    edited March 2011
    I think early January would have been the last time I was out there doing any serious work, so I'd guess that one would be good to splice in. I'm still going to go through more recent ones just to see if I can find where the cutoff was, but for now I'd say just go with that.
    edited March 2011
    I don't have the backup ENT is referring to on my server (my backup script cleans up anything over 10d old in the backups dir... disk space). If he can provide it to me I'll try and figure out how to splice things in.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Ardi, you might want to consider keeping either a single backup of some specific day each week, or at least each month, in addition to your ten most recent days. Just in case.

Often, someone will not be able to check on all their properties within the ten day period, but as in cola's case, know that something they built was intact a month ago (for instance).
    edited March 2011
    Replacing this file should reset just Cola's mountain and the area immediately surrounding it. I don't see any other man made structures in the area, so it should be ok to roll back.

From the January 23rd backup:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2933950/r.-3.-1.mcr

Here's the area affected by the roll back.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=28869&stc=1&d=1300904065

Also, I found this while investigating the mystery of Cola's mountain. The cave is still there underneath his base.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=28870&stc=1&d=1300904481

If anyone would like the old backups, I can put them up. I still have Jan 18, 23 and 27 as well as Feb 6 and 19
    edited March 2011
    I moved that region file back into place.

@ghoodsum - I've been trying to avoid adding a ridiculous amount of complexity to my backup system. I am, after all, providing this service for free thus I'm trying to keep the whole thing to a manageable level. If someone wants to maintain an archive of old backups, they can feel free to do so (that's why I made them publicly available). I'm only maintaining the latest 10 days worth on the server for the time being.
    edited March 2011
    Aww, ya found my secret cave lol, yea, I'm planning on hollowing out the mountain to help with the construction of my megalithic structure :D

@Ardi and Null: THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I can't thank you enough for going through all that trouble to fix those chunks! I am eternally grateful :respect:
    edited March 2011
    No problem. I'll donate some cobblestone from the hall to your project sometime.
    edited March 2011
    YAYZ!